billy daniels (1 Viewer)

craigSKYBLUE

Starts today in holding position...jennings not match fit maybe,either way i would rather macca started and kilbane held until stevie j is fit

Ccfcisparks

#CoventryCity XI v #YeovilTown - Murphy, Hussey, Brown, Wood, Clarke, Kilbane (c), Fleck, Daniels, Barton, Ball, McDonald

Nonleagueherewecome

Fleck for Sheff, otherwise unchanged then. Bit worried about Billy, hope he comes through it OK. I'm still a bit shocked that he's not a striker anymore, tbh. Does anyone know if he played deeper when at school? After all, Hall was a striker originally, hard as that is to believe!

EDIT: just spotted Barton in for Baker. I guess they didn't want to risk 3 "not 100% fit" midfielders in one game?

torchomatic

Nonleagueherewecome

So, was Billy completely out of his depth at this level in that position? More FAO people who went to the game.

sw88

Chief Commentator!
I do not know why AT is sticking with the kid? It's almost like he's trying to make a statement but I don't know what the statement is!?!

Last season with Bigi / Thomas was different. That statement was visible - I need help / I'm stuck with playing kids etc. but these two could play.

From what I've seen of Daniels, it is too soon for him.

I don't want to be too critical of the lad as he's trying his best, but I fear playing him is doing him more damage than it is good.

He offers us very little and has been non existent in both games he's played IMO

SkyBlue_Bear83

I do not know why AT is sticking with the kid? It's almost like he's trying to make a statement but I don't know what the statement is!?!

Last season with Bigi / Thomas was different. That statement was visible - I need help / I'm stuck with playing kids etc. but these two could play.

I don't want to be too critical of the lad as he's trying his best, but I fear playing him is doing him more damage than it is good.

He offers us very little and has been non existent in both games he's played IMO
I agree it is odd, could be sort of like last season when he persisted with exposing Christie at full back despite having other defenders on the bench

Nonleagueherewecome

Thanks, sw. Kinda what I feared. There really is no case for playing the diamond if Daniels is our best DMC option!

CovLis86

We had absolutely nothing in the centre of the park. We didn't win a first ball or second ball. Don't think it's the lads fault, but something wasn't right there today.

Mucca Mad Boys

I think AT played him because hs other options weren't fully fit? Baker apparently not 100% as with S. Jennings and wasn't (rightly) prepared to play G. McS in CM as he'd be a massive liability!

Tbf, when Thorn played Bigi, I would've thought it was too soon (seeing as he is only 1 year older than I) but he and Thomas did well when the played (for the large part) and he just might have faith in the youngsters.

In fairness, he is playing in a position where your contributions aren't really appreciated so to fans, it may appear he offers little, an example of this (don't take it too literally) is Real Madrid, Makalele's work wasn't as appreciated as Zidane's, but Zidane and Real Madrid coaching team etc. thought of him just as important as ZZ.

I haven't seen him play yet, so you could be right, but I'm reserving my judgement. :guitar2:

Nonleagueherewecome

We had absolutely nothing in the centre of the park. We didn't win a first ball or second ball. Don't think it's the lads fault, but something wasn't right there today.

Daniels-out of position(?), not ready/good enough.
Kilbane-too old and too slow, only been a CM since his legs went.
Barton-has barely kicked a ball in anger since breaking his leg last season.
Fleck-did well, then got injured, was only playing 'cos we didn't want to play...
..McSheffrey: legs gone and is better up front.

And no, I'm not making excuses for anyone-just saying why I think our midfield was non-existent today!

SkyBlue_Bear83

Daniels-out of position(?), not ready/good enough.
Kilbane-too old and too slow, only been a CM since his legs went.
Barton-has barely kicked a ball in anger since breaking his leg last season.
Fleck-did well, then got injured, was only playing 'cos we didn't want to play...
..McSheffrey: legs gone and is better up front.

And no, I'm not making excuses for anyone-just saying why I think our midfield was non-existent today!
You don't really need legs to play the role that Sheff did though, sure it can help to be quick over 5-10 yards but it isn't as if Sheff has to run up an down the field. Sheff is too inconsistent, gives the ball away too often and often makes bad decision deciding an optimistic long shot over playing another player in

Gutted that Thomas is out as he a well rounded footballer and can play pretty much any position across the midfield

Grendel

I don't know why Kilbane or Brown didn't play at the base of the diamond tbh.

Or the question surely is why play a formation when you do not have the personnel to deliver? Play to the strengths of the available players.

It's going to be a long and miserable season if we persevere with this pointless playing style that creates very few scoring opportunities, relies far too much on the full backs as attacking options and places a huge emphasis on the defensive midfielder when the opposition are attacking.

Nonleagueherewecome

Or the question surely is why play a formation when you do not have the personnel to deliver? Play to the strengths of the available players.

It's going to be a long and miserable season if we persevere with this pointless playing style that creates very few scoring opportunities, relies far too much on the full backs as attacking options and places a huge emphasis on the defensive midfielder when the opposition are attacking.

Agreed in that we should play it if it suits the available players-if we're starting Daniels when Elliott/Baker are on the bench, the formation is weakening the starting XI.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I haven't been to any pre season games but according to people who went we played our best football when playing the diamond, when we tried something else we lost 3/4 pre season games in a row

Mucca Mad Boys

What about Jennings?

----Jennings----
Barton----Thomas
------Fleck------

Is, imo, the best way to play the diamond.

Nonleagueherewecome

What about Jennings?

----Jennings----
Barton----Thomas
------Fleck------

I assume he wasn't considered fit enough for a start, he's missed most of pre-season.

And Thomas is injured. So is Fleck now!

Grendel

What about Jennings?

----Jennings----
Barton----Thomas
------Fleck------

But when we played it last season we just kept losing! It was only when we were more direct and gave width to the midfield we actually started to win so e games.

Nonleagueherewecome

But when we played it last season we just kept losing! It was only when we were more direct and gave width to the midfield we actually started to win so e games.

I don't remember us playing with width from midfield..I remember us signing a quality CM on loan in Norwood and the full-backs getting forwards better, though.

Mucca Mad Boys

Shame isn't it, Hope Fleck can play Tuesday, as with Jennings, as for Thomas, I hope he has a speedy recovery and 'hits the ground running'.

Mucca Mad Boys

Every game we won was when we played the diamond. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We tried 4-4-2 (when the players wanted it), it failed as we have sh!t wingers e.g. Bell, McSheffrey, Baker (he played at his best playing behind striker at Stockport), hence we reverted back to the diamond. :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

When will English/British football fans understand that 4-4-2 is backwards and doesn't work. :thinking about::thinking about::thinking about:

PVA

Do people not check before they start threads! I already a 3 pager on Daniels below.

cyril

Yeah but if you read it it's more about other players who could have played that position not a rating as such

Sorry if I ruined your night

PVA

No you didn't ruin my night but thanks for asking.

It's just slightly annoying when the board gets clogged up by lots of similar threads.

cyril

There's no real assessment of his abilities or how he coped. If someone went, was he out of his depth, any potential etc

kg82

I don't think he did anything wrong. Jennings looked better in the short time he was on though. Positives - Barton grew into the game and showed touches of class! Fleck looked good in the short time he was on too, felt really bad for him when he went off.

Nonleagueherewecome

No you didn't ruin my night but thanks for asking.

It's just slightly annoying when the board gets clogged up by lots of similar threads.

Threads merged!

AFCCOVENTRY

Barton and Jennings is going to be our key midfield pairing. Hopefully Jennings was rested for Sheff U next week.

I would be tempted to start Elliott upfront with Cody though.

Users who are viewing this thread