Be honest (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

Have you perfected the roast potato..

I thought I had until I tried my dad's, they were actually insane... He says the trick is to allow them to go cold for around 1 hour before adding them to scolding oil..

Tried it mine were shit
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: vow

Otis

Yes.

Normal cooking temperature at first, But then blitz them on full power and constantly turn them, again and again, like every 5 mins

fernandopartridge

Have you perfected the roast potato..

I thought I had until I tried my dad's, they were actually insane... He says the trick is to allow them to go cold for around 1 hour before adding them to scolding oil..

Tried it mine were shit
giphy.gif

Yeah, have tried that steam drying them. You need to shake the colander as well to rough the edges up.

Tommo1993

Mrs once made what she calls ‘marmite roast potatoes’. Puts the muck in the oil. You couldn’t really tell with the taste, but it’s a very malicious act. I was displeased.

Ian1779

I’d like to say yes, but some of these methods sound like they’d be great too.

part boil for 5 mins max, drain and then rough up the edges in a colander or the pan itself. Put into boiling oil I use rapeseed mostly. Then ensure they are turned regularly.

Really liked it when I make them using dripping or lard, but have to make sure you get the excess fat off them as soon as you take them out of the oven for good.

Sick Boy

Never had a better one than my ma’s, my missus coats them in breadcrumbs and they’re actually decent, for her ;)
I’m actually decent at cooking but have never been able to perfect them.

skybluetony176

it is indeed quite common in Ireland. They know their spuds over here, that’s for sure(y)
Not always. I remember the chippy that used to be in the little town my family is from and they used to shallow fry the chips in butter. Proper rank and definitely not chips. Not sue what that was about, it’s a Chinese takeaway now and a damn good one.

Mr Panda

Perfect roast potato for me is when the inside is almost like mash. For that reason I'll boil for a couple minutes longer than usual, say 7 minutes.

Give them a good 50 minutes in the oven before gently squashing them with a potato masher so that they lose structure inside but maintain a crispy coat on the outside, hard to explain.

Throw some sprigs of rosemary from the garden and a few garlic segments in for taste.

Evo1883

Perfect roast potato for me is when the inside is almost like mash. For that reason I'll boil for a couple minutes longer than usual, say 7 minutes.

Give them a good 50 minutes in the oven before gently squashing them with a potato masher so that they lose structure inside but maintain a crispy coat on the outside, hard to explain.

Throw some sprigs of rosemary from the garden and a few garlic segments in for taste.

This is like my dad's

skyblueinBaku

That's how I do mine. Crispy and luvverly. BUT, you have to use the right sort of spud! Maris Pipers are the best for roasties! Oh, and use goose fat if possible!
I use goose fat, too. Maris Piper are great, but the best tasting roasties that I ever made were with Blue Danube spuds. However, you have to be very careful when part boiling them. They will turn to mush very quickly. I use a pressure cooker - 5 minutes for Maris Piper or King Edwards, but only about 30 seconds for Blue Danube.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Par boil them whilst they are cooking have a roasting tin with oil in the oven at about 220f prepare a bowl of flour salt and cracked black pepper . Drain the spuds lightly brush them all in oil and roll them in the flour and pepper then transfer them into the oven for about 40 mins turn them after 20 mins

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Read this earlier and got me wanting some for dinner.

Just had them and really enjoyed them, though I'm not claiming they're great or that they'd even be good enough to offer to others. I've got the least discerning tastebuds in the world and addicted to fast food crap.

But the insides were nice and soft, outside was ok butcould've been a bit crispier (ran out of patience waiting for them) and tasted nice as I cooked them in the fat from the drip tray of the George Foreman and a bit of salt and pepper.

stay_up_skyblues

I usually par boil for 8-10 mins, toss them to rough up the edges and then drop them in smoking hot goose fat. Season with garlic, mixed herbs and cracked black pepper. Roast for 45 mins turning regularly. Works every time.

Have very recently started pouring meat juice over the them just as they go in to roast. Noice.

bringbackrattles

All potatoes are great. Chips,roast spuds, mash,boiled, baked, even crisps are tasty. I'm a bit addicted to them and could eat a plate full of any type of potatoes every day.As kids we used to " take" them from the allotment and scrape the dirt off and eat them raw. No wonder we had so much energy !

Terry_dactyl

All potatoes are great. Chips,roast spuds, mash,boiled, baked, even crisps are tasty. I'm a bit addicted to them and could eat a plate full of any type of potatoes every day.As kids we used to " take" them from the allotment and scrape the dirt off and eat them raw. No wonder we had so much energy !
Christ!! Were you born in medieval times?!

Brighton Sky Blue

I usually par boil for 8-10 mins, toss them to rough up the edges and then drop them in smoking hot goose fat. Season with garlic, mixed herbs and cracked black pepper. Roast for 45 mins turning regularly. Works every time.

Have very recently started pouring meat juice over the them just as they go in to roast. Noice.

I don’t know if you’re eating them or pleasuring yourself

Sky_Blue_Daz

My dads favourite dinner is 6 boiled spuds with 3 raw eggs poured over the top then a generous amount of pepper

Users who are viewing this thread