Berlin (1 Viewer)

PurpleBin

Booked for a weekend in March.

Any suggestions? Staying at Teirgarten (?) Going with the wife.

Looks nice!

Covrock

Many years ago. There was a bar with a stage in. The stage moved off to the side revealing a pool, with naked ladies in. Say no more. By the time certain people arrived home their bags were waiting on the door step. Maybe strike it off places to visit. Brilliant City.

clint van damme

Looks nice!

Great place. Loads of great bars. Great vibe.
Went on a stag so didn't get to do the usual touristy stuff so can't really tell you to much about that side of it, (hopefully go back soon and do it).
Only think I don't like about Germany is the food. It's fucking awful.

PurpleBin

Went on a stag so didn't get to do the usual touristy stuff so can't really tell you to much about that side of it, (hopefully go back soon and do it).

All sausages? I assumed that would be shit.

Is it a big place? Like where abouts are the main areas to go for a drink? Or is it one of them spread about places?

PurpleBin

Many years ago. There was a bar with a stage in. The stage moved off to the side revealing a pool, with naked ladies in. Say no more. By the time certain people arrived home their bags were waiting on the door step. Maybe strike it off places to visit. Brilliant City.

Sounds great!

clint van damme

All sausages? I assumed that would be shit.

Is it a big place? Like where abouts are the main areas to go for a drink? Or is it one of them spread about places?

It's spread out. We drank in a lot of different areas. I can't remember the names unfortunately.

hill83

I went a couple of years back and thought it was absolutely shite. No bars and stinks of shit.

I enjoyed all the museums and war stuff etc though.

RedSalmon

Had a great time there a couple of years ago. If you get chance do the segway tour of the city, it's a great way to see all the landmarks and interesting buildings.

Liquid Gold

I went a couple of years back and thought it was absolutely shite. No bars and stinks of shit.

I enjoyed all the museums and war stuff etc though.
Same, was walking about for ages trying to find some decent places to drink and ended up settling. Might not have helped that it was -10 at the time.

Budapest is much better for drinking.

hill83

There are a few bars in the arches at Hackershermarkt which is near the river. Tbh mate me and the missus had a great time there so did me and my mates a few years later.

We end up in the Irish bar at the Hackershermarkt and there was a couple of others. It wasn’t what I was expecting overall though. I normally do my research before going but this was a last minute thing organised by someone else.

Badger

It is definitely spread into different areas. We walk a lot and take the underground.

We usually look for Irish pubs on the internet because they are usually in busy areas but don't always use them. There is one with live music in th shopping centre near the zoo. Alexanderplatz and Potsdamplatz are busy too. There are a few bars by the river, the Irish bar in Hackershermarkt is the most expensive one we found in Berlin. There is an Oscar Wilde bar

I agree with the East German museum, enjoyed that. You've also got a museum next where Check Point Charlie is. Loads to do and see.

Joy Division

Berlin is a great city, do agree if you are looking for places to drink by just wandering around it can be quite tricky to find the good bars so I'd always recommend doing some research beforehand. I always prefer the east for going out and in general I find it more appealing rather than the west of the city, it's always worth a trip up the Berlin Fernsehturm at Alexanderplatz which is the big TV tower overlooking the city and built by the Russians in the 60's as a giant fuck you to the West. There is a bar at the top and would definitely recommend getting a ticket for early evening when the sun goes down.

clint van damme

Berlin is a great city, do agree if you are looking for places to drink by just wandering around it can be quite tricky to find the good bars so I'd always recommend doing some research beforehand. I always prefer the east for going out and in general I find it more appealing rather than the west of the city, it's always worth a trip up the Berlin Fernsehturm at Alexanderplatz which is the big TV tower overlooking the city and built by the Russians in the 60's as a giant fuck you to the West. There is a bar at the top and would definitely recommend getting a ticket for early evening when the sun goes down.

Alexanderplatz is where I stayed. There's a big square full of bars about 5 minutes away and there's the riverside bars and one of the hotels has a rooftop bar.
Also, there's a park nearby, was walking through there at about 3 in the morning and it was pitch black, saw a light and headed for it. Bizarrely it was an Egyptian bar with a belly dancer.
As you come out of the park there's an Irish bar.

Joy Division

There are also many great guided walking tours of the city and I'd second the above suggestion of the Checkpoint Charlie Museum. If you've never been to Berlin before I highly recommend doing these early on as it gives you a sense of the vibe of the place and its troubled history which later on into your stay the City will all make sense to you then and a lot better to enjoy.

fernandopartridge

We end up in the Irish bar at the Hackershermarkt and there was a couple of others. It wasn’t what I was expecting overall though. I normally do my research before going but this was a last minute thing organised by someone else.
Yeah, it isn't as good as other German cities but with decent company we had a good craic.

Me and a mate ended up in western Berlin in a little bar and got chatting to a German who was delighted and surprised that we as English people were talking to him. Pretty sad and embarrassing that he'd assumed we didn't like germans.

fernandopartridge

There is another Irish bar which is on the corner I think of Freidrichstrasse and the river, we stayed on Freidrichstrasse. That was OK, we used it as a starting point

Brighton Sky Blue

Looks nice!

Get a massive Doner from a kebab stand-basically functions as a meal. Best museums were the Stasi one (preserved Stasi offices with Mielke’s private quarters), and a free museum of the wall with a preserved guard tower. Checkpoint Charlie is a tourist trap and probably best avoided.

Perhaps less well known but really worth a quick visit is the Kaiser Wilhelm church near the zoo. It has a strong link to Coventry and has a small exhibit on the cross of nails.

Brighton Sky Blue

Yeah, it isn't as good as other German cities but with decent company we had a good craic.

Me and a mate ended up in western Berlin in a little bar and got chatting to a German who was delighted and surprised that we as English people were talking to him. Pretty sad and embarrassing that he'd assumed we didn't like germans.

They seem even more stunned if you speak German with them

no_loyalty

Went there in 1989, two weeks before the wall was taken down, also went into East Germany and was cheap as fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread