Be careful what you wish for... (1 Viewer)

justvisiting

As you're still in the "being owned by uncaring moneygrubbers" phase I thought I'd sling in an update about post-Bates Leeds United. Bit of light relief for you, maybe.

We've been recently bought by the former owner of Cagliari, Massimo Cellino. An undoubted football man with decent finances, he also has fraud convictions and moved Cagliari to Trieste to play their home games after a row with the council. By way of comparison, Trieste's not much closer to Cagliari than Northampton is. His first priority, he said, was buying back the ground and training complex. What he actually did was not buy the ground and closed the training complex over the summer, along with making a load of staff redundant. Rumours are we're losing £1million a month from somewhere, but how is not precisely known. Now we've just named Dave Hockaday as our new head coach because our new owner likes to buy players and pick teams and doesn't want someone with their own ideas chipping in. Dave Hockaday's only previous managerial role was an unsuccessful stint in charge of Forest Green. We are effectively a particularly expensive game of Football Manager to our new owner.

I'm not saying this is worse than being owned by SISU, but being bought out by a rich guy who really wants to run a successful football club's not necessarily brilliant either.

RFC

As you're still in the "being owned by uncaring moneygrubbers" phase I thought I'd sling in an update about post-Bates Leeds United. Bit of light relief for you, maybe.

We've been recently bought by the former owner of Cagliari, Massimo Cellino. An undoubted football man with decent finances, he also has fraud convictions and moved Cagliari to Trieste to play their home games after a row with the council. By way of comparison, Trieste's not much closer to Cagliari than Northampton is. His first priority, he said, was buying back the ground and training complex. What he actually did was not buy the ground and closed the training complex over the summer, along with making a load of staff redundant. Rumours are we're losing £1million a month from somewhere, but how is not precisely known. Now we've just named Dave Hockaday as our new head coach because our new owner likes to buy players and pick teams and doesn't want someone with their own ideas chipping in. Dave Hockaday's only previous managerial role was an unsuccessful stint in charge of Forest Green. We are effectively a particularly expensive game of Football Manager to our new owner.

I'm not saying this is worse than being owned by SISU, but being bought out by a rich guy who really wants to run a successful football club's not necessarily brilliant either.

In total and utter agreement, sometimes better the devil you know than to be let down by the incoming messiah!

sky blue john

In total and utter agreement, sometimes better the devil you know than to be let down by the incoming messiah!

F... off RFC !!
Leeds have been unlucky to have been dealt two shit hands.
You would have us stick with Sisu based on this scenario ??

SuperCov

I'm pretty sure someone reminded us on here that maybe we needed ' hard nosed businessmen' to takeover back in the day. Not so sure now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

torchomatic

So have we. Richardson and SISU.

F... off RFC !!

justvisiting

F... off RFC !!

Actually, 5 shit hands if you count Ridsdale, post-Ridsdale consortium who sold all the assets, Bates, Dubai finance house who seem to have created the £1million/month situation and now Cellino. That's a full 12 years of incompetence and/or crookery. Hope you lot fare a bit better.

Kingokings204

On the plus side, Elland Road will be a nice away day for you if you don't get relegated this season!

Sorry mate I appreciate the message in our fansite but at least you play in leeds at your home. That's all I have ever wanted. Don't care what division as such but care about playing in Coventry. So thanks but not appropriate here. Though I do understand your club is in a downward spiral and relegation looms.

torchomatic

You've always wanted to play in Leeds?! And a Richardson fan. Well, I never.

Love the last line. Another Mystic Meg in the fold.

Sorry mate I appreciate the message in our fansite but at least you play in leeds at your home. That's all I have ever wanted.

skybluetony176

On the plus side, Elland Road will be a nice away day for you if you don't get relegated this season!

what makes you think we're staying up next season too. :whistle:

like us, you've had it shitty for a good few years now. Risdale to you is what Richardson is to us and they both left the door open (with the assistance of the FL and FA) to the owners we ended up with.

any chance you could push this amongst your fellow Leeds fans http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59884

Last edited:

ccfcway

I opened this up thinking it was going to be about Doncester and their takeover.

Really should have been us. If ever there was a club going in "One Direction"

Grendel

You really are a WUM. Personally I love it. Carry on MR SISU

The Leeds guy made an error here. He assumed this was a football fans forum. He should have said he loves Leeds council and wished ACL owned eland road. Would have been the toast of SBT then.

Astute

The Leeds guy made an error here. He assumed this was a football fans forum. He should have said he loves Leeds council and wished ACL owned eland road. Would have been the toast of SBT then.

He would have been better off saying good things and sticking up for their shit owners. You could have been best buddies then.

justvisiting

what makes you think we're staying up next season too. :whistle:

like us, you've had it shitty for a good few years now. Risdale to you is what Richardson is to us and they both left the door open (with the assistance of the FL and FA) to the owners we ended up with.

any chance you could push this amongst your fellow Leeds fans http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59884

Think you will stay up although I can see why you might be worried. I genuinely don't know where we'll finish, or even whether we'll end up with a team composed solely of Cellino family members. I'll bet a very real £100 that our new head coach won't be at the club this time next year.

Will sign the petition, not because I think it'll do any good but because if no one does anything then the guilty parties all shrug at the end and say "well, you should have said something" as they bugger off to the Cayman Islands on the yacht you just bought them. Hopefully, maybe overly optimistically, one day the collective outrage of football fans will get too large to ignore.

Hobo

Modern football owners may have large bank balances but they come with huge egos

duffer

I've got to say I'm sorry to hear of a club with the history and tradition of Leeds being dicked about by an owner who is clearly not fit and proper. What this shows, again, is that the FL and FA have their heads up their arses (imho).

I hope that you get shot of this owner ASAP - it's staggering to me that the authorities allow this to happen. Good luck.

kg82

I've got to say I'm sorry to hear of a club with the history and tradition of Leeds being dicked about by an owner who is clearly not fit and proper. What this shows, again, is that the FL and FA have their heads up their arses (imho).

I hope that you get shot of this owner ASAP - it's staggering to me that the authorities allow this to happen. Good luck.

Exactly this. Totally ridiculous situations instigated by the total incompetence of the FA and FL. It's like they want teams to fail and fold.

mrbluesky87

Agree 100%, this is becoming more of an issue to be directed at the FL as opposed to anybody else. Its clear their test is not fit or is it proper. How many more teams are to be shafted by their owners (Coventry, Leeds, Cardiff etc) before something is done.

Whatever happened to local owners wanting to invest in their local teams?

turlykerd

its another "you wouldn't believe it until you see it" situation .everybody can see the harm this guy is doing but the FL just sits by .

Hobo

Agree 100%, this is becoming more of an issue to be directed at the FL as opposed to anybody else. Its clear their test is not fit or is it proper. How many more teams are to be shafted by their owners (Coventry, Leeds, Cardiff etc) before something is done.

Yeah whatever happened to local businessmen and local industry? You don't even know who owns who anymore.

justvisiting

Well the FL did try in that they failed his "fit and proper" test on the grounds that he was actually being prosecuted for tax evasion at the time but it was overturned on appeal (the "fit and proper" test, that is, not the tax evasion of which he was found guilty). At the time, the then owners (who were nevertheless much better than Bates) were so hated that this was looked on by some fans as more anti-Leeds FA/FL bias.

Sad to say the list of recent owners are so unpleasant that our new megalomaniac meddler still has broad support. I'm provisionally on his side on the basis that, knowing our luck, if he goes we'll probably be bought out by Piers Morgan or Simon Cowell.

skybluetony176

Will sign the petition, not because I think it'll do any good but because if no one does anything then the guilty parties all shrug at the end and say "well, you should have said something" as they bugger off to the Cayman Islands on the yacht you just bought them. Hopefully, maybe overly optimistically, one day the collective outrage of football fans will get too large to ignore.

Well said that man.

shmmeee

To be fair, if I was rich enough to own and run City, I'd treat it like my own personal game of FM too. Though I wouldn't move us to Northampton (maybe Italy).

Block19

Sad to see any club bring messed around by incompetent owners.

The football league should ensure that the fans get a say in how the club is run by getting at least a supporter with business knowledge on the board or to least attend meeting so they can relay facts back to the supporters.

I think the most frustrating thing is to see the club you support and have invested financial and emotionally in bring run into the ground and you can't do a thing about it as you do not have the resources.

Good luck to Leeds and hopefully one day Leeds v coventry wil be a premier league fixture or an fa cup semi final!!'

Users who are viewing this thread