BBC 5 Best FA Cup headed goals (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

3 set plays...just get in front of your man and head goalwards. 1 fell to guy from slight touch...cross not aimed at player who scored.
Final one...pass out to wing, make space for cross, bend round full back. Attacking player launches self and powers ball into bottom corner. I know we might all be biased on here BUT seriously there is only one header there that can be described as memorable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmyhillsfanclub

3 set plays...just get in front of your man and head goalwards. 1 fell to guy from slight touch...cross not aimed at player who scored.
Final one...pass out to wing, make space for cross, bend round full back. Attacking player launches self a powers ball into bottom corner. I know we might all be biased on here BUT seriously there is only one header there that can be described as memorable

True from a football perspective......but they are all "memorable" due to the nature of the opposition & the cup occasion itself.....

....as an aside...I've probably watched that Houchen header well over 1000 times (no exaggeration.....I've just watched it 3 more now).....and it always....ALWAYS makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck....

lifeskyblue

Yes absolutely...at the time I just couldn't believe Houchin had got to it. The more you watch it the more you realise how bennets touch to get it round the full back was masterful.
I hear what you say re the other goals being memorable for other reasons (opposition, to win the cup etc) but only houchins could live in a top 10 headed goals of all time

wingy

I'll tell you what, the beeb haven't got a clue.
1981 Cup final, the other Sky Blues and the oldest man on the pitch.
Great headed goal for the one and only Tommy Hutchison.
I hate to be a heretic but it's up there and possibly just a tad better the Houch's, purely on distance from goal of course.
Sorry can't post link but if anyone cares to add it from youtube, you can either concur or castigate my view. :pimp:

jimmyhillsfanclub

;)[video=youtube;6MKSGww-FVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MKSGww-FVc[/video]

Here you go wingy.....

Its possibly a better header, but the builds up isn't as clinical or classy IMHO.....

...besides....you lose points for calling the mancs "sky blues".....tut tut tut;)

PS: His effort at the other ends was better than Mabbutts :)

Last edited:

wingy

;)[video=youtube;6MKSGww-FVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MKSGww-FVc[/video]

Here you go wingy.....

Its possibly a better header, but the builds up isn't as clinical or classy IMHO.....

...besides....you lose points for calling the mancs "sky blues".....tut tut tut;)

PS: His effort at the other ends was better than Mabbutts :)
True that was a tragedy for him.
The only other headed goal I recall from the Hutch was V Liverpool in that Classic Anfield cup game around 77-78.
Would have meant winning the game but was chalked off.

Speedies_Chips

One things that strikes me when watching the various clips is that the Wembley stadium of today isn't a patch on the original.

The current one looks plastic.

stevefloyd

True from a football perspective......but they are all "memorable" due to the nature of the opposition & the cup occasion itself.....

....as an aside...I've probably watched that Houchen header well over 1000 times (no exaggeration.....I've just watched it 3 more now).....and it always....ALWAYS makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck....
Made the hair stand up on the back of my neck just reading that and remembering... poor dog but i poured some beer over his back to celebrate when it went in

Irish Sky Blue

Two old Sky Blues other than Hutch in those clips. Brian Lewis, part of the promotion team in 66-67, takes the free kick for Crawford of Colchester to score against Leeds and Dave Bennett is involved in the build up for Tommy's header at the right end.

Moff

I will never ever tire of seeing Houchens goal....'The man with the midas touch in the FA Cup' :D

wingy

Two old Sky Blues other than Hutch in those clips. Brian Lewis, part of the promotion team in 66-67, takes the free kick for Crawford of Colchester to score against Leeds and Dave Bennett is involved in the build up for Tommy's header at the right end.
Good spot there ISB, that was a sweet ball in by Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread