Birmingham Clean Air Zone (1 Viewer)

ovduk78

When I came down for the Huddersfield game in my 12 year old Volvo I went into Birmingham to get a new helmet & followed sat navigation to the shop. I had no idea a Clean Air Zone existed but I drove through it without noticing the sign, which I now know what it looks like but it's not obvious especially to someone not local who never knew about these areas. The first I found out was when the fixed penalty for £60 was delivered a few weeks later with an increase to £120 if not paid within 14 days. I appealed to BCC on grounds of not being local & not knowing about Clean Air Zones but they refused my appeal and said fixed penalty was now £120. They did however say that I had the right of appeal to a tribunal and gave me their website so I appealed to them stating my case & the route I took and yesterday I was informed that my appeal was successful as BCC didn't even contest it.

If you are unlucky enough to have to drive into Birmingham and go into the Clean Air Zone and get a fixed penalty just appeal and according to a Facebook protest group against BCC's Zone you have a 99.5% chance of winning as they very rarely contest the appeals.

Nick

Administrator
I think I might have driven in it a few weeks ago, not had anything though.

Like you say, they don't really make it obvious where it is or anything.

ovduk78

I think it applies to vehicles over a certain age which is why I got one. I did wonder why the underpass was so quiet!! The sign is apparently a blue circle with a B in it, could mean anything if you don't know.

Grendel

how old is your car? It has to be about 16 years old petrol and 7 years diesel

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think this is something that CCC have been threatened with recently if air quality doesn't improve, especially on the routes that connect to the ring road which is where the worst problems lie.

I think some of the measures they're bringing in will make it worse though. The cycle lane on Binley Road looks like it's going to cause all sorts of problems, which is especially annoying as a stretch of that has huge expanses either side to extend the path with a cycle route but instead they've just reduced the width of the road.

fatso

I think it applies to vehicles over a certain age which is why I got one. I did wonder why the underpass was so quiet!! The sign is apparently a blue circle with a B in it, could mean anything if you don't know.
Fucking ageism !!!

pipkin73

Excuse my ignorance, these things have only come in since i've lived out here.
If your driving along and enter one of these zones, how do you pay?
I assume you don't all pull over and pay at a ticket machine.

Obviously, if you know beforehand you can pay online before you travel, but like the OP if you know nothing about it you won't do that.
So your driving along and see the sign (no way i would have known what it meant either) but you somehow understand a B in a blue sign means clean air zone, how do you then pay?

NorthernWisdom

Excuse my ignorance, these things have only come in since i've lived out here.
If your driving along and enter one of these zones, how do you pay?
I assume you don't all pull over and pay at a ticket machine.

Obviously, if you know beforehand you can pay online before you travel, but like the OP if you know nothing about it you won't do that.
So your driving along and see the sign (no way i would have known what it meant either) but you somehow understand a B in a blue sign means clean air zone, how do you then pay?
How long do I have to pay the daily fee?
If your vehicle is subject to the daily fee you can pay:

• six days in advance of the day of your visit
  • the day of your visit
  • six days after the day of your visit
You can pay the daily fee online:

pipkin73

How long do I have to pay the daily fee?
If your vehicle is subject to the daily fee you can pay:

• six days in advance of the day of your visit
  • the day of your visit
  • six days after the day of your visit
You can pay the daily fee online:
Cheers mate, seems easy enough as long as you know the sign. Any idea what the B stands for on the blue background. I would have though something like Clean AZ would be better. Still unless you what what it means it wont help.

pipkin73

How much is the daily rate? Could make working in Brum once you add on parking dam expensive.

napolimp

When I came down for the Huddersfield game in my 12 year old Volvo I went into Birmingham to get a new helmet & followed sat navigation to the shop. I had no idea a Clean Air Zone existed but I drove through it without noticing the sign, which I now know what it looks like but it's not obvious especially to someone not local who never knew about these areas. The first I found out was when the fixed penalty for £60 was delivered a few weeks later with an increase to £120 if not paid within 14 days. I appealed to BCC on grounds of not being local & not knowing about Clean Air Zones but they refused my appeal and said fixed penalty was now £120. They did however say that I had the right of appeal to a tribunal and gave me their website so I appealed to them stating my case & the route I took and yesterday I was informed that my appeal was successful as BCC didn't even contest it.

If you are unlucky enough to have to drive into Birmingham and go into the Clean Air Zone and get a fixed penalty just appeal and according to a Facebook protest group against BCC's Zone you have a 99.5% chance of winning as they very rarely contest the appeals.

Same happened to me. Didn't know about the zone and entered at night, when it was raining. The sign was obscured by a bus stop and tree when I went back to have a look. I got 2 fines as I entered before midnight and left just after midnight. My appeal to BCC was immediately turned down with a generic response, I appealed at the next level and BCC didn't contest either of them. I'm actually thinking now it would be easier, and cheaper, to just drive in and contest it, than to pay it online.

ovduk78

I've got to give BCC some credit, they never stop trying. I've just received by post the rejection to my 1st appeal dated 29/06/22 and details of how I can pay the £120, I originally received this via email on 29/06/22 & successfully appealed it. Maybe they are hoping that I am not thinking straight & will just pay them, they're gonna be disappointed 🤣

Travs

The clean air zone in Bham is fairly well signposted (imo) on the turnings off the ring-road into the zone.

I expect the main issues are caused by people coming down the expressway and not realising, as here you don't have to physically turn into the zone to go inside it.

Nick

Administrator
The clean air zone in Bham is fairly well signposted (imo) on the turnings off the ring-road into the zone.

I expect the main issues are caused by people coming down the expressway and not realising, as here you don't have to physically turn into the zone to go inside it.

Yeah I went in that way, it was night as well :(

stay_up_skyblues

When it first came in my folks assumed it was the same as the London congestion charge and paid it before setting off. They’ve got a 2020 plate hybrid 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread