BBC programmes on Youtube (1 Viewer)

Otis

Anyone know if I can upload part of a BBC programme on to Youtube?

Not sure about copyright issues here and whether it can only uploaded after a certain time. There are obviously BBC progs on there, cos I can see them.

Wanted to put part of the England Sweden game up on Youtube. Just had a quick look and I was expecting to see a few uploads of the game on there, but there was nothing. Only some foreign channel coverage. Nowt that was BBC coverage. This made me wonder if I was allowed to do it.

What I am wanting to do is to film the match from a recording on my Tivo box of the game and then to stick some of that footage into a film I am making, and to make out it is as if characters are watching the game live.

Been searching on Google to see if I am allowed to upload BBC stuff on Youtube to find out about infringements but am not getting anywhere.

Marty

No you're not allowed, the copyright for something like that would be with fifa not BBC, as far as i'm aware you are allowed to upload content from the BBC though.

Otis

Bugger.

Just have to work my way round it. Maybe if I show snippets that are so short you can't tell it's the BBC. Could also sneakily use ITV pundits footage with the BBC England v Sweden footage.

Is it the same for ITV do you know?

Marty

Same issue, it doesn't matter if you use BBC, ITV or sky sports. Fifa own the copyright to the pictures and will file a case for removal of the video.

mirroring the video is quite popular and tend to stay up for a lot longer then they normally would.

Otis

Cheers Marty.

Have just rang the Beeb and left a message looking for clarification. I don't want to use any footage of the actual play within the game itself, just maybe some close ups of players, the lining up for the national anthems and then the players and crowd reactions to goals being scored. There would be no footage of the actual play on the field.

Basically the main perspective would be projected from the tv focusing on the characters reacting to what was going on, on the pitch rather than the action itself, if that makes sense.

Desperately want to do it. Desperately don't want to see it being taken down after I have done it.

Cheers for the advice. Will let you know if and when the Beeb get back to me.

Otis

Hmmm, not looking good.

BBC basically saying you can't use anything at all of theirs, full stop. Not even the audio.

Bit daft that because anything they have shown has been aired freely and I only want to show that there is a match, a bit of the crowd and maybe one or two players' faces and that's it. Nothing else at all. It would be just a few seconds of footage and none of the actual game. The lady I spoke to said that football is even more restrictive than anything else because of ownership of sports bodies etc.

Still intend to do it. Anyone know how I can get really, really creative? I see some foreign footage up on Youtube with a foreign logos and foreign commentators. Wonder if I could use any of that?

Otis

Anyone know if I could use any game console footage? From a distance it looks quite realistic and I'd only once again only use a few seconds.

Just gauging by what's actually up on Youtube. Can hardly see any actual original game footage of anything on there but there's load of people posting game console footage of matches.

dutchman

Hmmm, not looking good.

BBC basically saying you can't use anything at all of theirs, full stop. Not even the audio.

The BBC has legally binding payment agreements in place with various companies and union members for everything they broadcast so can't grant permission themselves. On the other hand they are very unlikely to take action if you do use their material without permission.

My advice is don't ask, don't tell.

Otis

My reply is, too late, already asked. :D

Going to be really inventive here. Found footage of England v Sweden at Wembley in the friendly last year (that is just the players coming out and the national anthems). Then going to use CPU footage for the game (hard to tell from a distance that it's not real) and then use offal footage from Euro 12 of the crowd.

Think I may just about get away with it.

Well, my 'friend' might. It's obviously not for me, it's for a friend. I will tell this 'friend' my findings then on his head be it. I would never ever infringe any copyright.

My friend on the other hand ........

Brighton Sky Blue

Bugger.

Just have to work my way round it. Maybe if I show snippets that are so short you can't tell it's the BBC. Could also sneakily use ITV pundits footage with the BBC England v Sweden footage.

Is it the same for ITV do you know?

A common trick YouTube people use to bypass copyright issues is simply to flip the frames 180 degrees.

Otis

The other thing I can do is to zoom in on the footage. Well, my friend can anyway.

I have the game recorded on my Tivo box and was going to play that back and record that footage from the Tivo box with my camcorder. I could then zoom in to take out the logo while I am recording. Will try that maybe. Well, my friend will.

Otis

My friend is a genius.

He has played back the England Sweden game on the tv and recorded the displayed tv image directly on to his camcorder, but he used a zoomed in shot and no logos can be seen.

He obviously didn't use the Beeb footage at all of course and in the end got the footage directly from Fifa after asking his Uncle Sepp for a small favour.

Jobs a good un.

Thanks for everyone's advice. My friend is very grateful.

Users who are viewing this thread