Bobby Gould applied to be manager (1 Viewer)

Forza

Anyone listening to Talksport right now? Bobby Gould just said he applied for the manager role - but didn't get an interview.

He said once before that managing Cov again was on his bucket list! :eek:

Otis

Anyone listening to Talksport right now? Bobby Gould just said he applied for the manager role - but didn't get an interview.

He said once before that managing Cov again was on his bucket list! :eek:

And him not managing Cov again is on everyone's else's bucket list.

Grendel

Gould is a legend in his own mind.

His "application" had about as much chance of succeeding as Screaming Lord Such ever had at one his bi elections.

How can anyone seriously ever want him again.

He resigned sitting on a toilet last time - a fitting epitaph.

Tank Top

the blokes a bafoon

"Baffoon"!..If everyone associated with CCFC, had the passion
and Dedication, that Bobby Gould possesses for his Beloved Sky blues, we would not be in the sorry state in which we find ourselves today.
Bobby played for City, when they were at the peak of their powers, he went on to play for, Arsenal, Wolves, West Brom, West Brom, scoring goals, and becoming a firm Favourite with the Fans wherever he played,
He is an Honest, Dedicated, and loyal man, with Sky Blue spirit in his Blood, and to call him a Buffoon is an unwarrented insult, and far from the reality of what Bobby Gould stands for.
Tankie.....

theprince

What did Gould do the previous times he was here, yes he loves the applaudits for signing the likes of Stuart Pearce and a lot of the cup final team and you have to give credit for that but also remember Graham Withey, Dave Bamber, that daft goalie, Abaravic or something, Leigh Jenkinson has to be amongst the worst players ever here. Playing his son Jonathon instead of Oggy who was in his prime at the time. That little right back Paul Williams and the other full back Steve Morgan. Bloody useless.

Moff

What did Gould do the previous times he was here, yes he loves the applaudits for signing the likes of Stuart Pearce and a lot of the cup final team and you have to give credit for that but also remember Graham Withey, Dave Bamber, that daft goalie, Abaravic or something, Leigh Jenkinson has to be amongst the worst players ever here. Playing his son Jonathon instead of Oggy who was in his prime at the time. That little right back Paul Williams and the other full back Steve Morgan. Bloody useless.

How about look at Stuart Pearce, Trevor Peake, Dave Bennett, Terry Gibson (I could continue) instead of Graham Withey or Dave Bamber, who coincidently he moved on quickly when he realised they werent up to much, unlike today when players get new contracts instead.

On his second stint at the club he was constricted by cash flow and could only sign from the cheap end of the market, so explaining players like Morgan and Paul Williams. Still i didnt hear many complain when he signed Micky Quinn, or the other Paul Williams, nor when he took us to the higher reaches of the league, even topping the Premier league at one point.

Dont get me wrong I would not want him back as manager, but he is a fan first and foremost as well as a successfull ex player, and was an ex manager and has always displayed passion and devotion for the club, and I do not think is worthy of the criticism he recieves from some quarters.

theprince

You are correct Moff Gould is a fan first and that was his problem. I remember listening to Gary Neville interviewed on his retirement and was asked if he sees himself coming back as manager one day. He give a firm reply and said never, becaue i'm a fan and fans don't make good managers.

Ronfarmer

Gould had a great eye for a player. Some of the lower league players rose to the challenge. Some didn't and were moved on quick. Gould needed a decent coach to work with him and some of his man-management was dodgy but he was far from a buffoon.

shy_tall_knight

Gould formed the basis of the cup winning side in his first spell after Hatley Thomas Thompson Dyson Sealey Gillespie Whitton left. bought in from the lower leagues Benno Gynn Peake Oggy Killer. Pearce from non league and Gibbo who left before the cup final and Regis who was a big money purchase.

However having got us so high at Xmas 83/84 we fell badly avoiding relegation on the last day. The following season we purchased some very poor players Davie Bowman, an aging bob Latchford an even older Kenny hibbit. We were in the bottom 3 when he was sacked at Xmas and IMO would have been relegate the chaos of the teams and his performance at the 5-1 against Leicester sealed his fate.

He returned in 92 lots of lower league purchases john Williams the flying postman,Phil Babb (one of the best city players I've seen) Micky Quinn, got the best out of Rosario. But was let down by the board having to sell Kevin Gallagher and rosario. The following season was like the last started well but the decline was earlier another 5-1 defeat but he resigned not sure he would have been sacked but squad additions of Mick Hartford John Gayle & Steve Morgan were very poor.

Did a lot of good things, a lot of passion but too erratic to be in charge. Also playing his son in preference to Oggy was a poor error of judgement.

torchomatic

But you can say that about any manager so it's a silly thing to say. No manager of Coventry City has a 100% rate of successful signings. No manager for any club has. Has EVERY player signed by Ferguson, Wenger, et al been world class and made it to the first team?

And what about Borrowdale, Konstantopolous, etc They were useless too. Bloody Bobby Gould.

Nonleagueherewecome

Pedant Alert!

The Paul Williams he signed was a left-back/sometimes LM, not a RB.

He didn't sign "the other Paul Williams"-I think Ron Atkinson did?

Moff

Pedant Alert!

The Paul Williams he signed was a left-back/sometimes LM, not a RB.

He didn't sign "the other Paul Williams"-I think Ron Atkinson did?

Doh!!!

You are right, I meant John Williams 'the fastest postman in the west', not Paul Williams.

I will sit in the Dunce's corner :pointlaugh:

Up North Sky Blue

How about look at Stuart Pearce, Trevor Peake, Dave Bennett, Terry Gibson (I could continue) instead of Graham Withey or Dave Bamber, who coincidently he moved on quickly when he realised they werent up to much, unlike today when players get new contracts instead.

On his second stint at the club he was constricted by cash flow and could only sign from the cheap end of the market, so explaining players like Morgan and Paul Williams. Still i didnt hear many complain when he signed Micky Quinn, or the other Paul Williams, nor when he took us to the higher reaches of the league, even topping the Premier league at one point.

Dont get me wrong I would not want him back as manager, but he is a fan first and foremost as well as a successfull ex player, and was an ex manager and has always displayed passion and devotion for the club, and I do not think is worthy of the criticism he recieves from some quarters.

Paul Williams, the player that Big Ron signed?

Users who are viewing this thread