Blinded by Pointless Passing (1 Viewer)

johnwillomagic

I think that many have been blinded by the fact that we are playing "great" passing football.

At Millwall in the first half we were neat and tidy but a lot of our passing was along our defence and went absolutely nowhere.....I think the Millwall players went in for a cup of tea first half and let our defence and Sammy pass it amongst themeselves in our half for most of it!

I also read by many that with our team as it is we should not play more directly.....rubbish our players are techincally not good enough to play this passing game at a fast enough tempo to be an attacking force! Juke is a good old fashioned strong centre half who likes it played up to him quickly and Cody looks like an off Juke's shoulder kind of forward who again wants the ball played more quickly than he gets it at present.

I think unless we get new personnel or do go more direct at times we will go down no doubt about it.

Having said that having supported Cov for many years I can see us getting something out of todays game which would be typical! :facepalm:

PUSB

Otis

I'm sure some City fans think this football malarkey is like ice skating and you get points for artistic merit.

Looking at the Millwall video we were dispossessed in midfield twice (Clingan and Baker) with both lapses resulting in two goals.

We always seem to be overun in midfield where our "pretty passing" continually breaks down on the half way line.

As per one of my previous posts - "is the diamond flawed" - it's certainly beginning to crack methinks.

PUSB

stupot07

We definitely finding the transition from midfield to attack difficult although I'm not sure switch to a direct long ball style is the way forward. For one we'll give away position to easily and our midfield are that slow if would really be up to juke and Cody to do it alone.

I think the big problem has been the lack of continuity in the midfield - yes clingan has played every minute and bell has started all bar 3 games this season put the other two midfield positions have changed frequently, add to the fact that Thomas and bigi have started more matches than baker, deegan and sheffers due to injury and suspension. This has meant we have had to try 4 different people at the tip of the diamond and one of those was rod! This makes it difficult to build a system, learning week on week and progressly improving. In fact when you look at the entire season we've never manages to put the same team out more than 2 games running, in fact we have named 10 or 11 different starting line ups this season. This lack of continuity, which has been no fault of thorns (injury, suspension, fitness issues) must be a major factor that us hindering the development of the system.

Users who are viewing this thread