Betting Sponsors Banned (2 Viewers)

usskyblue

Plenty of options;

7f1a814251395a366f69bab181dedcb3_crop_north.jpg

item_35_58.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.sportbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Fcadb9114594019b38ff4bfede56f496f.jpg

st-johnstone%2Bbonar.png

WankaFront.jpg

Barnsley

That’s a large number of clubs in this league looking for alternative revenue streams then.
Can’t be many not sponsored by turf accounts.

AOM

That’s a large number of clubs in this league looking for alternative revenue streams then.
Can’t be many not sponsored by turf accounts.

The Championship logo itself even has a betting brand on it.
I assume that will be being removed as well?

jimmyhillsfanclub

I like a little bet....usually on ridiculous odds underdogs, scorecasts or accas......but its not right that football generates so much cash from the misery of others.....

Personally, I'd also like to see a ban on TV advertising of betting sites & apps during sports programmes as I know its not healthy or helpful to many who struggle with gambling addiction.....

Not easy when the league is sponsored by a betting company whos parent company also happens to own the TV rights.....

EDIT: turns out sky plc do not own sky bet...for details see more informed poster below.

Last edited:

Terry Gibson's perm

Will they be banning it in horse racing?

Shilton had a gambling addiction for 45 years so it started way before the shirt advertising so maybe something else caused that?

Silsden

I like a little bet....usually on ridiculous odds underdogs, scorecasts or accas......but its not right that football generates so much cash from the misery of others.....

Personally, I'd also like to see a ban on TV advertising of betting sites & apps during sports programmes as I know its not healthy or helpful to many who struggle with gambling addiction.....

Not easy when the league is sponsored by a betting company whos parent company also happens to own the TV rights.....
BSkyB and SkyBet aren’t related companies, SkyBet was sold off years ago to the Stars group, as part of the sale they get the sky branding with it.
Totally agree on the ban on advertising during live sport, it’s ridiculous and bordering on predatory. Think bans and restrictions are inevitable given the scale of the problem

stay_up_skyblues

BSkyB and SkyBet aren’t related companies, SkyBet was sold off years ago to the Stars group, as part of the sale they get the sky branding with it.
Totally agree on the ban on advertising during live sport, it’s ridiculous and bordering on predatory. Think bans and restrictions are inevitable given the scale of the problem

Last weekend, Saturday morning I counted that nine out of the eleven adverts over two consecutive breaks on talksport were bookies’ ads. Overkill by anyone’s standards and outrageous given the level of addiction.

It needs a complete overhaul and clamping down on massively. The only addiction you can do in private/secret on your phone but in a room of people. And the only one you can lose youre entire wealth in the space of seconds/a few spins.

I don’t have all the answers but surely a credit check by the gambling websites and denying anyone with poor scores/ccjs against them would be an idea? Probably intrudes on human rights or something but I’d expect a barman not to serve someone smashed out of their face and at rock bottom.

I know that anyone in any type of addiction will find a way if they want to but something should be done to at least try.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Last weekend, Saturday morning I counted that nine out of the eleven adverts over two consecutive breaks on talksport were bookies’ ads. Overkill by anyone’s standards and outrageous given the level of addiction.

It needs a complete overhaul and clamping down on massively. The only addiction you can do in private/secret on your phone but in a room of people. And the only one you can lose youre entire wealth in the space of seconds/a few spins.

I don’t have all the answers but surely a credit check by the gambling websites and denying anyone with poor scores/ccjs against them would be an idea? Probably intrudes on human rights or something but I’d expect a barman not to serve someone smashed out of their face and at rock bottom.

I know that anyone in any type of addition will find a way if they want to but something should be done to at least try.

What I wish I had available 10 years ago was simply for the bank to be able to block gambling transactions. Most banks offer that service now I think. Or say if it really is about ‘having fun’ then cap the maximum stake to £1

better days

If they banned gambling at horse racing that sports finished, and as it’s the sport of the rich good luck with pissing off Tory donors.
Plenty of working class herberts like me enjoy going to the racing
Most of us aren't addicts
But agree that things are out of control with advertising now - including the supposed anti-gambling ads

Brighton Sky Blue

Plenty of working class herberts like me enjoy going to the racing
Most of us aren't addicts
But agree that things are out of control with advertising now - including the supposed anti-gambling ads

Most of the income of gambling companies comes from a relatively low % of customers who are usually hooked.

Legia Sky Blue

Killing horses to rinse the pockets of addicts-few regular people would shed a tear if it went

I understand this is personal to you and I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but not everyone that gambles is out of control. That said I've never understood why the gambling industry hasn't faced the same advertising restrictions as alcohol and tobacco companies have had to deal with.

Brighton Sky Blue

I understand this is personal to you and I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but not everyone that gambles is out of control. That said I've never understood why the gambling industry hasn't faced the same advertising restrictions as alcohol and tobacco companies have had to deal with.

Not everyone who does anything is addicted to it, that isn’t really the point. We know that as an industry this one relies more than most on addicts to provide the bulk of their revenue. That’s also likely true of tobacco but probably not alcohol to the same extent.

Still disappoints me that we dropped a local firm for a ten a penny gambling company as soon as we got in this league.

Legia Sky Blue

Not everyone who does anything is addicted to it, that isn’t really the point. We know that as an industry this one relies more than most on addicts to provide the bulk of their revenue. That’s also likely true of tobacco but probably not alcohol to the same extent.

Still disappoints me that we dropped a local firm for a ten a penny gambling company as soon as we got in this league.

It is always going to be problematic and unrealistic to expect bookmakers to police and control problem gamblers, given they are profit led organisations. The answer I guess would be as in some other countries for gambling to be state regulated, but non profit making, so that the gambling operators would not then have a vested interest in profiting out of addiction, but rather in identifying those with the problems and then trying to help them. The trouble is that goes against the ethos of our Government who believe in less state control and more competition, so there appears no chance of that happening anytime soon.

Brighton Sky Blue

It is always going to be problematic and unrealistic to expect bookmakers to police and control problem gamblers, given they are profit led organisations. The answer I guess would be as in some other countries for gambling to be state regulated, but non profit making, so that the gambling operators would not then have a vested interest in profiting out of addiction, but rather in identifying those with the problems and then trying to help them. The trouble is that goes against the ethos of our Government who believe in less state control and more competition, so there appears no chance of that happening anytime soon.

If you know most of your profits come from people who have lost control over themselves and carry on anyway you’re a c**t in my view. Just mine of course

Jesse Carver

I know that anyone in any type of addiction will find a way if they want to but something should be done to at least try.

I remember listening to Alan Brazil's breakfast show years ago where he was badgering John Hartson for his acca picks, presumably so they could fulfil a sponsorship requirement with Coral. I seem to remember at one point Hartson had to have his wages paid to his agent as his gambling debt/addiction had got so out of hand.

Jagmannn

I hope all the lottery companies come into the equation...now that is reaching for the stars ..such massive odds that they never tell you about

Happy_Martian

Pleased if this is true. F1 and Football banned tobacco advertising years ago as it was found to be a serious hazard to health. Gambling does more harm than good so yes, advertising it should go down the plughole as well.

CDK

No suprise to any of us but will kick corporate sales into proving there worth and selling the club to new investors.

Users who are viewing this thread