Bedwetters guide to Summer 2024 departures (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

Godden has 6 in the league, all bloody ages ago, as well as missing 2 pens. Surely no one is arguing he's more effective than Wright?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Since his brace at Cardiff away, there’s been 23 league games. He’s appeared in 20 games, starting about 14 with a return of 1 goal.

Godden has 0 assists too.

mrtrench

We're not in the PL you goon

I got the impression that we are building a side which would not need major surgery to have a chance of staying up if promoted. It's not a daft point to speculate that Wright wouldn't be up to it.

Mucca Mad Boys

I got the impression that we are building a side which would not need major surgery to have a chance of staying up if promoted. It's not a daft point to speculate that Wright wouldn't be up to it.
You don’t sign Premiership-ready quality players in the championship.

We’re improving incrementally, so buying players to develop. What good Prem strikers are signed for £10m?

Hertsccfc

It's not absolutely clear to me that any of our current players would be up to the Premier League but Wright would one of those who would be most likely in my view.

napolimp

If an 8 goal and 5 assist winger, over the number of matches Wright has played, couldn't step up to the Premier League, then none of our players could.

Obviously that could well be the truth.

Mucca Mad Boys

Oh god here we go again, one narrow defeat with 10 men and the summer recruitment is being dissected by the usual crowd.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

It never ages well either. You’d think people would learn.

Footballs fans do the ‘eye test’ whereas clubs have teams of data analysts that monitor performances.

Frustratingly, a lot of posters just cannot seem (or choose not to) to grasp the concept of continual improvement. We’re trying to build a squad capable of promotion and consolidation in the Prem… but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Last season was fluke - we should not have been a penalty shootout away from promotion!

Brighton Sky Blue

Footballs fans do the ‘eye test’ whereas clubs have teams of data analysts that monitor performances.

Frustratingly, a lot of posters just cannot seem (or choose not to) to grasp the concept of continual improvement. We’re trying to build a squad capable of promotion and consolidation in the Prem… but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Last season was fluke - we should not have been a penalty shootout away from promotion!
I would generally agree, but you don't fluke a league position over 46 games, and we deserved to beat Boro over the two legs after that. If that's a fluke then can we just write it off as bad luck that the 3 relegated sides are as strong as they are?

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Wright in. Simms out.

Hertsccfc

So every player we sign will be a massive success? What happened with Waghorn, Kane, Hillsner and Kastaneer?

TomRad85

The hit rate from our summer signings is pretty fucking good imo. Simms is the most disappointing but as I say its on the management to get more from him now. Only one I've basically given up on and would be keen to move on is Dasilva but I'd imagine that might be difficult with the contract we gave him.

Mucca Mad Boys

I would generally agree, but you don't fluke a league position over 46 games, and we deserved to beat Boro over the two legs after that. If that's a fluke then can we just write it off as bad luck that the 3 relegated sides are as strong as they are?

We deserved it, absolutely. Every team needs a bit of luck and we were lucky to keep Gyokeres and Hamer fully fit for the season. Otherwise, we’d have struggled.

We managed to ride the momentum we generated really well too! Perhaps my wording of fluke was harsh but, looking at the team outside of Hamer and Gyokeres, a lot of players were punching above their weight. Players like McFadz, Allen, Kelly, Wilson, Dabo.

Brighton Sky Blue

They say specsavers is good
evolution GIF

Mucca Mad Boys

So every player we sign will be a massive success? What happened with Waghorn, Kane, Hillsner and Kastaneer?

Of course not, every club has duds in the transfer market and we’re no different!

Of those players listed, only Waghorn and Kastaneer were signed to be key players from my understanding. Every squad we build will need role players.

We’re building a squad for the next few seasons and when people are judging after 7 months, it’s too early to call.

Hertsccfc

Of course not, every club has duds in the transfer market and we’re no different!

Of those players listed, only Waghorn and Kastaneer were signed to be key players from my understanding. Every squad we build will need role players.

We’re building a squad for the next few seasons and when people are judging after 7 months, it’s too early to call.
No but surely after 33 appearances it is legitimate to express a view on how well someone has played. Doesn't mean that can't change but it's a bit silly to say you can't express an opinion on a player until the end of their contract.

long way home

Big summer 4 or 5 in
1 Gk, 1 CB, 1 LB, 1 ACM, 1 FW.
Moore, Kelly, COH gone.
Howley, I Moore, K Andrews, Burroughs and Obiku will be involved in pre season to evaluate before deciding the pathway.

Decisions will be made on those will 1 year left on deals. Extend or look to move on, lots can happen between now and then. Im looking forward to seeing the signings..

AFCCOVENTRY

If we don’t go up I can see some big money being offered for Sheaf and potentially MVE. MVE I hope we keep for another season at least.

skybluecam

People in this thread saying Wright wouldn’t be up to the premier league 🤣

Can you buy a premier league player for £7.7m? No, they cost fucking £20m+

Grendel

We've been through this above. That includes cup games, others on here haven't included cup games, neither is wrong. Godden scored 2 at the end of a 6-2 drubbing against a poor Oxford side. That being said they were excellent finishes.

It includes recognised cup games. By that definition play off games would also not count

I calculate Wrights to be 18 over league games - the irony is it goes down if you include 90 minutes against a very poor Wimbledon side

Also if a player scores in the FA Cup against a full strength premier league side you’d say they don’t count?

Grendel

No one cares about cup games against weaker opposition. League games is the key stat anyone looks at

That’s odd so a hat trick against say Sheffield Weds wouldn’t count? Play off games wouldn’t count?

No goals against weaker opposition also wouldn’t count?

napolimp

It includes recognised cup games. By that definition play off games would also not count

I calculate Wrights to be 18 over league games - the irony is it goes down if you include 90 minutes against a very poor Wimbledon side

Also if a player scores in the FA Cup against a full strength premier league side you’d say they don’t count?

On this occasion I would not count FA Cup goals against a full strength premier league side, as I am looking solely at the league.

If I was looking at the stats with the inclusion of cup games, then I would say that goals against full strength premier league opponents would count.

Grendel

On this occasion I would not count FA Cup goals against a full strength premier league side, as I am looking solely at the league.

If I was looking at the stats with the inclusion of cup games, then I would say that goals against full strength premier league opponents would count.

I still can’t see Wright at 20

I calculate 18

O hare is 25 and Godden 14

There are huge flaws in the mpg argument

mrtrench

People in this thread saying Wright wouldn’t be up to the premier league 🤣

Can you buy a premier league player for £7.7m? No, they cost fucking £20m+

Nuance is important <serious but kind face emoji>

Nobody is suggesting we can buy a player ready for the Premier league. We are buying young players. Good young players who can improve. We are paying millions for each one now to play in the Championship (widely accepted as one of the top 10 leagues in the world).

If they are not intended to improve to Premiership level then where exactly?

We paid £1m for Vik and £1m for Gus. They improved to Premiership level. Sheaf, also £1m, now being rumoured to be wanted by top flight clubs. When COH leaves it will be for the same.

What is being said, by me at least, is that I don't see Wright improving to that level. You may disagree, which is a perfectly valid opinion. But don't try to make out that something quite different is being claimed <checkmate face emoji>

Users who are viewing this thread