Bits of the UK you've never been to ..... (1 Viewer)

tommydazzle

Stayed in a small hamlet near Charing in Kent and was surprised at how beautiful and quiet it was. Also how high we were - being able to see both coasts. This bit of the Weald was very wooded and we walked miles without seeing cars and we're lucky to have a great country pub just up the road.

Coincidentally, I am currently transcribing my grandad's war diaries and it jumped out at me that he spent some months organising the coastal defences in Kent and stayed in Charing - somewhere I'd never heard of until I visited.

Otis

If you enjoyed the Lake District, you would LOVE Scotland!
Except for the Scottish. ;)

As with most things, it depends where you go I suppose.

I know a lad who moved up to Aberdeen and got so much shit for being English and also a friend of my daughter's, who went to live in a very small town somewhere in Scotland and her mum said people were not nice at all to them because they were English.

Also, one of my wife's clients just moved down from Scotland to England and she says the English are much nicer than the Scots.

I'm sure in many, many places the Scots there are lovely though. I pretty much always find the Scots to be a friendly bunch.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
More Scotland pics...….
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 018.jpg Me and the missus at Gretna Green
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 086.jpg Salmon River in the Trossachs
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 087.jpg Salmon river again
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 090.jpg Waterfall in a valley
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 092.jpg Fort William
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 119.jpg Mcnab graveyard in Killin
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 120.jpg The Falls of Dochart, Killin
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 127.jpg Me looking for salmon!
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 137.jpg Ferry from Oban to some islands or other!
Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 142.jpg Missus and her aunty in Oban

WhaleOilBeefHooked

More Scotland pics...….
View attachment 10685 Me and the missus at Gretna Green
View attachment 10686 Salmon River in the Trossachs
View attachment 10687 Salmon river again
View attachment 10688 Waterfall in a valley
View attachment 10689 Fort William
View attachment 10690 Mcnab graveyard in Killin
View attachment 10691 The Falls of Dochart, Killin
View attachment 10692 Me looking for salmon!
View attachment 10693 Ferry from Oban to some islands or other!
View attachment 10694 Missus and her aunty in Oban

Very few interactions or photos of the people though, I see.

Houchens Head

I know a lad who moved up to Aberdeen and got so much shit for being English and also a friend of my daughter's, who went to live in a very small town somewhere in Scotland and her mum said people were not nice at all to them because they were English.

Also, one of my wife's clients just moved down from Scotland to England and she says the English are much nicer than the Scots.

I'm sure in many, many places the Scots there are lovely though. I pretty much always find the Scots to be a friendly bunch.
I think that's pretty much the same wherever you go. Everyone hates the English! Nothing new! :emoji_smile:

Houchens Head

Very few interactions or photos of the people though, I see.
Okay. If you insist…. Here's a couple we met and spent a day or two with in Perth. (I go on holiday to see sights and scenery, not to photograph complete strangers.)

Attachments

• Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 099.jpg
    Killin Holiday Sept 8th 2007 099.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10

Otis

More Scotland pics...….
View attachment 10685 Me and the missus at Gretna Green
View attachment 10686 Salmon River in the Trossachs
View attachment 10687 Salmon river again
View attachment 10688 Waterfall in a valley
View attachment 10689 Fort William
View attachment 10690 Mcnab graveyard in Killin
View attachment 10691 The Falls of Dochart, Killin
View attachment 10692 Me looking for salmon!
View attachment 10693 Ferry from Oban to some islands or other!
View attachment 10694 Missus and her aunty in Oban
Nice last pic, but who's the younger woman with your missus there?

NorthernWisdom

Mrs. Wisdom's brother moved to Aberdeen and has made it home, so maybe it's who you are ;)

(as it happens, Aberdeen and east coast of Scotland is one area I haven't been mind you)

And as we're on Scotland pics...
DSC01221.JPG

fernandopartridge

Glasgow is the friendliest city I've been to in the UK I think.

Otis

Mrs. Wisdom's brother moved to Aberdeen and has made it home, so maybe it's who you are ;)

(as it happens, Aberdeen and east coast of Scotland is one area I haven't been mind you)

And as we're on Scotland pics...
View attachment 10700
He was a lovely lad to be honest. Think the problem may have been that he went up there to supervise workers and maybe they didn't like a 'foreigner' muscling in.

Houchens Head

Strangely, when I went to Eire to trace family and look up old records we (me and 'er indoors), were treated with the 'cold shoulder' quite often. Eventually, one evening when we were in a bar in Cork, I had been ignored after asking for a Guinness and something for the missus, I lost my rag and eventually called the barman over and said to him "Listen mate, I may have an English accent but my missus is Polish/Lithuanian, and I'm here to see my Irish family here in Cork! Are you going to serve me?!" He just looked at me, smiled and apologised. "Bloody hell Sur!" he said, "I didn't know. What'll you be having, and it's on the house!" My English accent had allowed me to feel alienated in the country of my family, but I understood.

Gazolba

I've never been to Scotland, Ireland, Isle of Man or Channel Islands. Have been just about everywhere else (including IOW). Love Wales and love Cornwall. Favourite place is Peak District in Derbyshire.

Otis

I haven't been to the Channel Islands either, but then of course, they are not part of the UK. ;)

Houchens Head

Had a fortnight in Jersey a good few years ago. Really enjoyed it. The German Underground Hospital was fascinating. And of course, all the locals seemed to remember the Jerries being there during the war! Oh, and went to visit Lily Langtree's grave. (The Jersey Lily) older posters would have hear of her".

Sick Boy

Strangely, when I went to Eire to trace family and look up old records we (me and 'er indoors), were treated with the 'cold shoulder' quite often. Eventually, one evening when we were in a bar in Cork, I had been ignored after asking for a Guinness and something for the missus, I lost my rag and eventually called the barman over and said to him "Listen mate, I may have an English accent but my missus is Polish/Lithuanian, and I'm here to see my Irish family here in Cork! Are you going to serve me?!" He just looked at me, smiled and apologised. "Bloody hell Sur!" he said, "I didn't know. What'll you be having, and it's on the house!" My English accent had allowed me to feel alienated in the country of my family, but I understood.

Hahaha! My family are from Limerick and Tipperary and i've had similar experiences after speaking but weirdly one time it seemed to matter less once they realised I was with one of cousins and uncle.

I once asked for a stamp to England in one of the Aran Islands and the old woman behind the counter was clearly taken a back and said I didn't expect to hear that accent come from your mouth.

Terry Gibson's perm

Been to a lot of places in the uk but seen little as I am always there working, been to Jersey and Guernsey which are both lovely but expensive and been to the IOM which is a dump and only seems to have one interesting thing the tt

Users who are viewing this thread