Best Cov manager during the Ricoh era? (1 Viewer)

CJparker

Adams 2005-06
Dowie 2006-08
Coleman 2008-10
Boothroyd 2010-11
Thorn 2011 - present

AT gets my vote.

coundonskyblue

Adams for me. Did well in first Ricoh season with very little money. Next season built his team around an inform McSheffrey who the board then sold.

Changeyourface

Adams, but his best season with us was at Highfield Road so not sure if it counts.

Scratch that best season bit, just realised first season after Highfield Road we finished 8th under him didn't we? People will undoubtedly vote for Dowie due to the decent cup wins though.

TheHellion

For me, Adams.

He built a squad that was able to turn our home ground into an absolute fortress for one season, losing only four times at the Ricoh that season. The only downside was that our away record was an exact mirror of our home side, with just four away wins. Nonetheless, I actually felt that I was watching a good side that season. I accept that much of our form that year had a lot to do with the arrivals of Don Hutch and Dennis Wise, but nonetheless, Adams did get the best out of them. Had the club been able to keep Sheff for the following season, I think our form would have been much improved and we may even have been pushing the top 8 again, although top 6 would have been difficult.

rob9872

Difficult to choose among such resounding success

torchomatic

Adams, then At. Bottom of the list foe me is Dowie. Couldn't stand him.

Matty94

In Order:
1. Adams - best league finish we've achieved since being relegated.
2. Boothroyd - may not have been the best football but had us in top 6 at Christmas and could have stayed there with a couple more signings.
3. Coleman - saved us from relegation and got to FA Cup quarters.
4. Dowie - would be #5 if it weren't for wins at Man Utd and Blackburn.
5. Thorn - tries his best with the squad he has but he has poor tactical knowledge and there's no excuse to be bottom of the league for most of the season.

superskyblue

Adams was and still is an absolute moron, talked in clichés. But it's difficult to argue when he led us to the best finish we've had since moving to the Ricoh.

skybluebolland

I would probably say either AT or MA, because (in my eyes at least) they have achieved something with little money or backing. The Adams era was before the SISU saga, so he obviously had better backing than Thorn, and this is reflected in the success he achieved. We finished eight is in his first season, but the following tailed away and he was sacked. Secondly, and I hear you cry, What success has Andy Thorn achieved? For me, he has and is doing a remarkable job. We are within touching distance of safety, and I think many of us expected us to be way off at this point. He has very little backing from the board, which makes his job even harder, look at players sold and their replacements. Some people may complain about his tactical naivety, I.e. sooner sube etc, but you have t remember that this is his first coaching job, and therefore I think you have to cut him some slack.

Stevec189

Adams - just because he gor Wise to play for us which lifted us into 8th. In fact if we go down (And I still believe we can escape but feel more down than before after last night!) and Thorn goes I wouldn't mind having him back for a run at promotion since he knows these leagues well. PUSB

Brighton Sky Blue

In Order:
1. Adams - best league finish we've achieved since being relegated.
2. Boothroyd - may not have been the best football but had us in top 6 at Christmas and could have stayed there with a couple more signings.
3. Coleman - saved us from relegation and got to FA Cup quarters.
4. Dowie - would be #5 if it weren't for wins at Man Utd and Blackburn.
5. Thorn - tries his best with the squad he has but he has poor tactical knowledge and there's no excuse to be bottom of the league for most of the season.

Why the poor rating for Dowie? I'd say that, given he had the most at his disposal than any of the others, and that we stayed up by a lick of paint in 2008 under him, that Coleman should be towards the bottom of that list. Dowie guided us to safety more comfortably, operated under a transfer embargo, and hardly did a poor job. The wheels came off towards the end, but the exact same happened with CC, Adams, and Boothroyd.

Skyblue4u

I'll say Coleman just because nobody else has. If only he'd got the team scoring like he did on a Saturday night in that Leamington Night Club we would be playing in Eurpoe now

Grendel

Dowie was probably unfairly treated. He has a high win ratio and although it went wrong at the end the selling of adebole was critical. Ranson was happy to let him go citing lack of goals but he and mifsud were the best forwards we had along with leon best. Funny ranson ultimately replaced adebole with Eastwood.

Users who are viewing this thread