Podcast Bobby Gould Special (1 Viewer)

S

Sky Blues Extra

Don't miss another exclusive Sky Blues Extra special as we speak to former Coventry City player and manager Bobby Gould. We discuss his journey in to football and joining the Sky Blues as player. Throughout this heart-warming interview Bobby is honest yet hilarious as he looks back at his time as Coventry city manager, his FA Cup win at Wimbledon and his stint as boss of the Welsh national side. This really is pure Gould. Let's all sing together...

Listen Now...

fernandopartridge

I wouldn't bother listening to this one. Most of it was Gould rambling on like a bit of a pub bore, no insight whatsoever and the interviewers didn't do anything to try and illicit anything.

NortonSkyBlue

I wouldn't bother listening to this one. Most of it was Gould rambling on like a bit of a pub bore, no insight whatsoever and the interviewers didn't do anything to try and illicit anything.
You obviously have an agenda. I found it warm and entertaining. He loves the club, his failings as a player, manager and person were given honestly and although most of the content was in his autobiography it was clear he had a story to tell. An hour well spent.

Grendel

He’s always been the same really

JimmyHillsbeard

I thought it was just as expected. There’s some really interesting facets to Bobby Gould - he has a genuine loyalty and love for his home city and club and yet didn’t think twice about leaving for Arsenal or walking out As manager after a 5-1 defeat at QPR. Better and more experienced interviewers than the SkyBlue Extra team haven’t got into this so I didn’t expect them to be able to.

He said something really interesting about why he failed as an international manager (no international experience) but couldn’t be persuaded to reflect further on how this caused him problems (did the players respect him?) or how he initially thought he could overcome this gap in his cv. Instead he launched into a Richard Keys style banter reminiscence about wrestling with John Hartson.

All in all if you went to the podcast, like all the SBE ones tbh, to be told how brilliant Highfield Road was and how fantastic Jimmy Hill was (another man who walked out on his beloved club) you wouldn’t be disappointed. If you want a warm glow from hearing a man reading from his scrapbook about a fixture in 1969 you might find it here.

I like the podcasts but I still much prefer the Nii Lamptey ones. The SBE team have done brilliantly to get access to lots of players but please give over with the formulaic “as a player how much of a lift do the SBA give you at away games?” / “Tell is about Notts County away” questions to current players and the routinised “do you agree we should never have left Highfield Road?” ones to the ex-players.

fernandopartridge

I like the podcasts but I still much prefer the Nii Lamptey ones. The SBE team have done brilliantly to get access to lots of players but please give over with the formulaic “as a player how much of a lift do the SBA give you at away games?” / “Tell is about Notts County away” questions to current players and the routinised “do you agree we should never have left Highfield Road?” ones to the ex-players.

I agree with that. The lack of any probing gets me as well, interviewee makes a statement to be often me with "Yeah, definitely".

I think sometimes the interviewers have shown something of a lack of knowledge of past events, so perhaps miss some interesting (and what feel like obvious to me) questions.

Tommo1993

Interesting when you hear other perspectives of his scuffle with John Hartson... Wonder what he would’ve said if you brought up his humiliating Robbie Savage in front of the press.

ccfcway

Any ideas if Nil Lamptey one is back for new season, nothing since 10th June

speedie87

I agree, this was the only one I didn’t listen all the way through as he just started going off about random things and repeating himself

EalingSB

I listened to Bobby Gould on Quickly Kevin (a brilliant pod) so assume it's not radically different from that.

All credit to the SBE team for the work they've put in over the last six months ago bringing us some interesting podcast material.

As the guys get more experienced, hopefully they can deviate from the scripted questions and instead use these as a base to build the interview from. Every pod has the same formula: welcome, back to the beginning, time at Cov etc.

If you read an obituary it introduces the person, goes through their major achievements and then winds back to the beginning - this would work better. Keep bringing us the big names, though.

Love the Nii Lamptey show too but there was a lot of room for improvement with the Chris Kirkland pod - they interrupted him mid-sentence at least four times. Great to see the regular pod back with a pre-season preview, though.

AlansEyes

As a former journalist I do struggle to enjoy fans interviewing players. Always waiting for the probing question but more often get 'Yeah, definitely' before mechanically moving onto the next scripted question. That's not a knock on these pods, it is a definite skill and it took me a while to get there, but you can get to a point where if your interviewing skills are there and you put in enough research you don't need any questions written down and an interview should just flow like a conversation. I'd maybe write four or five key words down before an interview as a prompt if needed, but the best ones were when you could just sit and comfortably chat for 45 mins or so. Fingers crossed the pods get to that point.

Tommo1993

I listened to Bobby Gould on Quickly Kevin (a brilliant pod) so assume it's not radically different from that.

All credit to the SBE team for the work they've put in over the last six months ago bringing us some interesting podcast material.

As the guys get more experienced, hopefully they can deviate from the scripted questions and instead use these as a base to build the interview from. Every pod has the same formula: welcome, back to the beginning, time at Cov etc.

If you read an obituary it introduces the person, goes through their major achievements and then winds back to the beginning - this would work better. Keep bringing us the big names, though.

Love the Nii Lamptey show too but there was a lot of room for improvement with the Chris Kirkland pod - they interrupted him mid-sentence at least four times. Great to see the regular pod back with a pre-season preview, though.

Just so happened to listen to his appearance on Quickly Kevin today. I thought it was better than the SBE one.

pusbccfc

I thought it was just as expected. There’s some really interesting facets to Bobby Gould - he has a genuine loyalty and love for his home city and club and yet didn’t think twice about leaving for Arsenal or walking out As manager after a 5-1 defeat at QPR. Better and more experienced interviewers than the SkyBlue Extra team haven’t got into this so I didn’t expect them to be able to.

He said something really interesting about why he failed as an international manager (no international experience) but couldn’t be persuaded to reflect further on how this caused him problems (did the players respect him?) or how he initially thought he could overcome this gap in his cv. Instead he launched into a Richard Keys style banter reminiscence about wrestling with John Hartson.

All in all if you went to the podcast, like all the SBE ones tbh, to be told how brilliant Highfield Road was and how fantastic Jimmy Hill was (another man who walked out on his beloved club) you wouldn’t be disappointed. If you want a warm glow from hearing a man reading from his scrapbook about a fixture in 1969 you might find it here.

To be fair, Notts County away is what I want to hear about and each player has had a different perspective.

It's also nice to hear about the fans

Latest Nii Lamptey one was good. Interesting to hear them making passive comments clearly towards SBE. Be great if they could come together for a pod :LOL:

Sterling Archer

Yeah the Nii Lamptey podcast is still the Cov podcast of choice for me,

Fair play to the the SBE guys for their great knack of getting interviews with players but after listening to those interviews, I just find them dull and with no genuine insight unfortunately. Hopefully they can improve their interview technique. They also make some alarming basic mistakes about our history for so called huge fans of the club. Hopefully they see this as constructive criticsm rather than an unfair potshot. Also haven't they been caught out on Twitter for nicking other people's content without acknowledging it in recent times?

Users who are viewing this thread