Belief? At what point do you think we lost ours? (1 Viewer)

Londonccfcfan

In one word: Goal-keeper. I think the belief started high until we all realized Burge was not good enough. Then belief surged again when RCC came in and kept all those clean sheets. Then as soon as the run of clean sheets ended and the defensive players realized RCC was not good enough either, belief evaporated.

Dont get me started on him, but true he has no belief. Broken man, but we have no option but to support him.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I lost belief the day we were relegated from the Premier League. :(

Londonccfcfan

Post Gillingham at home. Though I think it was the opposite of lack of belief. Players started talking about promotion and then we were crap. I think a few got a bit cocky.

Analyse the Gillingham game properly we were on fire first half.

We were shocking 2nd half. They won the second half 1 nil, as soon as Ben Turner went off in around 60 mins completely lost the plot. The slide started there.

Otis

Analyse the Gillingham game properly we were on fire first half.

We were shocking 2nd half. They won the second half 1 nil, as soon as Ben Turner went off in around 60 mins completely lost the plot. The slide started there.
We had the game won and took our foot off the gas. We were indeed woeful in that second half.

Londonccfcfan

We had the game won and took our foot off the gas. We were indeed woeful in that second half.

We probably thought the game was won twice vs Doncaster too? oh and against Oldham and Wallsall.

Good sides don't think the game is won wether it's 1 nil, 2 nil or 4 nil. Don't buy this we took our feet off the gas.

We were 4 nil up against Crewe at half time, did we take our foot of the gas again then? As we wernt great 2nd half, they should have scored 4 goals second half.

Would have thought we would would have learned from Gillingham game not to take foot of the gas even if your four nil up.

Gazolba

<snip>

We were 4 nil up against Crewe at half time, did we take our foot of the gas again then? As we wernt great 2nd half, they should have scored 4 goals second half.

<snip>

There is some excuse for that if you are 4-0 up at HT. You want to take off anyone on a yellow, rest tired players and maybe give someone new a few minutes. However, you must never take your foot off the gas if you are only one goal up, especially in the last 15 minutes.

SkyblueBazza

Just a thought...Chris Anderson comes in during November with his pretty radical approach to stats. Part of his remit was reported in some quarters as including 'football strategy'. Is TM trying to display an open-minded approach to some unwelcome meddling? But buying into it with less than full comittment?

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Imissandywhing

difficult to decide when. Sheffield U maybe?
Just listening to 5 Live talking about Leicester and to fans and ex players etc. and so much of their success is being put down to belief. The confidence and belief to think you will win and are invincible.

I recall Dalglish saying the same about Blackburn when they won the league. Belief was their biggest asset.

We seemed to be very confident and had that belief ourselves.

Just wondering, can anyone pinpoint a defining moment when that belief was suddenly lost to us this season? Any one game, or did it just erode away over time.

Walsall at home maybe? And/or Burton?

Against Walsall we were winning and I think the players and TM thought we were strong enough to hold out for the win. Walsall had loads of possession and were really coming at us, but weren't creating any real clear cut chances.

I think that late equaliser knocked a lot of stuffing out of us, so, the Walsall game perhaps?

The Burton game we started off strongly, but the minute that first goal went in following Phillips' insane giveaway the match was lost. Our heads dropped and we looked a beaten side from that moment, so Burton perhaps?

Any one particular game you think, or just an erosion over a period of time?

Personally, if I were to pinpoint it to one game I would say Burton. As soon as we went 1-0 down it felt like we had been transported back to the Pressley and Thorn era where we looked clueless and beaten and with no answer.

The lack of fightback in that Burton game was a massive concern to me and then of course, in the last home game against Scunthorpe, it was truly boys against men.

What does everyone think? I am sure belief has formed a big part of what Walsall and Burton have done this season.

Otis

We were very confident that day, despite not playing brilliantly. We were well in control and only a City victory seemed likely.

What transpired would surely dishearten any team.

If that's the case though, it shouldn't have been carried through to a number of subsequent matches.

WestEndAgro

We were very confident that day, despite not playing brilliantly. We were well in control and only a City victory seemed likely.

If that's the case though, it shouldn't have been carried through to a number of subsequent matches.

You are quite right Otis, but I myself felt really deflated after that game, it was like something changed, I literally had to stop thinking/dwelling about the match because it just felt so unjust, couldn't get it out of my head for a while.

fernandopartridge

In one word: Goal-keeper. I think the belief started high until we all realized Burge was not good enough. Then belief surged again when RCC came in and kept all those clean sheets. Then as soon as the run of clean sheets ended and the defensive players realized RCC was not good enough either, belief evaporated.

Nonsense, your vendetta against RCC is ridiculous.

The dip in form is down to a variety of factors, some out of our control.

WestEndAgro

You are quite right Otis, but I myself felt really deflated after that game, it was like something changed, I literally had to stop thinking/dwelling about the match because it just felt so unjust, couldn't get it out of my head for a while.

And obviously still haven't.

Imissandywhing

we were very confident that day and must have felt like a robbery after the decisions that went against us.

skyblueinBaku

The Sheffield United game. The result left everyone deflated, and some of the team became 'gun shy' when they realised that they would have lumps kicked out of them without a shred of protection from match officials.

nmp2327

For me the moment Turner got injured at home to Port Vale, was the turning point of the season so far. Totally disrupting our defensive line up and one we have yet to fully recover from, hopefully the 2 new loanees can now address the issue and we can reboot our season from here.

covcity4life

For me the moment Turner got injured at home to Port Vale, was the turning point of the season so far. Totally disrupting our defensive line up and one we have yet to fully recover from, hopefully the 2 new loanees can now address the issue and we can reboot our season from here.

was vs oldham but yeah a pretty big moment. although defence did ok for next 2-3 games

having philli[ps and haynes in team is main reason we not been so good imo. with a fullbacks like stokes,rickkets and lorentzken we should be ok to pick up form again now i think

Otis

Is there any news on the Lorentzson injury? I'm hoping he'll be a big player for us this season

skybluelee

Interesting thread. I think its been a cumulative effect of a number of things over the last two months;

The silly goals v Doncaster, the injury to Turner and the last kick of the game goal v Oldham, the Sheffield United injustice....

But what really did it for me was when Phillips made that astonishing mistake to gift Burton their first goal, you just sensed the belief ebbing away from the players as they didn't remotely get close to getting back into the game. And we've been terrible ever since.

Just hope the defensive re-inforcements can kick-start the season. it may just take a scrappy 1-0 (so nearly achieved at the weekend) to get them going again.

LB87ccfc

Cookie's performance Sunday was one of the best I have ever seen in 24 years of following the club through thick and thin, world class saves at crucial times.

LB87ccfc

Cargill was outstanding Sunday found his man every time ball at feet and headed everything that come his way Brilliant debut.

Otis

Interesting thread. I think its been a cumulative effect of a number of things over the last two months;

The silly goals v Doncaster, the injury to Turner and the last kick of the game goal v Oldham, the Sheffield United injustice....

But what really did it for me was when Phillips made that astonishing mistake to gift Burton their first goal, you just sensed the belief ebbing away from the players as they didn't remotely get close to getting back into the game. And we've been terrible ever since.

Just hope the defensive re-inforcements can kick-start the season. it may just take a scrappy 1-0 (so nearly achieved at the weekend) to get them going again.
All our oxygen seemed to be sucked out the second Phillips gave away that howler. Interesting to note it was our first home defeat and after that, not only was that part of a 3 match losing streak, but also within that we suddenly lost 2 at home on the bounce.

Think that Burton defeat hit everyone badly.

Hobo

I think this thread has run its course!

Hobo

Just a suggestion ;-)

Otis

Listen, if we can have eleventy billion pages on the biggest club in Coventry, surely we can manage 10 on this can't we?

oakey

I think I always knew we would be crap when we sold Dennis Mortimer to Villa when I was about 12.

georgehudson

i'm not convinced of Anderson, he comes in as a CEO & starts meddling with the job that MV seemed to have been doing quite well, & that thing Fisher is still hanging about

simonregis

Just listening to 5 Live talking about Leicester and to fans and ex players etc. and so much of their success is being put down to belief. The confidence and belief to think you will win and are invincible.

I recall Dalglish saying the same about Blackburn when they won the league. Belief was their biggest asset.

We seemed to be very confident and had that belief ourselves.

Just wondering, can anyone pinpoint a defining moment when that belief was suddenly lost to us this season? Any one game, or did it just erode away over time.

Walsall at home maybe? And/or Burton?

Against Walsall we were winning and I think the players and TM thought we were strong enough to hold out for the win. Walsall had loads of possession and were really coming at us, but weren't creating any real clear cut chances.

I think that late equaliser knocked a lot of stuffing out of us, so, the Walsall game perhaps?

The Burton game we started off strongly, but the minute that first goal went in following Phillips' insane giveaway the match was lost. Our heads dropped and we looked a beaten side from that moment, so Burton perhaps?

Any one particular game you think, or just an erosion over a period of time?

Personally, if I were to pinpoint it to one game I would say Burton. As soon as we went 1-0 down it felt like we had been transported back to the Pressley and Thorn era where we looked clueless and beaten and with no answer.

The lack of fightback in that Burton game was a massive concern to me and then of course, in the last home game against Scunthorpe, it was truly boys against men.

What does everyone think? I am sure belief has formed a big part of what Walsall and Burton have done this season.

I look at differently Otis. I believe in the Lord and I truly believe He was answering many of our prayers. But if you had gone online before the Burton and Walsall games City fans were downright disrespectful. In all the time Leicester have been top they still showed humility. One of TMs greatest attributes is his humbleness and it's a shame our fans can't be likewise.

hutch1972

Wallsall for me , arma twists his way through the back 4 ,one on one with the keeper to make it 2-0 and he tips it around the post. Had we won that one confidence would have been sky high for Burton.
I would also add that had Ben Turner still been in our back 4 we would still be in the top 2 Imo.

Otis

You may be right.

Fine margins at times isn't it! I saw a bit of the Man City v Leicester game on Saturday and you look just how close that Zabaletta foul was to the penalty area. Probably one inch further and it would have been a pen and then it could have been a completely game.

If Armstrong had have bagged that second against Walsall, a draw would have been just fine against Burton and we could have been looking at a completely different table.

What we need to make sure we do though is to bounce back from these disappointments. Dust ourselves down and go again.

We need to do that on Saturday and once again become a force at the Ricoh.

Users who are viewing this thread