Bedwetters guide to Summer 2024 departures (3 Viewers)

napolimp

‘Wright’s a great player’ is the definition of ‘delusional’.
He has shown some promise in a couple of games but has been generally very disappointing.

He's our top goal scorer this season.

He's our top assist taker this season.

He's played less minutes than many other players.

He would only not be great player if we don't have any great players. I believe he's a great player for us.

slowpoke

I’d rather let JDS go than Bidwell tbh.
We need a better left back and possibly CB I like both Thomas & Kitching but with McFadz gone we need another and atleast two strikers, to be honest I don’t see Wright or Simms being first choices next season.
Robins is signing players who he believes can step up and deliver in the PL, so it’s going to be a summer of rumour and speculation again.
Also another keeper maybe even two, Moore will be gone as could Wilson, you need three.

Marty

Wright looks good in flashes, but not near the quality or consistency you'd expect for nearly 9 mill. If the club thinks they can sell him, even for a loss to free up money for someone who can push us onto the next level then we should go for it.

Simms has all the attributes, but I can't see him ever scoring goals for us.

We need to get rid of JDS, poor defensively, short, so always done by high balls to the back post, and long balls over his head.

Allen, Moore, Kelly will all go for nothing.

I would like to bring in a first choice right sided CB, Kitching looks very good on the left, but Thomas is an average championship defender, has plenty of mistakes in him. We need 2 CB's anyway.

I'd bring in:
2xCB
1xLB
1xCM
1xWinger
2xStrikers

Boicey

Generally, looking back I think it was quite a mixed recruitment last summer. And we are going to have to live with some of those long contracts for another season or two.
Jds and Simms will probably be here for another season as squad players, then go at a loss.
Wright is a bit of enigma who I suspect frustrates Robins quite a lot. He’ll get enough time to show if he’s up to it in terms of all round contribution. EMC will be an interesting contrast.
We’ll need an AM, O’Hare replacement.
Not sure MR is that keen on Bidwell.
Cant see that many signings this summer and Doug won’t be flashing his cash.

Boicey

He's our top goal scorer this season.

He's our top assist taker this season.

He's played less minutes than many other players.

He would only not be great player if we don't have any great players. I believe he's a great player for us.
Delusional.

slowpoke

Generally, looking back I think it was quite a mixed recruitment last summer. And we are going to have to live with some of those long contracts for another season or two.
Jds and Simms will probably be here for another season as squad players, then go at a loss.
Wright is a bit of enigma who I suspect frustrates Robins quite a lot. He’ll get enough time to show if he’s up to it in terms of all round contribution. EMC will be an interesting contrast.
Well Doug has over 20 million cash in his war chest now plus more if Gyorkeres moves on top players ain’t cheap but a good recruitment team which we have can hopefully find anothe Sakamoto or Torp.

napolimp

Without making it seem like I'm attacking you, this is the problem with posters like yourself. You don't appear to understand how the club works or the overall approach. Wright was our all time record, and a marquee signing. He's going to be an integral part of the team whether you like it or not, and he will be lining up as first choice on the team sheet when fit.

Simms I agree with others, that he's not shown near enough or been the player he was supposed to be. But he simply won't be cast aside. Robins and the coaching team will do everything they can over the next 2 seasons to get what they need out of him, we're not a club who can afford to to spend and then just write players off. The fact we have some money at the moment, is a freak 1 in 1000 occurrence from owning 2 players who sold for wild sums.

Hertsccfc

Wright looks good in flashes, but not near the quality or consistency you'd expect for nearly 9 mill. If the club thinks they can sell him, even for a loss to free up money for someone who can push us onto the next level then we should go for it.

Simms has all the attributes, but I can't see him ever scoring goals for us.

We need to get rid of JDS, poor defensively, short, so always done by high balls to the back post, and long balls over his head.

Allen, Moore, Kelly will all go for nothing.

I would like to bring in a first choice right sided CB, Kitching looks very good on the left, but Thomas is an average championship defender, has plenty of mistakes in him. We need 2 CB's anyway.

I'd bring in:
2xCB
1xLB
1xCM
1xWinger
2xStrikers
What attributes has Simms got? You say he has the lot but tell me what does he have that Wright doesn't in much greater amounts?

Wright is faster, more skillful, scores more goals, makes more assists and more regularly gets into dangerous positions. Wright also appears to be a much better team player, as he has adapted to a different position.

Last edited:

Mucca Mad Boys

What attributes has Simms got? You say he has the lot but tell me what does he have that Wright doesn't in much greater amounts?

Wright is faster, more skillful, scores more goals, makes more assists and regularly gets into dangerous positions. Wright also appears to be a much better team player, as he has adapted to a different position.
It’s no coincidence that since we changed formation, our goals have come from out wide… Sakamoto and Wright did not look like scoring before playing as wide players.

Simms has a lot good attributes, he is strong, quick for his size and has some good movement in the box. His finishing is instinctual typical ‘poacher’ finishes. His highlights from Blackpool, Sunderland and Hearts show a player who likes to run into space and at defenders… we’ve not seen that from him yet.

Robins needs to stick with him for a good 5-10 games and if he doesn’t score, work with him tactically and coach the attributes we want from him. He’ll turn good as there are some good foundations there.

Tactically, as a team, we’re struggling to get anything to our centre forwards - Gooden looks placid too.

Marty

Wright is faster, more skillful, scores more goals, makes more assists and more regularly gets into dangerous positions. Wright also appears to be a much better team player, as he has adapted to a different position.

Agree that Wright is better, but Simms is big, strong, fairly quick, he has the attributes to do something in the game, but he controls a ball like he has trampolines on his feet, has a powerful shot but we've barely seen it. He won't score goals for us, so imo he needs to go.

hill83

Agree that Wright is better, but Simms is big, strong, fairly quick, he has the attributes to do something in the game, but he controls a ball like he has trampolines on his feet, has a powerful shot but we've barely seen it. He won't score goals for us, so imo he needs to go.

His first touch is more powerful than my best shot with a 100 metre run up

Grendel

NorthernWisdom

I was with you until the last sentence! I just don't see how a striker who did so well for Sunderland can constantly fire blanks for us... although he might of course. If he ended up in double figures that'd be... alright. And tbf if he caused more of a nuisance so others got goals, then that would do.

His touch does surprise me given his background in the game, I have to say. It's been truly shocking!

skybluecam

‘Wright’s a great player’ is the definition of ‘delusional’.
He has shown some promise in a couple of games but has been generally very disappointing.
Absolutely ridiculous opinion.

I assume Sakamoto has also been very disappointing?

Hertsccfc

Fair enough. We have seen the powerful shot a lot but the problem is that it has little direction. He needs coaching and to learn composure in front of goal. Generally accuracy is far more important as Sakamoto has shown regularly.

napolimp

For better or for worse that won't be Robins, or the clubs, view. I guarantee you he'll still be here at the end of next season.

Brighton Sky Blue

Why would Da Silva go? He’s got another 3 years on his deal - no one would want him on the terms he’s on.

Same for Palmer.

Godden has a year left on his best contract

Allen is a useful player in the squad

Can see very little movement at all
Palmer's contract is up in 2025 isn't it?

Grendel

Sorry, where's our record signing going? Because you appear to have replaced a guy with 8 goals, and 5 assists, in the equivalent of 20x 90 minute periods of Championship football, with a 24 year old who has never played a game above League 1.

By that logic godden will also score 20 in a full 90 minute period and o hare 30

Mucca Mad Boys

I seem to recall Gyokeres struggling to get into the team ahead of Biamou when he first joined us.

I’m sure many people wouldn’t have fancied signing him on the fee we did and no one would’ve called him being a top Championship striker either.

We’ve signed Simms to a 4 year contract and to write him off after 7 months is just not smart. He’ll improve and hopefully shows us what he can do.

He is a striker I feel you have to consciously involve in the game or he’ll lose concentration - he’s quite low energy.

Grendel

Why would Godden score 20 goals in 90 minutes? Do you ever have anything useful fo say?

You seem very emotional

You used mpg to make a dig at a poster who doesn’t believe Wright is good enough and said he’d score 20 in a season if he played a full 90 minutes over a season.

So would godden and o hare would get 30

Grendel

So we should keep godden and Wright and we will get 40 goals next season between them if they play every game

napolimp

You seem very emotional

You used mpg to make a dig at a poster who doesn’t believe Wright is good enough and said he’d score 20 in a season if he played a full 90 minutes over a season.

So would godden and o hare would get 30

O'hare has been excellent since coming back from injury, the way he's been playing (and within this set-up), I believe he could get 20+ goals over a full season.

Godden has had multiple Championship seasons and never got near 20 goals. I guess we'll never know as he doesn't get close to playing a full season without injury problems.

slowpoke

Bottom line for me Wright has no bottle, I don’t think he’ll get a kick in the PL which is much tougher physically I hope he proves me wrong.

mrtrench

Without making it seem like I'm attacking you, this is the problem with posters like yourself. You don't appear to understand how the club works or the overall approach. Wright was our all time record, and a marquee signing. He's going to be an integral part of the team whether you like it or not, and he will be lining up as first choice on the team sheet when fit.

That's the spent cost fallacy. I hope Robins is better than that: ie fields the best player irrespective of what they cost. It's fine to make a mistake, I admire the strength of character to recognise a mistake and put it right.

Let's agree that we both hope he proves me wrong. But I've reached the point where I believe if we can get our money back we can get better for the money. You either believe it's worth waiting longer or that his performances so far are the best we will get for £9m, genuinely not sure which but opinions differ and I'm fine with whichever despite disagreeing on both.

If performances change my opinion will change.

MikeyMoo

What did Wright ever do for us? Aside from the goal, assists, interlink play, hold up play, passing and fast break out play, what has he ever, really, done for us?

Users who are viewing this thread