Ben Turner - Bad News... Or Is It? (1 Viewer)

guicey15

According to reports in the CET. Birmingham are lining up a £3 million bid for Ben Turner. This must mean they are on the brink of selling Scott Dann (Ben Turner being the replacement) So £3million for Ben + £1million sell on fess from Dann means we have £4million to spend on a quality striker! What do you all think?

Otis

I think that no way on god's earth would we get 4 mill to spend on players. Would be lucky to see £750,000 of that tops for transfers.

Marty

I would think 500k is all we would need really. that 500k will give us enough to up our bid for Le Fondre & get a midfielder in from the lower leagues.

CovisGod

We probably wouldn't see a penny of either going into the playing squad, however, spend a mill of the 4 on Le Fondre, another mill into our wage structure getting in a decent free and let 2m go back to Sisu, wouldn't be too dissapointed with that, especially as we have the centre back roles pretty much covered at the minute, maybe this is why McPake has signed a new deal ?

AmyandAdamsDad

I think the telegraph are confused.
What it should day is, "Brum owners like a Bent Earner"

zigojacko

I agree with the above, we wouldn't even see 25% of that money, when have we ever had any money to spend on players after selling our best players? All money gets swallowed up elsewhere. For what it's worth, I hope Ben Turner doesn't leave, we're close to having a squad barely fit for League 2 if we continue!

pusbccfc

Can't see who would come to cov anyway!

CovisGod

If they spend a mill on Le Fondre I would be gutted :(

I must say I disagree Nick, I've always rated Le Fondre, if a mill is what it would take to get him on board I'd spend it, it's not like he's 33 and it would be a waste, he's a lad I'm sure would do a great job at our level and would
probably make a profit on him same as we have with the likes of Dann, Fox etc.

Dinyull

£3-4m would pretty much cover the losses for the season, don't think a penny would be given for transfer fee's - might free up some money for wages though. And centre half is our most stacked position and that was before Keogh was classed as a CB.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I can not see why anyone would buy a player who has had a series of serious injuries without seeing him play again let alone pay £2-3 million on him. It may happen but I doubt that it will be before Turner proves he is over the injury - as yet he hasnt even played a friendly !

torchomatic

i'd snap their hands off for that amount. Richard Wood is a better defender anyway and not as injury prone.

howzer

Banned
massive mistake, i have been saying they will sell him for about 2 months now, and for 4 million not 3, because he is a future 10 million player like Dann. big mistake selling him he could be the player we could build a team around. we will have no quality left not to mention his goals.

apart from that how will he pass their medical???? i thought he was crocked!! they would not be lying to us would they ?? not sisu??

Spanieldencer

Loads of people rate Wood yet I can't see why. He always looks so slow and prone to mistakes. Turner is often injured, but I just always feel a bit more secure with him at the back.

tisza

Take the cash with a sell-on %.
Plenty of cover at the back.
Also might give us more chance of holding onto Jutki.

Dinyull

apart from that how will he pass their medical???? i thought he was crocked!! they would not be lying to us would they ?? not sisu??

Medical's look more into injuries that could happen in the future - ie knee (or joint) problems etc - not muscle pulls or strains as those can't be forseen.

rob9872

Just at Coventry in the past few seasons we have had rave reviews for Turner, Wood, McPake, Cameron, Keogh, Cranie, Grandison, Dann, Ward .... even Barnett was decent as proved with Norwich but blighted by a couple of big errors and sending offs here. May even be some others I've missed too and yet players who came with a rep and pedigree, like ADZ were awful.

Ben Turner imo is excellent, I would be loathed to lose him, but as per that list above central defenders at this level are replaceable. They do not come up agaisnt anything like the class of forward that you get in the Premier League and for that reason I would always sell for £3m upwards. We are ok in that department, but solid replacements can be bought for less. Strikers who can score your way out of this league are priceless.

If we were building for the future and had genuine PL ambition, then we ould need to keep BT, because eh would cost a lot more to replace post-promotion, but as staying up is our realistic target this season, then we can afford to lose him, if it means that we can get a goalscorer in and can hold onto all our promising youth for longer.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Making the assumption that Turner can return to similar form to last year I think it is a mistake. Of all the centre backs we have he is the only one you would say is big strong and dominant..... comes across as a leader on the pitch and we certainly need that quality.

The others have other qualities but we need a centre back in that mould. Keogh for me is a better RB, Mcpake gets his foot in strongly but isnt that good in the air, Wood too slow never fills me with confidence, Crainie good player but is the covering centre back, Cameron lacks experience but will be a good player

still cant see birmingham paying for a player that hasnt proven fitness - and if they do there will be all sorts of clauses in the contract so that we dont get the money up front

pusb

les_miserables

Agreed and there's another point, Ben Turner has everything to become a top player and a target for the money men in the Premiership. He is strong, mobile, good in the air, marks his player well and can get the odd goal. There is also another ingredient ...he is left footed, good left footed centre halves are as rare as rocking horse shit and a lot more valuable than their right footed counter parts. I remember our Chelsea experiance when up against the in form Drogba when substituted he went out of his way to shake Turner's hand, and don't say it was because of his goal that was Scott Dann's fault

Marty

players from the lower leagues and that is where you end up !

not at all, it's all about buying the right players, if everybody lived by what you said, not a single player would move up the divisions, Our best players in recent seasons have all been lower league players, all of which have gone onto bigger and better things.Young players have started to reliase they can further their career by dropping down a few divisons and playing regularly. Not every signing is going to be able to step up and become the player you think he will, but the same can be said for 30 million pound players (Veron), it's a risk you take, but I would much rather pick up 3-4 good, young, hungry players then sign another Sherwood.

Glenn Storer

I'd prefer that if we must sell Turner, (which I'd rather we didn't) the money went toward a striker. However, we all know we'd see about 750,000 of that and it's not enough frankly. Rotherham would hear we had money from any sale and would push their asking price up accordingly. Undisclosed fee or not.

Sky Blue Sheepy

Tbh I can't argue with the fact we'll see little to none of that.
I would still rather get a Prem Striker on loan and use the money to go towards their wages.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
I thought that we got 10% of the excess over £3.5m for Dann. If he goes for £10m thats £650k not a million. Plus his fee will have clauses in about the payment, add ons for appearances etc so we wont even see £650k up front

TheSnoz

Ben Turner showed in the first few months of last season what an outstanding central defender he had become. Massive physique, dominant, first to the ball. Inspirational. And was a threat at set pieces. We would be mad to sell him. We should be building the team around him when he finally returns.
But like the majority of the posters I fear Sisu will sell him. When fit.

brinner

we now no how sisu are going to fund us until the end of the season.

asset stripping continues, they are fucking parasites.

Dinyull

we now no how sisu are going to fund us until the end of the season.

asset stripping continues, they are fucking parasites.

What are the alternatives? Let the debt build to uncontrollable levels. Remind me how that ended last time, oh wait it hasn't yet.

Last edited:

stupot07

I thought that we got 10% of the excess over £3.5m for Dann. If he goes for £10m thats £650k not a million. Plus his fee will have clauses in about the payment, add ons for appearances etc so we wont even see £650k up front

Dunno just saying what it said in the paper. Unless its a 15% sell on clause £975k?

Tbh I've just been talk to a colleague who's a blues fan and he said they have no money to sign anyone other than bosmans. I wouldn't sell turner to blues as we may get more from someone else. We'd only get £1-1.5m up front anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread