Ben Stevenson - Colchester (1 Viewer)

SkybluesBenny

Interestingly Wilson wasn’t rated at the Club before his first team run. His loan move to Tamworth was lined up to be a permanent deal until Wilson got injured.

Fine margins .....
His ability would have been never in doubt I assume. Maybe it was more of resting on his lorals and a bit of trying to be a jack the lad and the fact he knew that it was last chance saloon at the city to put the talent into practice.
Kevin Thornton was a prime example of it either going one way or the other

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Skybluefaz

At the time Wolves were pretty much promoted and had players like Neves in central midfield. He was never ever going to get a look-in, the same as Thomas won't at Leicester.
A person has to believe in their own ability though. If it does not come off as it hasn't at least he can hopefully say he gave it his best shot.

Whether or not he can say that for his time anywhere I'm not so sure.

SAJ

I don’t think any of them would have, including Sambou — who was on the bench for Everton U23s against us in preseason. The same guy who left because he didn’t get first team football...

Players like those three need to screw their heads on properly and be a bit realistic.

It wouldn’t surprise if 2-3 of Harries, Stevenson, Thomas and Sambou dropped out of the football league altogether. For someone like Sambou, L2 looks like the ceiling at this rate.

Such a waste of talent, it’s a real shame.
Would be surprised if Harries dropped out. Since the end of November he has had been in most 1st team squads at Swansea.

skybluesam66

so Wolves with their budgets, could have made the following decisions

Choice of Leon Clarke or Callum Wilson
Choice of Ben Stevenson or Tom Bayliss

do you think they are interested in a 5ft2in striker?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

They were also clearly both more talented and miles ahead of the other two when they were here. I could be wrong, but I see the same in Bayliss as having that extra bit of quality. If he can keep grounded and keep improving I see no reason he cant make it to the very top. The way he glides past players effortlessly is a joy to watch and just needs to find that final killer pass a little more often.

I think Bayliss is better than Stevenson but nowhere near Maddison. If he left he have to do it the same way IMO - Championship club and see how he gets on.

At the moment I wouldn't say he's setting L1 alight. I also don't think he glides past players effortlessly - he more often than not loses possession and tends to get the run of the ball in tackles (though that could be his positioning on the ball results in his going his way). He's decent and has potential to go further, but he's got a lot of developing to do yet I'm afraid.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Interestingly Wilson wasn’t rated at the Club before his first team run. His loan move to Tamworth was lined up to be a permanent deal until Wilson got injured.

Fine margins .....

Yep - what I saw of him as a youngster I never foresaw what has happened since. At most I expected him to forge a lower league career based on his willingness to work and learn. Fair play to him for how far he's gone since, especially given the two ACL's. Took a sensible progression where he would test and develop himself but also get first team football.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Maddison and Wilson moved well because they were offered good chances of team football/loans that would challenge them. Thomas, Stevenson, Harries Bigi all moved to play under 23 football that doesn't develop you as a player.

Agree entirely, and I hope future prospects take heed of this in their careers.

Thomas I can kind of understand as it was his home town club and when Harries left Swansea looked certain to be relegated and maybe he felt he'd have a chance due to players wanting out at the end of the season?

steve82

I think Bayliss is better than Stevenson but nowhere near Maddison. If he left he have to do it the same way IMO - Championship club and see how he gets on.

At the moment I wouldn't say he's setting L1 alight. I also don't think he glides past players effortlessly - he more often than not loses possession and tends to get the run of the ball in tackles (though that could be his positioning on the ball results in his going his way). He's decent and has potential to go further, but he's got a lot of developing to do yet I'm afraid.

Agree with these points. A lot of work to do yet but progressing in doing so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I don’t think any of them would have, including Sambou — who was on the bench for Everton U23s against us in preseason. The same guy who left because he didn’t get first team football...

Players like those three need to screw their heads on properly and be a bit realistic.

It wouldn’t surprise if 2-3 of Harries, Stevenson, Thomas and Sambou dropped out of the football league altogether. For someone like Sambou, L2 looks like the ceiling at this rate.

Such a waste of talent, it’s a real shame.

As far as I know Sambou is top scorer for Everton U23 and playing regularly for them, and expected to earn a new contract.

Whether he actually gets a chance in their first team and is a success is another matter - I think eventually he'll have to drop down if he actually does want first team football (couldn't understand his reasoning for the move if his desire was first team football (as was claimed at the time).

Could end up another JCH and turn up back here in a few years time?

I just hope Ponti doesn't end up the same. Given how the strikers have done this year you can't help but feel he can feel a bit miffed at not being considered first team ready even if he is inexperienced. He'd regularly put the ball in the net at every other level at the club and even at first team level his goals per minute ratio is half decent.

Mucca Mad Boys

As far as I know Sambou is top scorer for Everton U23 and playing regularly for them, and expected to earn a new contract.

Whether he actually gets a chance in their first team and is a success is another matter - I think eventually he'll have to drop down if he actually does want first team football (couldn't understand his reasoning for the move if his desire was first team football (as was claimed at the time).

Could end up another JCH and turn up back here in a few years time?

I just hope Ponti doesn't end up the same. Given how the strikers have done this year you can't help but feel he can feel a bit miffed at not being considered first team ready even if he is inexperienced. He'd regularly put the ball in the net at every other level at the club and even at first team level his goals per minute ratio is half decent.

I'm glad he's doing well for Everton U23s, I saw he was on the bench against us in pre-season and another game for them and made an assumption off that. Probably jumped the gun a bit. But, he's yet to make a single senior appearance since the FA Cup for us and he's 21 now. Frankly, he shouldn't resign for Everton and try and get a league 1 club to sign him to get some first-team football. Personally, like Thomas, he would've been better off staying with us because how many Premiership clubs are blooding through 21-year-olds? He will end up falling down the footballing ladder because he's not played men's football yet, it's a shame.

People read too much into the wages these kinds of players get, at U23 standard, they'll be on good wages, but a 3-4 year contract won't set you for life and if players like Sambou and Thomas drop to L1 and below, they would make more money building their career earning a transfer up the footballing ladder. Take Maddison and Wilson for example, they went to Norwich (then a lower Prem side) and Bournemouth (Champ), both players played well and ended up playing in the Premiership, and wages to match. Frankly, younger players will be more likely to fulfil their potential in the EFL or abroad better than trying their luck in a Premiership's U23 side.

Nick

Administrator
At the time they go from a few hundred to a few grand. It won't set them for life but it can make things comfortable.

Then if they drop down they are set.

rob9872

I think he's still on track - don't forget he's a bit younger than the others at still only 19. He has to develop of course and I think the best place to do that is in our first team rather than someone elses U23 but he's clearly talented imo and I think will go right to the top. I guess we'll see and happy for you to bump this in 5 years time if he turns out like Conor Thomas :)

Adge

Are we all forgetting that he was part of that abysmal team that went down-then couldn’t even get into a L2 team?
Surprised he has managed to get another gig.

stevefloyd

The thing is a lot of kids are being fed bullshit by their parents or family telling them how great they are, then you have agents trying to line their own pockets and again feeding bullshit is it any wonder a few of these kids try to reach for the stars too early?
Bayliss atm seems as though he has his head screwed on and is being advised well plus the fact he's seen the likes of Stevenson, Thomas go on and not exactly set the world alight.

Users who are viewing this thread