Best City XI of All-time (RM/RW) (1 Viewer)

bringbackrattles

Willie Humphries was an outstanding right winger,and Rees was over on the left. My favourite ever midfielder was Ian "Gibbo" Gibson,who had a free role if I recall. So it's Gibbo in the 60's for me.

bringbackrattles

Are blueflint and I the only ones who saw Rees play on the right and humphries on the left?
Come to think of it Rees did alternate wings from time to time,but he was mainly a left-winger. Humphries to my recollection was always out on the right skinning defenders.He did however play inside right for Northern Ireland a couple of times.

skyblueinBaku

I remember that Humphries was on the left in the cup tie against Man U in '63. I have a vivid recollection of Denis Law with a huge smile on his face, blind side of the referee dragging Humphries down by the front of his shirt as they both went for the ball. It happened right in front of me and I've hated Law ever since.

Adge

Has to be Bennett, not the quickest but bags of skill and most of the time would deliver and chip in with the goals aswell.
Decade 80's.

phildownunder

Come to think of it Rees did alternate wings from time to time,but he was mainly a left-winger. Humphries to my recollection was always out on the right skinning defenders.He did however play inside right for Northern Ireland a couple of times.

Rees was equally at home on either wing but played on the left to accommodate Humphries on the right.

When Humphries was absent, reserve winger John Mitten would come in who was very left footed and Rees would switch to the right.

Haven`t been voting on this but as I`m here now I`ll go for Dave Bennet. (60`s)

blueflint

I remember that Humphries was on the left in the cup tie against Man U in '63. I have a vivid recollection of Denis Law with a huge smile on his face, blind side of the referee dragging Humphries down by the front of his shirt as they both went for the ball. It happened right in front of me and I've hated Law ever since.

i was there that day too

phildownunder

Just a quick follow up on my earlier post on Rees (which I know will be of zero interest to the younger ones on here).

Rees did switch to the right when the left sided Dave Clements arrived later and played on the wing. I guess this means that it would be quite legit to vote for Rees in the right wing slot.

Grendel

Bennett for a large part of his time here was actually poor - it was only under Sillett's guidance did he improve and I think he left fairly quickly after 1987.

I suppose as he is not a right winger (or wasn't for a large part of his time at the club) no one has mentioned Gynn.

However, he is right sided and played a fair few games in that position.

241 games over 10 years and would have still been capable in todays game.

Can't see why he gets no mentions as the midfield two will not see him get in either

rupert_bear

Bit puzzled if it is 4-2-4 then I assume we are voting on the right side of the 2 midfield personally I would have gone for 4-3-3 but never mind. For me there is one stand out player, Ian Gibson, arguably our best ever player, he had the skill of Eden Hazzard, long range passing of Glen Hoddle either foot and tenacity. A true great.

60s

Last edited:

bringbackrattles

Bit puzzled if it is 4-2-4 then I assume we are voting on the right side of the 2 midfield personally I would have gone for 4-3-3 but never mind. For me there is one stand out player, Ian Gibson, arguably our best ever player, he had the skill of Eden Hazzard, long range passing of Glen Hoddle either foot and tenacity. A true great.

60s
I voted for Gibbo !

Otis

Bennett for a large part of his time here was actually poor - it was only under Sillett's guidance did he improve and I think he left fairly quickly after 1987.

I suppose as he is not a right winger (or wasn't for a large part of his time at the club) no one has mentioned Gynn.

However, he is right sided and played a fair few games in that position.

241 games over 10 years and would have still been capable in todays game.

Can't see why he gets no mentions as the midfield two will not see him get in either
Well I was going to say Gynn, but while he did play wide right occasionally, he was much more potent playing inside.

I too would say Bennett, but that is as much to do with us not having that many strong wide players out right during my viewing years. Too young for Humphreys and Rees and I vaguely remember Ian Gibson. Think one of the first right wingers I can recall was Quinton Young.

Bennett.

60's

simonregis

Amazing how people view a player once they moved or long since retired. Benno was great in 87 but like most wingers could be infuriating.
Therefore I go for Gallagher

Grendel

Amazing how people view a player once they moved or long since retired. Benno was great in 87 but like most wingers could be infuriating.
Therefore I go for Gallagher

I think, to be honest, the role is confusing as as wide right players are not now as common

Gallagher you would say can do that role but is more associated as a forward - not a number 7.

That's the interpretation. I can think of very few out and out 7's that fulfil this. Bennett was it in the 80's really and then 4 4 2 became unfashionable,

Prior to Bennett we had the likes of graydon, Cartwright and Nardiello.

If we are going that route then John Beck is the choice for me.

Bennett had one good season but the idea if him in an all time best 11 is a tad silly.

skybluelee

60s

No, we're doing FOUR FOUR FUCKING TWO! (for the Mike Bassett fans)

We are voting for the right-sided of the four, not the right side of the central two. After this we'll do wide left, then the two central midfielders.

Skyblueweeman

Damn it...just saw this. Let me have one vote please sir...per-leeeeaaaasssse?!

Bennett - 80s.

PS. Wasn't Gallagher up top?

shmmeee

Damn it...just saw this. Let me have one vote please sir...per-leeeeaaaasssse?!

Bennett - 80s.

PS. Wasn't Gallagher up top?

He played right wing and up front. Wore number 7 at one point (cos me mum sewed it onto the back of my city top).

Users who are viewing this thread