Biggest game since 87 bring it on ! (1 Viewer)

Captain_Slackbladder

You could argue it is much bigger, from a financial perspective it is (only Bob Massingbird could argue otherwise). From a whole city perspective, it isn't as big, nowhere near. We have very little media interest, and a playoff semi final Luton and their ground is apparently much more interesting!

Nonetheless it could all go our way. I genuinely think regardless of the result Sunday then we can win it still. No one wants to play us or play against Vik or Gus

BackRoomRummermill

The 1987 FA Cup final between Coventry City and Tottenham Hotspur on 16 May 1987 at Wembley Stadium, London, England was the 106th Final of the FA Cup, English football's primary cup competition.

Brighton Sky Blue

I still think the L2 play off final was our biggest game, dread to think what would have happened if we hadn't gone up

I felt more confident about us beating Exeter at Wembley than I did about us going to Notts County having to win. Likewise with this the semi final has me less confident than the final were we to get there.

Sky Blue Pete

Surely there are several ‘Big’ Games. Capture the moment and add it to the list. Our rise to Division 1. Our numerous(and no doubt a few more to come) relegation last day escapes and the promotions more recently.
I’m still reeling from us being the team that held our nerve and had the rub of the green

home to reading - must win
Home to blues - must win
Away to boro - mustn’t lose

there’s some big balls there

Momentum not as important as belief. This team must have such belief

It’s a huge game because of the money but also tomorrow may be the last time we see yok and Hamer at the cbs and I’m nowhere near ready for that

In fact due to that they both need a huge reception win lose or draw after the game. In fact and of course all the players do!

Flying Fokker

Do you think we could have gone down to non league or gone out of existence if we had stayed in L2? I did, I honestly feared for the future of the club.

Whatever happens this week, I'm confident I'll still have, at worst, a Championship club to support for the next season or 2.
It was unthinkable for me. The way we got to division (4) was appalling. Thankfully we seem to be on the same journey as other clubs such as Luton, Bournemouth, Swansea and ? That have risen through the league season in a matter of seasons.

Macca

Do you think we could have gone down to non league or gone out of existence if we had stayed in L2? I did, I honestly feared for the future of the club.

Whatever happens this week, I'm confident I'll still have, at worst, a Championship club to support for the next season or 2.

It was massive. Considering there were times that season we were dog shit who knows how long it could have taken to get back up had we missed out. This one to me is massive from a financial perspective and could hugely change our fortunes. I can’t say I’m hugely excited about the potential of us playing in the Premier League. For me it’s about the achievement, achieving it at Wembley and the gazillions of wonga to be had

Grendel

Not bigger than tomorrow

In reality it was.

We were pretty poor most of the and crowds were dropping. We’d have again been in L2 with one season left at the stadium

The proceeds of sale of McNulty etc and windfall funds from Maddison would have ended up funding every increasing losses.

Sky Blue Pete

In reality it was.

We were pretty poor most of the and crowds were dropping. We’d have again been in L2 with one season left at the stadium

The proceeds of sale of McNulty etc and windfall funds from Maddison would have ended up funding every increasing losses.
Honestly I agree that was a very important game but that was before this is now
This is the next most important game in our history

Captain_Slackbladder

It was unthinkable for me. The way we got to division (4) was appalling. Thankfully we seem to be on the same journey as other clubs such as Luton, Bournemouth, Swansea and ? That have risen through the league season in a matter of seasons.
Bournemouth are hardly a rising phoenix returning to their home patch..

Grendel

Bournemouth are hardly a rising phoenix returning to their home patch..

They were one game away from probable extinction not that long ago which is I assume what he’s referring to

SBT

I don’t see how the first leg of a semi-final can be bigger than a playoff final!

Lose tomorrow and we can still get promoted; lose against Exeter a few years ago and god knows where we’d have ended up.

hill83

That’s true actually good point ok I’ll rethink

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

bigfatronssba

Depends how you look at it.

In terms of relative importance the Checkatrade trophy final has to be one of the most important in the clubs history.

We were on our death bed, and had endured 30 years of constant failure. It felt impossible that this club could achieve anything ever again.

Winning that trophy showed there was still life in the club

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread