Bloody dog. (1 Viewer)

Tommo1993

Hi everyone. Hoping there’s some sort of dog whisperer on here.

Ours is just over 10 months old. Up until now we’ve been very lucky with her, she’s been a very clever and obedient dog. She’s suddenly entered a pretty disobedient and adventurous streak. Her recall certainly isn’t what it used to be and she’ll pretty much just shrug off any offered treats. We send her to this dog day care twice a week so she can interact with other dogs, which she loves, but the people who run it have also picked up her new habit.

Hoping it’s a phase she’ll naturally pass - but would still like to nip it in the bud!

AVWskyblue

Ours is just over 10 months old. Up until now we’ve been very lucky with her, she’s been a very clever and obedient dog. She’s suddenly entered a pretty disobedient and adventurous streak. Her recall certainly isn’t what it used to be and she’ll pretty much just shrug off any offered treats. We send her to this dog day care twice a week so she can interact with other dogs, which she loves, but the people who run it have also picked up her new habit.

Hoping it’s a phase she’ll naturally pass - but would still like to nip it in the bud!
Tommo it very much sounds like the dog day care centre is the root cause. Dogs are naturally pack animals and adhere to a strict order of leadership, within your home she had recognised you as the pack leader so looked up to and obeyed you, now at doggy club she is experiencing another leadership scale and is merely confused.

Sent from my Alba7Nou using Tapatalk

Nick

Administrator
Yeah are they being the same as you with discipline or do they just let her run mad with the other dogs who might not be trained the same?

Grendel

What breed is the dog

Tommo1993

Yeah are they being the same as you with discipline or do they just let her run mad with the other dogs who might not be trained the same?

At first they waited to let her roam free with the other dogs until we OK’d it for her to be off her lead - we’d trained and trained her in the back garden and out on the fenced off field down the road. From the looks of the little videos they send she’s off playing with the other dogs, and I think has been given that freedom for a while now. She’ll come back if we’re playing fetch, and she does mostly return if you call her - but when she knows you actually want her back on her lead she’ll keep her distance. The git. If she’s tired she’ll lie down and accept defeat.

I can’t comment re. discipline. They brought her back today and pointed it out, to which I was already aware - took 15 mins to get hold of her on those Ernesford Playing fields the other day. Like when a kid is fully aware that they’re pissing you off.

olderskyblue

Start re-training her recall on the lead again. Treats if she does it. Don’t let her run free until shes’s re-learnt. Keep her away from daycare until she’s got it properly is my advice. fwiw

Tommo1993

Also, even since before this started I was half aware that we taught her obedience and grew very slack and complacent. I think I may have added to it!

duffer

Ha, yeah I’ve been told that could be a big factor! She’s grown a little bit since this.

I think we’ll be trying a bit of retraining, don’t want her legging it too far by accident.

View attachment 25964

I don't know why, but when I saw that picture the phrase that immediately sprang to mind was "mischief writ large". 😁

I don't know much about dogs, but with kids I was told that the first twenty years are the hardest.

Sorry mate, not much use I know, but she is a lovely looking dog if that's any consolation! 🙂

Tommo1993

I don't know why, but when I saw that picture the phrase that immediately sprang to mind was "mischief writ large". 😁

I don't know much about dogs, but with kids I was told that the first twenty years are the hardest.

Sorry mate, not much use I know, but she is a lovely looking dog if that's any consolation! 🙂

When we went to the breeder in Machynlleth she showed us pics of a previous litter, and they all looked different so we didn’t know what we’d end up with. We got her out of what was the second accidental litter.

ovduk78

Ha, yeah I’ve been told that could be a big factor! She’s grown a little bit since this.

I think we’ll be trying a bit of retraining, don’t want her legging it too far by accident.

View attachment 25964
She's beautiful. Not sure the madness of a spaniel and the boundless energy of a collie is a good combination though but she will give you a lifetime of great memories.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Sounds like adolescemce may have kicked in to boot. All you can do is maintain as much consistency as possible and you'll have to stick at it. You've said yourself you may have slacked off a bit in this area and that, along with hormones and possibly the day care bit may well have come together to effect the change in behaviour.

Not that im any good at any of the above, our whippet does what he likes once off lead pretty much...so he stays on it as much as possible!

RedSalmon

A lot can depend on where you walk her. Got a Belgian Shepherd Malinois and when she was younger she was a right handful to the point I stopped taking her up the park as there were to many distractions and great big open spaces she could run off into (which she did a lot).
Instead I started taking her up the Green way in Kenilworth and it helped a lot as it was more difficult (although not impossible) for her to run off as she could only go up or down the track.
Lots of other good dog owners up there too and it is a very pleasant walk.

Sky Blue Harry H

I was told that after training a dog (puppy) they hit a stage of adolescence where their brain suddenly throws away a lot of what they have learned and you have to re-start the learning process. My dog is now 13 months old, and some things are still a bit hit and miss. Obviously certain breeds have certain traits. My (dog's) own issue is barking - particularly at men. Gets on great with 99 % of other dogs, but stick a bloke in a hi-vis jacket in front of him (or a cat) and it's game on !!

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

I guess you tried many things. Not read all the posts. I look at her and see a dog that needs engagement, stimulation, and about 5 miles of walk per day…. Do you think she’d do agility? Training to retrieve decoys. Hunt for treats? Hide and seek? Running with someone when she is old enough.

RegTheDonk

I'd imagine it's the day care. She's interacting with other dogs and having a whale of a time. Anything else doesn't come close now. That's something you can't avoid if you're both working, you can't leave her home alone all day. Only alternative is to look for a local dog walker/sitter who will come out and let her out for a wee and play with her for half an hour or, better still, take her for a half hour walk. Just to break the day up and let her have a wee/poo, but also get her relying more on humans again for interaction. My missus and daugher do this they charge £10 a visit, one-to-one service and no group walks. We don't live in Cov but there will probably be someone local to you.

If the recall has gone down hill, it's probably becasue she's learning that off the lead, sniffing around, having fun, meeting other dogs -it's great. Coming back for recall means on the lead and home. Make the recall worth it - chicken treats, cheese perhaps, something worth coming back for. Or playing with a ball.

I'm no expert btw, just things I've picked up over the years with our own dogs.

SkyBlueScottie

Latest theories suggests doing the same walk each day also contributes to this type of behaviour. Weve started hiding toys, treats while at home while also working on commands, our is a Dachshund / Patterdale cross. He was a rescue so having to find what works well has been a bit difficult as we got him last years and he was already 15 months old.

Mcbean

You have had a range of answers and truth is it’s a number of them - we had Springers for 25 years and I reckon she has extended her range with the various activities and enjoys that more than a treat - so I think as you have said some retraining is necessary on the long lead with lots of praise when she recalls - good luck - lovely looking dog

Tommo1993

You have had a range of answers and truth is it’s a number of them - we had Springers for 25 years and I reckon she has extended her range with the various activities and enjoys that more than a treat - so I think as you have said some retraining is necessary on the long lead with lots of praise when she recalls - good luck - lovely looking dog

Cheers McBean. We were already working on her pulling. That as well as the recall seem to be picking up. Seems to work if I crouch down to her level.

Mcbean

Cheers McBean. We were already working on her pulling. That as well as the recall seem to be picking up. Seems to work if I crouch down to her level.
for pulling you really have to firm - ie reverse when she pulls - we used a gentle leader which is a soft noose around the nose and neck - when they pull their head goes done - they get fed up after a bit - the harnesses that snap on around the back dont have the same effect imo

Tommo1993

for pulling you really have to firm - ie reverse when she pulls - we used a gentle leader which is a soft noose around the nose and neck - when they pull their head goes done - they get fed up after a bit - the harnesses that snap on around the back dont have the same effect imo

Yeah a walk around our block that should take about 15-20 mins took over an hour last week. The noose is a challenge in itself.

Users who are viewing this thread