Bayliss (1 Viewer)

Saddlebrains

I know we all get pissed off with ex player threads. So il keep it simple.

What the fucks happened?

Tried asking the question on twitter to PNE fans but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse shit

cc84cov

What the fucks happened?

Tried asking the question on twitter to PNE fans but they seem to be as rare as rocking horse shit
He was massively over rated is what’s happened and doesn’t seem to be at the level

pusbccfc

Was never as good as what people thought. He looked great in League 2. Looked alright in League 1.

There's no doubt there is some quality there but some people were comparing him to Maddison.

Bugsy

What the fucks happened?

Shipley is better 🤣

Edit: Thinking about it has Bayliss ever scored in the champ

Last edited:

Frostie

He played last night as a sub.

Alex Neil said:

"Tom was a bit unfortunate last year because there was a game he was going to start in and he did he ankle literally on the Wednesday, before the game on the Saturday.

"And the difficulty I've had with Tom, is probably where he plays at the moment - the midfield's arguably our strongest area and it's difficult to get ahead of the likes of DJ, Ben, Alan, Ryan.

"I think if Tom played in another position, he would've certainly featured a lot more heavily than what he has done up until this point.

"He's still a young lad but equally he wants to play and is as determined as anyone else - we brought him on against Watford and hopefully he gets more minutes coming up."

87 n all that

He’s barely played in 1.5 years and ideally should have stuck with us for a further year to make an impact in league one. I’d rather have someone else. So many players leave us early for the money (Sambou and Thomas spring to mind) and I’m sure it massively improves their bank balance but those extra 40-60 games they could have played for us would leave them in better stead as players moving forward. Can’t blame them I suppose. Allegedly they were both on 3k a week (could be wrong) as u23 players for Prem clubs.

Brighton Sky Blue

He’s barely played in 1.5 years and ideally should have stuck with us for a further year to make an impact in league one. I’d rather have someone else. So many players leave us early for the money (Sambou and Thomas spring to mind) and I’m sure it massively improves their bank balance but those extra 40-60 games they could have played for us would leave them in better stead as players moving forward. Can’t blame them I suppose. Allegedly they were both on 3k a week (could be wrong) as u23 players for Prem clubs.

I’m not saying sign him, it’s not a priority position for us, but it would’ve been interesting to have seen his progression

SlowerThanPlatt

The club received an offer and thought it was acceptable. Others you mentioned turned down contract offers, that’s not the same.

We are a selling club and need these players to move on

87 n all that

The club received an offer and thought it was acceptable. Others you mentioned turned down contract offers, that’s not the same.
True, but I wouldn’t want him back. Just made the point it would be interesting to see how they’d developed if they’d stayed. I’m not a fan of bringing ex-players back although McCallum has done ok with us since moving to Norwich.
Also admittedly, Bayliss was sold as part of the fact we had no ground and we’re moving to Brum and needed to cover running costs.

Brighton Sky Blue

True, but I wouldn’t want him back. Just made the point it would be interesting to see how they’d developed if they’d stayed. I’m not a fan of bringing ex-players back although McCallum has done ok with us since moving to Norwich.
Also admittedly, Bayliss was sold as part of the fact we had no ground and we’re moving to Brum and needed to cover running costs.

To be honest I’ve been very impressed at our ability to replace players like that, first with Walsh and then Hamer

87 n all that

It’s why as shit as it will be when Hamer goes I trust us to have been scouting for a while to line up a similar replacement. Hopefully we survive in this league and get a handsome fee.
I’d go with that. He’s one of the few players who has stood out after his early season rash decisions. His passing and dead ball ability is quality and so have all his goals. We need an AM (no 10) or attacker playing off the striker of decent quality then we will be ok. I’m hoping Viveash has some links.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’d go with that. He’s one of the few players who has stood out after his early season rash decisions. His passing and dead ball ability is quality and so have all his goals. We need an AM (no 10) or attacker playing off the striker of decent quality then we will be ok. I’m hoping Viveash has some links.

I think there’s times he clearly has the vision but can’t quite execute it, other times he pulls it off but his teammates aren’t quite on the same wavelength.

Brighton Sky Blue

Stay up this season and have a 5 year plan to keep improving to make the play offs. So many teams in the champ are mainstays or teams like Rotherham and Norwich who yo-yo. Toughest league to get out of.

Just need to keep bringing in big fees to fund the arrival of better players who can be sold for even bigger fees and so on. We go down and Hamer’s price halves

87 n all that

Just need to keep bringing in big fees to fund the arrival of better players who can be sold for even bigger fees and so on. We go down and Hamer’s price halves
That’s why finishing 4th from bottom should be our target and anything further up the table is a bonus. Survive this season I think we’ll be ok. Look at Luton and Barnsley.

Brighton Sky Blue

That’s why finishing 4th from bottom should be our target and anything further up the table is a bonus. Survive this season I think we’ll be ok. Look at Luton and Barnsley.

That is a point neither have seemed in anywhere near as much danger.

87 n all that

They were last season. Barnsley stayed up because Wigan had 12 points deducted and Conor Chaplin did the flossing dance to celebrate.

CJ_covblaze

To be fair to Sambou he’s playing regularly in the Danish top flight. Randers doesn’t look like a bad place to live too.

87 n all that

Look at Bigi now. Playing for Glentoran. Other than his checkstrade final goal he’s achieved nothing as a footballer but no doubt on paper is a millionaire. Lucky bastard

block16

I'd have Bayliss back in a heartbeat but I genuinely believe our scouting network would have someone superior lined up. I think January may see arrival of another attack minded mindfielder/winger to either replace or give competition to shipley

Brighton Sky Blue

I'd have Bayliss back in a heartbeat but I genuinely believe our scouting network would have someone superior lined up. I think January may see arrival of another attack minded mindfielder/winger to either replace or give competition to shipley

It’s just a massive shame Jodi was injured long term when it seemed he would have at least offered competition

johnwillomagic

We did very well with the fee we got for Bayiss as we did for George Thomas & Bigi despite the meltdowns that happened with all three at the time! :rolleyes:

If Bayliss became available on a free with low wages would consider it but not otherwise - as he is now used to paypacket he has got at Preston doubt he would be willing to go for those terms so I think it's a non-starter for me.

NorthernWisdom

I never quite understand why we think players like George Thomas, who had nothing but a half season of form in League 2, would be superstars if they stayed with us.

Maybe he's maximised his earnings while he hit his peak form, and ends up at a Championship club on a bigger salary than if he stayed with us. Maybe he'd have dropped like a stone if with us, and would be reserve at Solihull Moors.

87 n all that

I never quite understand why we think players like George Thomas, who had nothing but a half season of form in League 2, would be superstars if they stayed with us.

Maybe he's maximised his earnings while he hit his peak form, and ends up at a Championship club on a bigger salary than if he stayed with us. Maybe he'd have dropped like a stone if with us, and would be reserve at Solihull Moors.
Maybe, all true possibilities. He’s currently at QPR so it hasn’t worked out too bad. How he’s managed that I don’t know.

Users who are viewing this thread