Best concert you've been to? (1 Viewer)

ICHAN

Went to see Foo Fighters Friday at the Olympic Statium, best concert I've been to.
Atmosphere and the Foo's were both amazing

Otis

It's so hard to pinpoint just one.

XTC - Tiffany's.

Granddaddy - Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Cocteau Twins - Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Spiritualised - Leicester DeMonfort Hall

Always been the smaller venues. Been to many big concerts, but they are never the same I don't think, i.e. Oasis were much better at Wolverhampton Civic Hall than they were at Earls Court.

clint van damme

It's so hard to pinpoint just one.

XTC - Tiffany's.

Granddaddy - Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Cocteau Twins - Wolverhampton Civic Hall

Spiritualised - Leicester DeMonfort Hall

Always been the smaller venues. Been to many big concerts, but they are never the same I don't think, i.e. Oasis were much better at Wolverhampton Civic Hall than they were at Earls Court.

you're right to say it's hard to pinpoint one, been to so many great gigs and seen so many great festival performances over the years.

xcraigx

Killers at the MEN back in 05 or 06. Great gig at a time when they were at the height but the sound quality and volume was way beyond anything I've ever experienced.

torchomatic

Kraftwerk - Birmingham Odeon
Buzzcocks - Hummingbird
Richard Hawley - Assembly
Depeche Mode - multiple times, always give a good show

Other memorable gigs XTC, Teenage Fanclub, OMD, Fad Gadget, Devo, The Church...too many to mention.

NorthernWisdom

Magnum's last ever concert, 1995, Wulfrun Hall. They obviously wanted to go out on a high, so put everything into it. Singer Bob Catley cried during the encore, place was packed with people singing the entire set. Small venue, but the intimate atmosphere suited it.

Of course they reformed half a dozen years later and are still going, but nothing's touched that for performance or emotion.

torchomatic

I went to see the Pet Shops Boys on their first ever live appearance at the NEC at the beginning of the 90's with an ex-girlfriend. Didn't want to go but thoroughly enjoyed it. There was tons going on. Ballet dancers, giant screens, acrobats, etc. They needed it though as in the middle of this massive stage there were just the two of them. The only time they moved was to walk onto the stage and then to walk off at the end.

Paul Anthony

Nightwish, Wembley Arena December 2015. Purely amazing. The only thing that out a downer on it was Jimmy Hill died the same day.

torchomatic

Thin Lizzy on the Black Rose tour with my brother. I was 14. He took he as one of his mates pulled out. They were fantastic. We were right at the front and I touched Gary Moore's foot. My claim to fame.

Otis

Kraftwerk - Birmingham Odeon
Buzzcocks - Hummingbird
Richard Hawley - Assembly
Depeche Mode - multiple times, always give a good show

Other memorable gigs XTC, Teenage Fanclub, OMD, Fad Gadget, Devo, The Church...too many to mention.
Yeah. Depeche Mode were one I was considering to include.

Buzzcocks were always good and Pete Shelley at Busters when he did the solo album was excellent too.

aloisiwouldhavescored

Tina Turner at the NEC with support act Bryan Adams. Special surprise guest at the end of the show David Bowie. Absolutely fantastic night, went on for hours.

torchomatic

Yeah. Depeche Mode were one I was considering to include.

Buzzcocks were always good and Pete Shelley at Busters when he did the solo album was excellent too.

Yeah, I saw Shelley there and also at Leicester University. They used to have some good bands at Cov Uni too. Remember seeing The Big Dish (who I was well into at the time) there.

Not a regret as such but I could have seen the Smiths once, but decided against it. Didn't really like them at the time. Funnily enough, never changed my mind either.

Saw Haircut 100 in Brum plus the original line-up of the Human League. Saw them again on the Dare tour at Cov Theatre. Saw Pete Shelley solo with a drum machine and Barry Adamson (he of Magazine) on bass. Not sure where that was now. It was around 1982.

torchomatic

Edit: saw Simple Minds when they were good too before the overblown stadium thing kicked in. I've always pondered on why the same band can produce I Travel or The American but also Belfast Child.

olderskyblue

Best sound quality was Simply Red (yeah, i know...) at the NEC many moons ago.
Best head banging - Sabbath in the early days
Weirdest - Crazy world of Arthur Brown - Hastings Pier. Thought the pier was going to collapse.
More recently, Killers, Snow Patrol, Foo Fighters - all amazing

The wife's choices - Every Rod Stewart concert she's been to (Lots) :D

bringbackrattles

Seen some great bands. The line up at the Bath Festival in 1970 was awesome with Zeppelin top of the bill. But for me seeing Big Country twice at the Hummingbird Club in Brum stands out. Small venue but they were outstanding. Saw the Mission there too and they were good. And me and a mate were at the Odeon in Brum the last night before it closed down to see The Cult. Ear popping rock !

bringbackrattles

Thin Lizzy on the Black Rose tour with my brother. I was 14. He took he as one of his mates pulled out. They were fantastic. We were right at the front and I touched Gary Moore's foot. My claim to fame.
I'm jealous as never saw them. Nearest I've got is seeing Limehouse Lizzy tribute act, but they are good.

Otis

Yeah, I saw Shelley there and also at Leicester University. They used to have some good bands at Cov Uni too. Remember seeing The Big Dish (who I was well into at the time) there.

Not a regret as such but I could have seen the Smiths once, but decided against it. Didn't really like them at the time. Funnily enough, never changed my mind either.

Saw Haircut 100 in Brum plus the original line-up of the Human League. Saw them again on the Dare tour at Cov Theatre. Saw Pete Shelley solo with a drum machine and Barry Adamson (he of Magazine) on bass. Not sure where that was now. It was around 1982.
Yep, I was there for the Dare tour at the Cov Theatre. :)

wingy

So many to choose from and not reflecting my current Favourites but I think Peter Gabriel at the NEC blew my mind .

W

westcountry_skyblue

The Who at the NEC in 89 is my favourite,Daltrey,Townsend,Entwhistle and Kenny Jones on drums.
So loud,They could really play!!

pastythegreat

Went to see Foo Fighters Friday at the Olympic Statium, best concert I've been to.
Atmosphere and the Foo's were both
Seen the foos at IoW in 2011. Absolute quality gig. Really played the crowd well and made it a special night. Just kept on playing too. Stayed on stage until they were Litterally kicked off

ovduk78

I'm jealous as never saw them. Nearest I've got is seeing Limehouse Lizzy tribute act, but they are good.
I saw Thin Lizzy on the Renegade tour at de Montfort Hall and only went cause someone couldn't go on the day, they were fantastic.
Also saw Gary Moore at the NEC and I have never seen a group enjoy themselves so much.
Evanescence in Glasgow in may backed by a full orchestra, I was amazed at how good Amy Lee's voice is and how good a full orchestra sounds, especially the violins
Another last minute one was Fleetwood Mac, my mate's soon to be ex-wife decided not to go and I stepped in, they were very good.
Cyndi Lauper at Shepherd's Bush Empire in the mid 90's and she was brilliant

Grendel

Thin Lizzy were a strange band. The studio albums mostly sounded tame and over produced but on stage they were a different beast all together.

djr8369

Atmosphere and the Foo's were both amazing

I was there too and found it very average. In their defence I was really tired and not that excited about going as had seen them before and the crowd did seem to be really into it.

I saw Arcade Fire recently at NEC and that was certainly up there for best gig I’ve been to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingy

I was there too and found it very average. In their defence I was really tired and not that excited about going as had seen them before and the crowd did seem to be really into it.

I saw Arcade Fire recently at NEC and that was certainly up there for best gig I’ve been to.

Yeah was ace night .

ICHAN

Fancy going to see them myself, now I've read their good I'll have to keep a look out.

Having not seen the foo's before it was a new experiance and another band off the list, seen the chillis's quite a few times, so Arcade fire looks like the next one :)

Users who are viewing this thread