Best TV shows or movies you can recommend (3 Viewers)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just watched an American werewolf in London , really enjoyed it

Liquid Gold

Top 3 of all time would be:
Breaking bad
The sopranos
and probably less obvious - Money Heist.

For money heist, make sure you put it as original Spanish audio and then English subtitles. I think when I first tried to watch it it defaulted to the dubbed English and it was cringey and I turned it off after ten minutes. With the original a idiot though...wow. I’ve never been so on edge for a TV show, was fantastic.

Notable mentions for

Boardwalk empire
Peaky Blinders
Peep Show
Band of Brothers
Parks and Recreation
The Marvelous Miss Maisel
Finally got round to watching Money Heist and it's incredible. As you said, get rid of the dubbed version and switch to subtitles straight away. I haven't seen anything compelling in a long time.

robbiekeane

Finally got round to watching Money Heist and it's incredible. As you said, get rid of the dubbed version and switch to subtitles straight away. I haven't seen anything compelling in a long time.
Are you constantly singing that song? I couldn’t get it out of my head for weeks

dutchman

"The Nevers" (HBO)

Joss Whedon's historical fantasy adventure.

I suggest avoiding all spoilers including trailers, reviews, forum comments, etc.

The first 14 minutes is a self-contained mini-episode so you can tell from that whether you're going to love it or hate it.

Last edited:

Ian1779

"The Nevers" (HBO)

I suggest avoiding all spoilers including trailers, reviews, forum comments, etc.

The first 14 minutes is a self-contained mini-episode so you can tell from that whether you're going to love it or hate it.
Is It Joss Whedon Buffy the Vampire Slayer quality or Joss Whedon Firefly quality?

Sbarcher

"The Nevers" (HBO)

Just watched Ep 1. Seems pretty good so will be following from now on.

Otis

I may get slated for this (and I am not usually a reality TV type person at all), but This Is My House is great fun.

Read the reviews.

As they say, it shouldn't work, but somehow does. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It helps having the likes of Bill Bailey and Jamali Maddix and Jimmy Carr involved.

I caught it by accident and thought "what the hell is this?", but now I love it and there are now five of us trying to guess who is the real homeowner each week.

Screenshot_20210429-080613.png Screenshot_20210429-080733.png Screenshot_20210429-080845.png Screenshot_20210429-080921.png

Sbarcher

I may get slated for this (and I am not usually a reality TV type person at all), but This Is My House is great fun.

Read the reviews.

As they say, it shouldn't work, but somehow does. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It helps having the likes of Bill Bailey and Jamali Maddix and Jimmy Carr involved.

I caught it by accident and thought "what the hell is this?", but now I love it and there are now five of us trying to guess who is the real homeowner each week.

View attachment 19842View attachment 19843View attachment 19844View attachment 19845
Bloody hell, that gave me finger ache!

shmmeee

Just started Invincible on Amazon Prime. If you like anime type animation and mature themed superhero stories as I do it’s good stuff.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I believe in miracles , documentary about Forest winning the league and European cup Under Brian Clough

wingy

Lilly James is smoking in Pursuit of love .
Now onto the new series of Fargo.
Oh bugger and I need an early night.🥶🤭 Yawning emoji.

Philosorapter

Some days you are just waiting for the most ridiculous film to be released. I can't wait for this!

Sbarcher

Just watched Unhinged. Wow, the most intense film I’ve seen in years.

mrtrench

Just finished Shtisel on Netflix. It's about an extended family of ultra-orthodox Jews living in Israel. Highly recommended.

JAM See

Love, Death & Robots on Netflix.

Quirky short animated films that you can dip in and out off.

David Fincher is involved.

publican1990

Just re-watched all of Band of Brothers, simply amazing series nearly 20 years old now. Wonderful and tactful tribute to a WW2 paratrooper unit.

Incredible series, I'd highly recommend the book too by Stephen E. Ambrose. There's quite a few big names in smaller roles before they hit the big time as well. Andrew Scott, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Tom Hardy spring to mind.

Brighton Sky Blue

Incredible series, I'd highly recommend the book too by Stephen E. Ambrose. There's quite a few big names in smaller roles before they hit the big time as well. Andrew Scott, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy and Tom Hardy spring to mind.

Stephen Graham and Simon Pegg are in the first episode I think. Just really well done

Sky_Blue_Daz

Anyone watch the latest series of Fargo ? I’ve got it on planner , I fell out of the habit of watching the previous series
But really enjoyed the first series

LastGarrison

Great series and even better book.

The Pacific is also a great watch and read as well.

publican1990

Stephen Graham and Simon Pegg are in the first episode I think. Just really well done

That's it, I knew I'd forgotten a couple. I read that over in the States they couldn't believe it when they found out that Damian Lewis was British, as his American accent was so convincing! The quality is so good that it looks like it was made yesterday rather than 20 years ago.

Like you say the whole thing is so well done, the episode where Buck Compton has a breakdown after seeing Guarnere and Toye lose their legs always gets me.

Brighton Sky Blue

That's it, I knew I'd forgotten a couple. I read that over in the States they couldn't believe it when they found out that Damian Lewis was British, as his American accent was so convincing! The quality is so good that it looks like it was made yesterday rather than 20 years ago.

Like you say the whole thing is so well done, the episode where Buck Compton has a breakdown after seeing Guarnere and Toye lose their legs always gets me.

Each episode is excellent but the most moving part for me is the concentration camp liberation, the actors are about as thin as you could make them without endangering their health. Lewis’ American accent is close to flawless too. It’s like movie quality production for a TV series

publican1990

Great series and even better book.

The Pacific is also a great watch and read as well.

Loved The Pacific as well, not read the book though, I'll give it a look.

Have you read Pegasus Bridge by Stephen E. Ambrose? Incredible true story about a crack unit of British paras taking, and more importantly, holding a bridge before the D-day landings. I had read that there was a film in the works about it, but not heard anything more since. I guess the absence of the Americans in the story means funding or interest wouldn't be as easy to come by.

A bit like the u-571 debacle years ago, a complete insult to suggest it was the Americans thay captured the first enigma machine rather than the Royal Navy.

LastGarrison

Loved The Pacific as well, not read the book though, I'll give it a look.

Have you read Pegasus Bridge by Stephen E. Ambrose? Incredible true story about a crack unit of British paras taking, and more importantly, holding a bridge before the D-day landings. I had read that there was a film in the works about it, but not heard anything more since. I guess the absence of the Americans in the story means funding or interest wouldn't be as easy to come by.

A bit like the u-571 debacle years ago, a complete insult to suggest it was the Americans thay captured the first enigma machine rather than the Royal Navy.
I haven’t but I will definitely give it a look.

I’ve read a lot of military history but my preference is for the recent military history in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I would strongly recommend 8 Lives Down by Major Chris Hunter if you haven’t read it. An amazing read of one of the British Army’s top bomb disposal experts.

Otis

Mare of Easttown.

Superb!! Can't recommend it highly enough. Funny and dark in equal measure.

Sbarcher

Mare of Easttown.

Superb!! Can't recommend it highly enough. Funny and dark in equal measure.
Just watched the first 5 episodes. and you are right a cracking series. Shame I can't watch all of the episodes in one binge session.

Users who are viewing this thread