Black (1 Viewer)

cyril

Nick barmby was an average manager for 6 months. Why would we be interested?

TommyZoom

If he does get the job I sense this forum will have multiple threads named...

"I Told You So"...

Either for good or bad.

ricohman

Yes, and as others have stated why wouldnt we take him.

Were scraping the barrel at the minute, and eric black is certainly not bottom of the barrel. Lower your expectations and get real, he would be an above average appointment

coop

blacks gone away and been number 2 for a few years so the experience of the championship and prem could of given him the experience he needs to be a good manager he could just click it all in place you never no

Last edited:

The Reverend Skyblue

Bruce might have agreed to work with the exsisting coaching staff when he took the Hull job, or Black may not have wanted to go and live in Hull,its a bit out of the way, so these and many others could be reasons could be why he did'nt go with Bruce to Hull.

Black has worked all over the place and in all the leagues bar league 2, so he has the experience. He would get us playing the right way and get us fit again. The Adkins of this world would'nt come to Cov imo,so we have to be realistic,and i believe Black would come here and we could afford him, he could work with the youngsters we have, and i personally would rather have him than any other person out of work at the moment who would realistically think of coming to us

sw88

Chief Commentator!
So what hes been out of 'number one' management for 10 years, but hes still been in the game. And in the English game at that!

It might not have worked out for him as Blackburn caretaker but their club was screwed, more so than ours is now and how it was then under McGinnity.

He could prove to be the next best thing, he could prove to be the worst decision SISU make (although thats difficult given their running if the club since their takeover this far). But how will we know unless we take the punt? Hes got more experience than Carsley.

I think hes given us some of the best football we've seen in some years, during my time watching the Sky Blues anyway.

Definately a yes from me!

I agree about the number 2 thing aswell. Its worked out alright for Pearson and Clarke who 'assisted' for a number of years before taking te step up to being number 1.

On the other hand, Phil Brown used to be a number 2. And I don't want him

Paxman II

I can't make my mind up tbf.

I would not object to Ian Dowie tbh. he was shit on when he was here. Think he would see it as unfinished business and I think the club where we are is a good fit for him.
There are a few that I would certainly contemplate and you may not have thought about...

George Burley, Paul Jewel, Dennis Wise, Roy Keane.

Less likely would be some of these although I would not rule out unemployed managers whoever they are wanting to come here as we are a 'bigger club' than the yeovils and such with obvious potential going forward so with that in mind perhaps not unrealistic to think of:

Owen Coyle, Alan Curbishley.

Couple of guys out of our league but I'd at least approach them if I was Fisher: Gianlucca Vialli and Roberto DiMatteo.

My sensible top 3? George Burley, Paul Jewel, Alan Curbishley.

Sick Boy

Even though he liked to talk about amino acids a bit too much, I would like to see Dowie back here. I am sure that he would have done a lot better than Coleman if he had been given the money to spend.

To use the hyperbole of other posters about managers, Dowie had his limbs well and truely amputed and fed to the dogs. Then when it looked as though a surgeon would come along and stitch them back on, he was thrown into the depths of hell to perish.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
Do Matteo. From Chelsea to Coventry. Cant see it myself

Coyle is a bit similar to Adkins - id love to see him here but very unrealistic. To go from being a successful Premiership manager (although Coyle did get Bolton relegated admittedly) to league one is a big jump.

Curbishley, unlike Black has been out of the game (or atleast not in the spot light of a club, on a managerial / assistant level.

Burley and Jewell haven't really been that successful and may have had their peak of their career already. Jewell especially with his work at Wigan.

Vialli, really?

Dowie? Id welcome him back. He wasnt wanted by SISU from the start and was never going to get any support in the job.

Wise? If hes interested i wouldn't be against his appointment but not sure he wouldn't clash with SISU.

Keane, didnt like as a player / person (get that from his punditry side) and dont really set the world alight at Sunder land, or atleast he wouldn't have without spending millions

Nonleagueherewecome

Never managed accept in short term caretaker capacity. prefered being a number 2. Now in the cold as for once even Bruce did not take him this time. That could mean something too. Not dissing the guy, very likeable as I recall but we don't want someone who has to cut his teeth at being number 1. We need experienced managers and fast.

He was manager of Motherwell for a couple of years before he joined us!

Black6Osprey

I couldn't believe when Black was on Keys and Gray today, old Keys didn't even ask if he had applied for the job.

Seemed to be more interested in getting his bad back sorted out than applying for any managerial jobs.

@richh87

Black or Wise. I wouldn't object to Phil Brown - got to remember that the Hull stats Otis posted include the struggle in the Premiership for two (I think that's right) years

Nonleagueherewecome

My aunt Becky could manage in Scotland. Sorry don't count! ;)

Sir Alex Ferguson would still be at Aberdeen or St Mirren by that logic!

Nonleagueherewecome

Black or Wise. I wouldn't object to Phil Brown - got to remember that the Hull stats Otis posted include the struggle in the Premiership for two (I think that's right) years

That is a great point, but he is a bit of a plonker, isn't he? Look at the mess he got into with Bullard and off-field shenanigans, not what we need after we've finally started sorting out our lack of professionalism.

Mucca Mad Boys

Ok, we all took that into account with Hull, but what about more recently, PNE, he struggled with them! That sticks more in my mind than his time at Hull.

junglej13

I don't know if this has been mentioned on either thread but I see Black is confirmed to be at the Ricoh on Saturday to attendee the legends day... Mind you so is Noel Whelan.

Brighton Sky Blue

Black's spell here was nearly 10 years ago-what on Earth makes people still mention his name every time we have a vacancy?

torchomatic

But why is he? He's been a number two, not always successfully for a decade. Why is that "good"? It's only because he did well and then let go in a rubbish way by the club. You could almost guarantee that some would be asking for Thorn if he'd only been kept on for the end of that first season in charge.

I think we should look forward not back. So for me it's a no to Black, Dowie, McAllister or anyone who used to manage us. I wouldn't want Wise either.

He is just a good candidate.

cyril

But thorn was only on the periphery of the game from the time he retired from playing. Black is as good as we will get and he wants it

torchomatic

I disagree. He's not as good as we can get. If he hadn't managed here ten years ago then his name wouldn't even be mentioned. People whinge about SISU taking the easy option and making snap decisions and this would be a shining example if they give him the job. If it's between him, Brown, Megson and Wise then fair enough, but I'm sure we can do better than Black.

But thorn was only on the periphery of the game from the time he retired from playing. Black is as good as we will get and he wants it

Colonel Mustard

But why is he? He's been a number two, not always successfully for a decade. Why is that "good"? It's only because he did well and then let go in a rubbish way by the club. You could almost guarantee that some would be asking for Thorn if he'd only been kept on for the end of that first season in charge. I think we should look forward not back. So for me it's a no to Black, Dowie, McAllister or anyone who used to manage us. I wouldn't want Wise either.

1. flashy, exciting, attacking football
2. can work within constraints and get the most out of average players
3. is unemployed, so cheap for the club
4. unlike every other manager we may speculate about, Black is a man who actually did the business at CCFC. It is so counter-intuitive to hold that against him.
5. intelligent (passes the 'Shawsy & Carso test')
6. now has considerable experience at higher levels of football, plus more contacts around the game

etc etc.

Users who are viewing this thread