Best opposition player you've seen (2 Viewers)

duffer

I remember Michael Owen having a blinder against us at Highfield Road - really was a different class that day. He got a deserved ovation from the whole ground when finally subbed. Proud to be a fan that day, never hurts to acknowledge true class, even in the opposition (imho).

colin101

Have to say Malcolm MacDonald scoring hatrick for Newcastle at Highfield Road, early seventies, destroyed us

Wolves_SkyBlue

I also remember Liam Brady in his prime with the Arse totally running the show. We had 3 or 4 players on him and they couldn't get near him.

Spionkop

Beckenbauer in 1971. Bobby Charlton 1963, Bobby Moore, Jimmy Greaves. Someone mentioned George Curtis for Villa here. Awesome defender. Later Mirandinha for Newcastle, Gazza. Rodney Marsh. Stan Bowles, Gerry Francis. George Best rarely had a decent game against us. A wasted talent.
To be honest Alan Shearer was almost unstoppable in his prime.

Sterling Archer

Come to think of it, I remember David Thompson having a cracking game for Liverpool against us at Highfield Road. I couldn't believe it when we signed him at the end of that season.

dancers lance

Mo Konjic when he was playing for Derby, last game at HR.

dancers lance

He certainly helped us enjoy the day.
I would love to see him back working for the club (if we still have one) one day, top bloke who I had the pleasure of meeting a couple times, always had time to chat.

Marty

Dennis Bergkamp - I think hes the best player I've ever watched,

dancers lance

Come to think of it, I remember David Thompson having a cracking game for Liverpool against us at Highfield Road. I couldn't believe it when we signed him at the end of that season.
Me too! those where the days.

LastGarrison

He's a bit of a nut job but there was a game against West Ham where Di Canio was just immense think they were 3 up after 15 minutes or so. None of our players got near him that day.

Don't know if it was the same game but remember the West Ham fans belting out his name at HR and he just nonchantly nodded his head along in tune whilst running up the wing. Class.

I have to say everytime I saw Jaap Staam play he was absolutely immense. Just the all round centre half that never seemed to put a foot wrong.

Certainly not the best player I have ever seen but the one who always had a blinder against us was Clayton fucking Ince!! Shame he was such utter pish when we actually signed him......

Brighton Sky Blue

Paul Peschisolido seemed to have the Midas touch every time I ever saw him play against us, though the best player I can remember was Ashley Young playing for Watford in 2005/6. Took the ball from 30 odd yards out then hammered it into the net; although we won 3-1 he was a class apart from anybody else on the pitch.

dancers lance

Paul Peschisolido seemed to have the Midas touch every time I ever saw him play against us, though the best player I can remember was Ashley Young playing for Watford in 2005/6. Took the ball from 30 odd yards out then hammered it into the net; although we won 3-1 he was a class apart from anybody else on the pitch.
I agree, Peschisolido always punished us. He would be playing like a bag of shite for (whatever team he was at at the time) and getting stick from the fans, then he would play us and look like a world beater.

skybluebeduff

The best player for me is actually a kneecap on a guy called Gary :)

Beckham's passing against us was always jaw dropping.

Andy Cole always seemed to stomp on us.

Shearer's head and feet loved us.

Zola was a magician, Frank Lebeouf was an ox.

percy

One of the best goals I've seen at the Ricoh. He had his back to goal and hit it on the turn, class.

Brighton Sky Blue

One of the best goals I've seen at the Ricoh. He had his back to goal and hit it on the turn, class.

I remember a good few of us sitting and just applauding it-you knew he wasn't going to stay in the Championship for too long.

Brighton Sky Blue

I agree, Peschisolido always punished us. He would be playing like a bag of shite for (whatever team he was at at the time) and getting stick from the fans, then he would play us and look like a world beater.

He scored one of the worst goals I've ever seen us concede when we beat Derby 6-1 at the Ricoh. Not the absolute worst though, there was one we conceded against Burnley at HR that trickled over the line beating 2 defenders, Dean Leacock included, in the process.

oscillatewildly

Was at both games Oscillate and brings me to another great player we've seen on the other side .

Indeed If the story Is to be believed we rejected on the grounds of Stature ,Kevin Keegan.
Yes, I think it was Noel Cantwell who said he'd never make the mark owing to his (lack of) height.
Just a few months before that LC game I mentioned, we played Liverpool in a re-arranged league fixture at the end of 1976/77 season. They obviously were going for the title, which needless to say they got. We, incredibly were in a relegation dog fight and we played em off the park that night, Keegan et al. I was stood at the front of the kop with my younger brother, dead centre behind the goal. We crashed one off the underside of the bar, which we obviously (even to this day) claim went over the line. There's a really grainy image of that very action on the videos section of this site. I can't remember who 'scored' it and it's difficult from the footage to definitely pin point who did. I asked Alan Green a couple of years if it was him but he couldn't even recall the game! Can anybody help?

Users who are viewing this thread