Blaze 2 Devils 1 (1 Viewer)

Tad

Thought I should give these guys a mention today as they played AMAZING! Blaze are three players down, but the team we have this season has managed to pull out great results so far. They've battled hard with determination, grit and at a very high tempo against a fully fit Cardiff Devils team. Coventry won 2-1 after Leeb scored the overtime winner. Our tough guy, Benn Olson, did his part and not only took on 1 player, but had 2 big fights and won both to protect the team. The fans and atmosphere was brilliant too! Great result guys, hope they keep it up!

Houdi

Thought I should give these guys a mention today as they played AMAZING! Blaze are three players down, but the team we have this season has managed to pull out great results so far. They've battled hard with determination, grit and at a very high tempo against a fully fit Cardiff Devils team. Coventry won 2-1 after Leeb scored the overtime winner. Our tough guy, Benn Olson, did his part and not only took on 1 player, but had 2 big fights and won both to protect the team. The fans and atmosphere was brilliant too! Great result guys, hope they keep it up!
Yep fantastic performance with a short benched team who leave it all on the ice.The new manager could do worse than take his team down to the Skydome and watch a team who show real pride in representing this City.What a difference to last season woeful team,this is proper Blaze hockey tough gritty and 100% committed.Win or lose you know you will get entertained from a fully committed team.Olson won more fights tonight than the last 2 years sides won all together.

beduth

I was at the Skydome as well , and yes what a game , considering the wage bill compared to their sporting counterparts over at the Ricoh , the Sky Blues could learn a thing or two about earning their monthly salary , i was at the Shrewsbury game as well as at to-days debacle ,all i can say is what aload of crap by the the Sky blues .

Nick

Administrator
What was the fighting all about? They were too busy trying to pull shirts over their heads and sleeves over their arms than actually going at it.

I am not up with ice hockey, it was my first time tonight but how does him having a fight protect the team?

Tad

What was the fighting all about? They were too busy trying to pull shirts over their heads and sleeves over their arms than actually going at it.

I am not up with ice hockey, it was my first time tonight but how does him having a fight protect the team?

The games get very heated as you saw, and players do things to wind other players up, play dirty (slashing, heavy hitting etc). They do this to get a mental edge over their rivals and a physical one. When they start doing this you need someone to stand up and say no. Your not going to take it and your not going to let them get away with it. That's how fights break out.

Nick

Administrator
The thing is though, they are obviously on ice so it is slippy so it just seems as though they are trying to get them down on the floor rather than knock them out. I don't think the fighting last night does say "we won't take it". Then there were some Cardiff fans taking it all serious stood around the outside and saying how the cardiff player kicked his ass and then being dicks.

I wanted to see blood on the ice :(

Maybe my opinion has been dashed on Coventry Blaze after a run in with a couple of the players a few years back. :jerkit:

Tad

The thing is though, they are obviously on ice so it is slippy so it just seems as though they are trying to get them down on the floor rather than knock them out. I don't think the fighting last night does say "we won't take it". Then there were some Cardiff fans taking it all serious stood around the outside and saying how the cardiff player kicked his ass and then being dicks.

I wanted to see blood on the ice :(

Maybe my opinion has been dashed on Coventry Blaze after a run in with a couple of the players a few years back. :jerkit:

Blood doesn't really happen as much as people make out about hockey. A lot of people have this really ugly imagine around hockey just cause they fight. Personally, I rather see heavy hits and skill over the fighting. As you pointed out, it's kinda hard to fight on ice. But that's just me. Seen players get some nasty cuts and needed stitches etc and still play - makes you laugh when you see footballers diving over grass XD

It's all good fun though. Fans getting into the heat of the moment, but they don't take it off the ice. Can't agree with you about the players though. Most of them are friendly and will talk to you fan or not.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Oh this was a while ago so the players are probably long gone now anyway ;)

The atmosphere was decent and it was nice to watch something other than football! Also nice being able to watch and have a beer!

Tad

Oh this was a while ago so the players are probably long gone now anyway ;)

The atmosphere was decent and it was nice to watch something other than football! Also nice being able to watch and have a beer!

Hmm..willing to say one of the "players" you ran into was Greg Chambers. Never liked him if I'm honest. Cared more about partying then hockey and brought other players down to his level. Shame really. As on his day he was actually a good player. His life I suppose.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it though :D

Nah, little Canadian bald fella but there were a few of them....

i would say danny stewart, always up for a scrap, lol. the last couple of years have i would say just been a transition period, with taking over hull stingrays an sponsorship issues. now we are back to a proper blaze team and hopefully mike danton gets a visa cuz i cant wait to see him play. and with problems in the nhl chances are there maybe some players coming to these shores and get to see some proper nhl heavyweight fights....... come on you blaze

Tad

i would say danny stewart, always up for a scrap, lol. the last couple of years have i would say just been a transition period, with taking over hull stingrays an sponsorship issues. now we are back to a proper blaze team and hopefully mike danton gets a visa cuz i cant wait to see him play. and with problems in the nhl chances are there maybe some players coming to these shores and get to see some proper nhl heavyweight fights....... come on you blaze

Danton's had his visa denied sadly. I'm not too surprised, felt like it was always a shot in the dark. Panthers signed Anthony Stewart from the NHL last night which should be fun. Games against them are always heated :D

Tad

Did I hear right Tad that Russ Cowley is out for a few months?

Sadly, yes. It was reported he could be out the rest of the season, but he's trying his best to come back soon as possible. A few think, including coach Thommo, that he could be back around Christmas. I hope he's back soon. Weird not seeing him in the line up.

The only plus sides are we're still playing well and due to not being able to get Mike Danton over here, Thommo has signed Mike Bayrack. Good pick up I think. He's an experienced player who knows how to score goals.

Last edited:

Houdi

Another fantastic win for the Blaze tonight 2 down in Sheffield coming back to win 4-3.Still short benched the team just won't quit.Last night they came back from 5-2 down at home to Hull to win on penalty shots.Added bonus tonight Olson battered a Steeler which is always nice.:claping hands:

Gaz

How much is it to go the ice hockey ?
I'd like to go at least once just to see what it's about.

£17 but is a good family night out. we play nottingham panthers in a couple of weeks and cardiff the week after, theyre the games to go to. think kiddies are £11 but a family of four is bout £40

Tad

What a win! This team is amazing! They never quit. Guidice deserves player of the week for me. hasn't stopped scoring this weekend. been vital for us. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread