Best Guitar Solo (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueSoul

Just been having this discussion, let's open this up to the forum.

To start:

Free Bird
Stairway to Heaven
Comfortably Numb
All Along The Watchtower
Sultans of Swing
Hotel California
Stairway to Heaven
Sweet Child o' Mine

If I had to choose, I'd go:
1: Free Bird - Lynyrd Skynyrd
2 : Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
3: Sweet Child o' Mine - Guns n Roses

Otis

I don't go for conventional guitar solos to be honest.

Much prefer something absolutely mad and short like this ...

About 1 min 21 secs in

stupot07

All depends on what you define as a good solo - feeling? Speed? Tricks? Effects? Iconic status? Tone? Genre? Subtlety?

Obviously you have the obvious ones, Bohemian Rhapsody, Comfortably Numb, All Along the Watchtower, Beat it, Hotel Corfornia, Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child of Mine and Sultans of Swing.

But I think my favourites are:

- opening solo of Since I've Been Loving You
- Neil Young subtlety on Cortez the Killer
- closing solo on November Rain
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- Little Wing
- Machine Gun by Jimi Hendrix
- Shine On You Crazy Diamond opening solo.
- Coffee & TV by Blur
- Paranoid Android by Radiohead
- Tears by Stone Roses

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

David O'Day

All depends on what you define as a good solo - feeling? Speed? Tricks? Effects? Iconic status? Tone? Genre? Subtlety?

Obviously you have the obvious ones, Bohemian Rhapsody, Comfortably Numb, All Along the Watchtower, Beat it, Hotel Corfornia, Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Child of Mine and Sultans of Swing.

- Little Wing
- Coffee & TV by Blur

for neil young solos you can't beat his 1 note solo on cinnamon girl

SkyBlueSoul

- Little Wing
- Coffee & TV by Blur

This is kind of where we were going with it and it changes based on emotion for me. At the arse end of 7 pints and 2 bottles of wine last night Free Bird was the one, and anything with a bit of kick to it.

To add a couple more in the cold light of day:

- First 8 minutes of Shine on you Crazy Diamond is incredible, great shout
- Archives of Pain - Manic Street Preachers
- End solo of You Love Us - Manics

Nuskyblue

- Little Wing
- Coffee & TV by Blur
- Tears by Stone Roses

Little wing 🤌🤌🤌🤌

skybluetony176

Iron Maiden, Phantom of the Opera
Boston, More than a feeling
Prong, Snap your finger
Pantera, Walk
Ministry, Jesus built my hot rod
Spacemen 3, revolution

xcraigx

I was sure my pic
This is kind of where we were going with it and it changes based on emotion for me. At the arse end of 7 pints and 2 bottles of wine last night Free Bird was the one, and anything with a bit of kick to it.

To add a couple more in the cold light of day:

- First 8 minutes of Shine on you Crazy Diamond is incredible, great shout
- Archives of Pain - Manic Street Preachers
- End solo of You Love Us - Manics

I was sure my pick would not get a mention by anyone else but there it is! Archives Of Pain. JDB at his absolute best. Sleepflower not too far behind either.

Como

I would have included some of the above, will add this as it did not get a mention so far.

Como

For Yes I would have gone with Starship Trooper, Jimi that is tricky but All along the watchtower, Machine gun, where do you stop? Jimi having a Newcastle connection always amused me.

JimmyHillsbeard

We did this years ago. The winner is Tony Peluso on Goodbye to Love by the Carpenters. End of thread.

Scoff all you like, then watch this. While you wait for Peluso to absolutely shred the hell out of your world at the end ou might also pause for thought and note that the song itself is beautifully constructed- not a single phrase apart from the three word title is repeated in the lyrics, and Karen Carpenter’s voice is just incredible.

ovduk78

Thought I'd throw it in ;)

Tbf it's more his tone than any particular technical proficiency, but he really is very good!
He is very good & 1 of my favourite guitarists alongside Blackmore, Iommi, Gilmour & Garry Moore. On a side note I didn't really like Season's End when it came out maybe because I didn't think Hogarth was as good as Fish but love it now.

NorthernWisdom

He is very good & 1 of my favourite guitarists alongside Blackmore, Iommi, Gilmour & Garry Moore. On a side note I didn't really like Season's End when it came out maybe because I didn't think Hogarth was as good as Fish but love it now.
My age went the other way for me - the pop of Holidays in Eden (on Top of the Pops!) introduced me, found the Fish era later.

Brave is still by far their best album mind you, but the solos are mostly keyboard ones!

Mcbean

There are so many I like - many you never hear about - most common played probably Alright now - the late great Paul Kossoff

some low lyers- Reeling in the years Steely Dan - Rory Gallagher Bad penny - Width of a circle Bowie , Golden Earring Radar love live - No Quarter Led Zeppelin- Creedence Clearwater revival I heard it through the grapevine

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
My all time favourite guitar solo is Tom Morrello (guitarist from Rage Against The Machine). He comes on stage to do a duet with Bruce Springsteen, playing "The Ghost of Tom Joad". He blows the crowd away with an amazing performance. Have a look at the YouTube video!

Full video is obviously better!

Last edited:

Grendel

Some of the tracks were going on the 5th album beforeaside which was a reasonable rock track he left - to be fair I didn’t mind most of the album. Holidays in Eden was all a bit commercial - Splintering Heartaside which was a good rock trqck

andrew.roberts

Personal favourites are
"Superwoman" from Stevie Wonder's "Music of my mind" album
"Angela" (Theme from Taxi) Bob James
"Waiting in vain" Bob Marley.
Incidentally none are played by the actual artists themselves.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Instrumental second half of Elton John's Funeral for a friend . I think it's called Love lies Bleeding .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread