Best Job/Worst Job (1 Viewer)

olderskyblue

Yep. Henley Green. Did very well with tips at Christmas.

You probably delivered to my out-laws in Luscombe road then?

Sky_Blue_Daz

I worked as a carer at hereward college from 2000 to 2011 loved it pay was ok, all the holidays off I got a job for a month in the summer on a building site as a labourer so used that money towards Christmas.

Worse job was as toilet cleaner for initial cleaning at the rolls Royce plant in Ansty ( my brother got me the job and told me I was going to be an industrial hygienist)

Love my current job I work with children who have life threatening health conditions

olderskyblue

Did a few "jobs" as a kid. Window cleaning with my next door neighbour, worked on the bread delivery vans, but got stung too often, the van had loads of wasps in. Switched to helping on a milk round. That was OK except in winter. The driver had the little crate for carrying the milk, I had to carry them in bare hands, and always in fear of the driver if you dropped and broke one. Helped on a d di van too going round different neighbourhood's in the holidays, and always up the stock car or Bees at Brandon on a Saturday night..

bringbackrattles

I worked as a carer at hereward college from 2000 to 2011 loved it pay was ok, all the holidays off I got a job for a month in the summer on a building site as a labourer so used that money towards Christmas.

Worse job was as toilet cleaner for initial cleaning at the rolls Royce plant in Ansty ( my brother got me the job and told me I was going to be an industrial hygienist)

Love my current job I work with children who have life threatening health conditions
I had an interview about ten years ago at Hereward College, as I had been doing some voluntary tutoring, adult literacy/numeracy in community centres. The head tutor got me the interview there, telling them I'd be ideal for a job with Hereward. Anyway I had the interview, and got told congratulations I'd got the vacancy. I told the interviewer I'd been in prison, but had sorted my life out etc, and had kept out of trouble for years. She said she loved my honesty and my references had proved I'd turned things around.
It was just before the Xmas break and she said go away and have a nice Christmas, and they'd look forward to seeing me in the new year. I was buzzing and my family and friends were pleased for me. Anyway a few days before I was due to start there, I received a letter from the College saying because my offences were for violence, they couldn't offer me a job. I was gobsmacked as I told them straight all about my "past" but they still turned me down. Why give me the job then reject me ? It shows your past especially where employment is concerned never goes away !

vow

Hat's off to ya Daz, must be very rewarding at times, then not so some of the time?

Bumberclart

Took a 6 week job as a labourer for two brickies. Nobody told me they were two of the fastest brickies in the midlands.
I went home every night absolutely exhausted. On the plus side, it was piece work, so the money was really good for a 16 year old.

NorthernWisdom

Genuinely like my current job. Been there half a dozen years in various roles, as much becauise I'd done a lot of moving around befoire, and some stability is welcome! Forced them to give me my current job when they didn't want to even have it defined as a role :)

Downsides are, however, that it gets more and more part-time as cuts come in (the fact I'm still there is an achievement in many ways!!), so I find myself having to take on other work (without the security too, so each month is always... interesting as to how much I'll actually have to spend / save) and it also means I don't get enough time to do my job. Can empathise with football managers at struggling clubs - you can have the best intentions in the world, but sometimes you get overwhelmed firefighting! Things fall by the wayside that I'd like to do to implement things and grow, as much because there's physically no time (and yes, I'm writing this now, but it's a day off after working Saturday, OK ;))

The salary's also pretty terrible (partly a cxonsequence of doing what I want to do, and partlky because of said cuts) and there is, frankly, little chance of progression.

So the question gets more and more pertinent, as to whether I stick it out for thje sake of purity of work, or whether I start prostituing myself at the feet of cold hard cash and look for another job. Doesn't help that I'm pretty terrible at selling myself when it comes to application forms / CVs and interviews, either.

shmmeee

Teaching is one of the most up and down jobs about. There are times when you can't believe you're being paid for what you do and others when you're being paid nowhere near enough. It beats working in laboratory fume hoods until stupid o'clock any day of the week though.

Teaching was both my best and worst job TBF. Much respect for those that stick at it.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Anyone ever done a paper round ? I did it as a youngster down Walsgrave, absolutely loved it. Nice and early, and any football magazines in my bag I'd have a sneaky read before pushing it through the letterbox. I see pensioners about still doing paper rounds, as it is a good way to keep fit and active. I wonder if you get paid ?

Used to help my mate with his
60/70 houses (sometimes be offers on weeks papers for a quid we’d end up with 120+ houses) an evening delivering CET we were 12 at the time.

We had to collect the money as well paper was 32p so some paid weekly £1.92 & some monthly £7.68, it was like getting blood out of a stone.

One night winter freezing wet, one of the weekly payers, knock she answers miserable as always say £1.92 please she gives £2 I take it give her paper, already thinking about which house is next, turn and walk off “where do you think you’re going!? I think you have forgotten my change you little scrote”.

8p ffs, she and her husband had flash cars on the drive etc house £350k+, all the weekly payers would say “keep the change” 8p but yeah cheers. Always stuck with me that.

Also had a house that would be a nightmare to pay monthly so we used to ring bell no reply, curtains twitch we’d leave a card.
Following Friday go back same again we’d put paper halfway through (make some noise) so they knew it’s been delivered, wait for them to come get it and pull it out! Ha gotcha! We did this few times, right sods!

Reactions: vow

vow

Used to help my mate with his
60/70 houses (sometimes be offers on weeks papers for a quid we’d end up with 120+ houses) an evening delivering CET we were 12 at the time.

We had to collect the money as well paper was 32p so some paid weekly £1.92 & some monthly £7.68, it was like getting blood out of a stone.

One night winter freezing wet, one of the weekly payers, knock she answers miserable as always say £1.92 please she gives £2 I take it give her paper, already thinking about which house is next, turn and walk off “where do you think you’re going!? I think you have forgotten my change you little scrote”.

8p ffs, she and her husband had flash cars on the drive etc house £350k+, all the weekly payers would say “keep the change” 8p but yeah cheers. Always stuck with me that.

Also had a house that would be a nightmare to pay monthly so we used to ring bell no reply, curtains twitch we’d leave a card.
Following Friday go back same again we’d put paper halfway through (make some noise) so they knew it’s been delivered, wait for them to come get it and pull it out! Ha gotcha! We did this few times, right sods!
If you look after the pennies, the pound's look after themselves, you little scrote.....

I also had 1 customer that lived a good 10 mins bike ride from my penultimate post and he was nearer 2 other newsagents than mine! Why he couldn't just pay the closer one's to deliver I'll never know.
Used to piss me off a treat that extra 15-20mins roundtrip, so one very rainy evening I accidentally soaked the CET and rammed it through the letterbox, making sure it was ripped and unreadable, after a coupla dropkicks too! Next day old Pilgrim (newsagent) told me he'd had a complaint and they would be cancelling their paper! He told me off, gave me a warning, but my mission was complete.

Terry Gibson's perm

If you look after the pennies, the pound's look after themselves, you little scrote.....

I also had 1 customer that lived a good 10 mins bike ride from my penultimate post and he was nearer 2 other newsagents than mine! Why he couldn't just pay the closer one's to deliver I'll never know.
Used to piss me off a treat that extra 15-20mins roundtrip, so one very rainy evening I accidentally soaked the CET and rammed it through the letterbox, making sure it was ripped and unreadable, after a coupla dropkicks too! Next day old Pilgrim (newsagent) told me he'd had a complaint and they would be cancelling their paper! He told me off, gave me a warning, but my mission was complete.

Where was the delivery it wasn’t to the beechwood was it?

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

Not many paid weekly and if they did I’d usually do the old ‘get the change out’ hoping they’d say don’t bother but most would say keep it and after a while didn’t bother not sure why I didn’t offer it to this woman maybe a new house but yeah amazing years on sticks with me!

Haha good work!

Gazolba

For me it's not so much the job I do as the people I work with.
I had one job I hated because I had a horrible boss.
However, I was doing exactly the same work as in a job that I loved because I had a good boss and a great team around me.

shmmeee

For me it's not so much the job I do as the people I work with.
I had one job I hated because I had a horrible boss.
However, I was doing exactly the same work as in a job that I loved because I had a good boss and a great team around me.

Makes all the difference. I've trned down better paid work because I've got a good thing with coworkers. Made the mistake of leaving a place that felt like family for progression before and hated it so much I ultimately left the profession.

Covkid1968#

I like my job at the University - very rewarding - but it seems the worst job in the world when my other half talks about hers. Works for fashion company and goes to Milan Swiss and America a lot on a company jet!!!!! Still....I get a lot of stuff to wear that I never knew or thought I ever needed........

greys4life

Best job either dive guide in the red sea or chef/dive guide in the Cayman Islands - however I do like my current job as a cook in an assisted living residential care home.

Worse jobs - working with two of the most miserable, nasty, bitter and twisted people in a tiny estate agents office!

Gazolba

When I was living in New York, I got a job assignment in Orlando, Florida.
It was from September to April, so I missed the entire New York winter.
We were on expenses, so we ended up eating at virtually every restaurant in Orlando.
They even paid for me to have my car transported down there.
This was back in the booming 1980's. Companies are a lot tighter with their money now.

CJ_covblaze

Doing 43 hours across today and tomorrow. Coventry, Rugby, Torquay and Middlesbrough. Still love it though.

CJ_covblaze

Find a job you love and never work a day in your life.

Like always, after a few hours on the M5 I’ve changed my mind.

Terry Gibson's perm

Off to London to work for he next three days and then home for a day and they asked if I want to go to Southampton for a day on Friday.

The best thing is I will be working a maximum of four hours a day but expected to be nearer to two

Otis

Off to London to work for he next three days and then home for a day and they asked if I want to go to Southampton for a day on Friday.

The best thing is I will be working a maximum of four hours a day but expected to be nearer to two
I'm in London tomorrow. See you there.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I had an interview about ten years ago at Hereward College, as I had been doing some voluntary tutoring, adult literacy/numeracy in community centres. The head tutor got me the interview there, telling them I'd be ideal for a job with Hereward. Anyway I had the interview, and got told congratulations I'd got the vacancy. I told the interviewer I'd been in prison, but had sorted my life out etc, and had kept out of trouble for years. She said she loved my honesty and my references had proved I'd turned things around.
It was just before the Xmas break and she said go away and have a nice Christmas, and they'd look forward to seeing me in the new year. I was buzzing and my family and friends were pleased for me. Anyway a few days before I was due to start there, I received a letter from the College saying because my offences were for violence, they couldn't offer me a job. I was gobsmacked as I told them straight all about my "past" but they still turned me down. Why give me the job then reject me ? It shows your past especially where employment is concerned never goes away !
You maybe dodged a bullet mate, I’ve heard some awful stories about the place over the last couple of years

wingy

You maybe dodged a bullet mate, I’ve heard some awful stories about the place over the last couple of years
It really was a place of excellence back in the 80's-90's .
But It was subject of some financial irregularities I believe and a bit of a power struggle at the top .
Not really sure how it is now, the ex attended a funeral for one of the members of staff from back then last week,but never mentioned any current goss.

Users who are viewing this thread