Barnsley Tonight (1 Viewer)

Paddy9239

That was seriously poor tonight. Didn't create anything until Nouble came on.

Appreciate the conditions were appalling and they didn't create anything either from set pieces but we were dreadful tonight.

Also, a Reading scout was sitting 5/10 seats down from me (with a coat on, and taking notes when Samuel had been involved) looks like they're looking to recall him, or are certainly keeping a close eye.

Really poor tonight, Barton, Samuel & Martin. Also Lee Burge scares the life out of me.

Only positives, Stokes, Pennington & Phillips.

Mowbray has a big job on, if he means what he says about entertaining passing football, completely absence tonight.

Onwards and upwards, hopefully a decent gate Saturday.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Its not uncommon for a parent club to keep tabs on players they've loaned out so I personally wouldn't read too much into the Reading scout. He probably wasn't impressed from Samuel tonight as he was offside every 2 minutes anyway.

no_loyalty

Was Blair Turgott any good when he came on?

Paddy9239

Looked okay yeah, Prochwitz was awful though. Tudguy has impressed me recently, don't think we need this big German who can't win a header.

Paddy9239

Its not uncommon for a parent club to keep tabs on players they've loaned out so I personally wouldn't read too much into the Reading scout. He probably wasn't impressed from Samuel tonight as he was offside every 2 minutes anyway.

I know, but got me thinking, particularly with the poll in their local rag today.

no_loyalty

Looked okay yeah, Prochwitz was awful though. Tudguy has impressed me recently, don't think we need this big German who can't win a header.

We can't really judge Prochwitz until we start to play our free flowing attacking football

Otis

Appreciate the conditions were appalling and they didn't create anything either from set pieces but we were dreadful tonight.

Also, a Reading scout was sitting 5/10 seats down from me (with a coat on, and taking notes when Samuel had been involved) looks like they're looking to recall him, or are certainly keeping a close eye.

Really poor tonight, Barton, Samuel & Martin. Also Lee Burge scares the life out of me.

Mowbray has a big job on, if he means what he says about entertaining passing football, completely absence tonight.

We weren't great on Saturday either, let's be truthful.

Real backs to wall clinging on effort with not even a single shot second half. Let's not let that win get in the way of our knowing we are in a poor state at the moment.

CJ_covblaze

Awful game. We didn't wake up until the 85th minute. Until that point we looked very blunt up top. Samuel tried his best but was offside more than not. That's not just be down to him. I'd say the ball isn't given to him early enough.

Turgott looked like he could make an impact if he has a bit longer to make it.

Last edited:

SkyBlue_Bear83

Real backs to wall clinging on effort with not even a single shot second half. Let's not let that win get in the way of our knowing we are in a poor state at the moment.
Didn't see tonights game but the reports suggest only to reinforce what I thought after the MK match that the players don't seem fit enough. They seem to be gone after 60 minutes .

mark82

Was Blair Turgott any good when he came on?

Yes. Looks like he could make an impact at this level. One of the few positives from tonight along with Nouble & Pennington. Stokes also did ok, and thought Barton, despite not having his best night, looked massively improved from earlier in the season.

On the whole, a massive step back from what I saw in Sheffield last week.

fernandopartridge

Poor tonight. Mowbray has got a task on his hands. Too many players just have no impact. Barton and Fleck being the main ones. We desperately need a box to box midfielder who can carry the ball forward.

Steve.B50

I got got into a conversation with the Reading scout ( looked like an ex boxer) he asked what I thought of Samules. He also commented on Prochwitz, asked why on earth had we signed him? Said he had seen him a few times and is just not good enough.
as for Samules he said he had just been keeping an eye on him, they have no intention of letting him go.

skybluekelly98

With our cm looking like it needs a new signing, how about playing nouble in cm? Has the pace and is our best dribbler, just a thought. If not odelusi or Williams, do not rate fleck at all.

higgs

If only we could Bring back arron gunnarson he would make some difference to us box to box player

CJ_covblaze

With our cm looking like it needs a new signing, how about playing nouble in cm? Has the pace and is our best dribbler, just a thought. If not odelusi or Williams, do not rate fleck at all.

What would we have to lose by trying it?

Well, that was grim. Freezing cold and ice age football to match. First half was honours even, second we lost the midfield - just for a change - and as a result lost a very winnable game. Pretty much agree with the OP, but for what it's worth...

Burge 5: blameless for the goal, but doesn't inspire confidence in anyone, hence the mix-ups with defenders. Has learnt the Schmeichel strategy of charging out to berate the back four when things go wrong. Wish he'd been so keen to leave his line to get the ball.

Philips 6: did his job; tried to overlap, didn't work, though we rarely had the ball long enough to play him in.

Stokes 6: ditto. He looked up to this level, and wasn't caught out of position as often as some our of FBs

Pennington 6: looks so much more convincing as CB than RB

Martin 4: he's a carthorse. Surely we should have known that from the first time round?

Barton 4: pings crisp passes round the centre circle for a bit, then loses it, or plays it to someone else who does. Pseudo-creative.

Fleck 5: the least bad of our identikit midfield lightweights in that he tries to drive forward with the ball and even finds a team-mate with a forward pass very occasionally. Could look much better with a proper ball-winner alongside (or v. 10 men, as at Bramall Lane).

JOB 3: drives me nuts. Plays like he's in a U-9s game where they all follow the ball, leaving his defenders to guess whether he might cover or not. Tries to buy cheap free-kicks all the time, and gives so many silly ones away, as per the goal. Pseudo-leader; should be the first one TB takes behind the bike sheds for a friendly chat.

Odelusi 3: not a man for a relegation scrap on tonight's evidence; the odd creative moment, but ducked out a couple of times too

Samuel 3: piss-poor tonight, sadly. Can't hold the ball up, and has so much pace that there's no excuse or logic for being caught offside so often, especially when we were playing into the wind first half, and any sensible team would have knocked it into the channels for him.

Tudgay 4: tries to link the play, gets no service. Hard to assess when the midfield gives him nothing to work with.

Subs: Prosthetic 2: why oh why?
Nouble 6: made things happen, however accidentally. With a bit of luck he'll be spared the wing in future.
Turgott 5: at least we know he exists, and he can run

Macfarlane: go now, save time.
Pressley: still to blame for this hopelessly unbalanced and leaderless 'groop'

Best chant: 'one more striker', an effective comment on the clueless twosome above

Mowbray: Thanks for taking it on, and best of luck. We have some capable individuals - maybe - but nothing like a team, and not much time to create one.

Gazolba

. Samuel tried his best but was offside more than not. That's not just be down to him. I'd say the ball isn't given to him early enough. .

I'm sure it has not escaped Barnsley's attention that he is our current danger man. They watched the tapes and nullified him. Simple as that.

WhiteyBFC

I thought you were a threat first half, Tudgay hit the post, but we bossed possession in difficult conditions and always looked the more likely second half. The wind played its part throughout, but I think we dominated mainly due to our midfield three. It wasn't a great display from us, it's not been great all season to be honest. But we're now grinding out wins and see ourselves on the brink of the playoffs. Crazy division.

You lack a cutting edge, on tonight's evidence. I feel able to discuss the merits of Tudgay, Nouble, Proschwitz and JOB having seen plenty of them in a red shirt the last few years, Jim especially. What I saw tonight was standard JOB. He grafts, but often with little thought to it. He has no positional awareness and had Lalkovic been anything like decent tonight we could have taken advantage there. However, he's well liked here is Jim, and I certainly think he's better than a 3/10 as given further up this thread. But L1 is definitely his level. We knew that for 4 years... Off the field, and in terms of graft, he's Premier League.

Nouble is quite easily up there as one of the worst forwards I've seen play for us. Like Kayode Odejayi, he has the tools for the job, but uses them in the wrong order. He looked dangerous tonight to be fair, but he's never going to score many goals. Tudgay I like, but I think his best years are behind him. And ze German is pants. Give him a chance inside the box, he can look quite lethal. But after that there's nothing there. Useless hold up play, can't (or won't) head the ball, no pace, no technique. Bang average. Bizarre signing for you.

I do see Mowbray as a great appointment though, and hopefully next season he'll make his mark. But this season? Forget the lovely football etc, you're in a dogfight and points are all that matter.

Final point - Barton. Why?
Awful footballer.

Hope you stay up, good luck in doing so.

Whitey

Silence_Is_The_Enemy

We can't really judge Prochwitz until we start to play our free flowing attacking football

im sorry but a player that tall shouldnt be losing every ball thats near him in the air once he came on for tudgay it was like playing with 10 men honestly we might aswell ditch him back to brentford and free up a slot for mowbray to bring in a player of his choice

Hobo

Well, that was grim. Freezing cold and ice age football to match. First half was honours even, second we lost the midfield - just for a change - and as a result lost a very winnable game. Pretty much agree with the OP, but for what it's worth...

Burge 5: blameless for the goal, but doesn't inspire confidence in anyone, hence the mix-ups with defenders. Has learnt the Schmeichel strategy of charging out to berate the back four when things go wrong. Wish he'd been so keen to leave his line to get the ball.

Philips 6: did his job; tried to overlap, didn't work, though we rarely had the ball long enough to play him in.

Stokes 6: ditto. He looked up to this level, and wasn't caught out of position as often as some our of FBs

Martin 4: he's a carthorse. Surely we should have known that from the first time round?

Barton 4: pings crisp passes round the centre circle for a bit, then loses it, or plays it to someone else who does. Pseudo-creative.

Fleck 5: the least bad of our identikit midfield lightweights in that he tries to drive forward with the ball and even finds a team-mate with a forward pass very occasionally. Could look much better with a proper ball-winner alongside (or v. 10 men, as at Bramall Lane).

JOB 3: drives me nuts. Plays like he's in a U-9s game where they all follow the ball, leaving his defenders to guess whether he might cover or not. Tries to buy cheap free-kicks all the time, and gives so many silly ones away, as per the goal. Pseudo-leader; should be the first one TB takes behind the bike sheds for a friendly chat.

Odelusi 3: not a man for a relegation scrap on tonight's evidence; the odd creative moment, but ducked out a couple of times too

Samuel 3: piss-poor tonight, sadly. Can't hold the ball up, and has so much pace that there's no excuse or logic for being caught offside so often, especially when we were playing into the wind first half, and any sensible team would have knocked it into the channels for him.

Tudgay 4: tries to link the play, gets no service. Hard to assess when the midfield gives him nothing to work with.

Nouble 6: made things happen, however accidentally. With a bit of luck he'll be spared the wing in future.

Best chant: 'one more striker', an effective comment on the clueless twosome above

Mowbray: Thanks for taking it on, and best of luck. We have some capable individuals - maybe - but nothing like a team, and not much time to create one.

Good write up, thanks.
Some people think these players are top six material and it was just down to Steve Pressleys coaching? I don't agree with that and don't think it is all down to him why we have such poor players. The guy from Brentford for instance. Tony Mowbray has a job on his hands and I don't think he will be here beyond the end of the season, so not getting too excited.

fernandopartridge

Excellent write up, agree with the analysis

MichaelCCFC

"Well, that was grim. Freezing cold and ice age football to match."

Spot on. Only thing I would add is Barnsley were very poor. What that says about us is self-evident.

Should also say massive credit to the lads who kept the singing going - the fans were the only thing last night that was a credit to CCFC. (What was up with the stewards in the second half?)

LB87ccfc

Last night was a very very poor match played out by what looked like two very poor sides.
We was absolutely awful with no one coming out for any praise apart from Nouble and Turgott who looked to be positive and run at their men when they received the ball.

Nouble should of had a nailed on penalty when he was clipped from the behind, but the referee bottled it in my opinion when he had a perfect position from 4 yards away from the incident, if its simulation then why no booking ref?

The windy conditions and bobbly pitch did not help either side play attractive football, but the first 20 minutes when we did have the ball, it was lumped aimlessly forward by Martin from the back into no mans land, and the back 4 looked extremely nervous with the ball.

Stokes was without a shadow of a doubt piss poor and was constantly bullied down our left side which they attacked him at will, certainly not a league one left back by any stretch of the imagination and its clear to see if you have played the game at a decent level, mind you Phillips was not much better himself last night on the other side.

The Midfield lacked composure, confidence and conviction and gave Samuel nothing balls to chase down, with tudgay being out muscled in the air everytime we lumped it up to him.

Changes were made far too late in the day when it was evident Barnsley were there to be got at with their defence looking like they did not want the ball when they got it.

Overall a very very average performance, its evident we need a battling midfielder who will stamp his authority on the midfield and play none of this ticky tacky triangles what so evidently got us into the shit last night on more than 5 occasions.

Alot of work to do on the training field, but one thing Mowbray can do instantly, is install confidence into the players again, as last night it was clearly evident that confidence was low.

LB87ccfc

"Well, that was grim. Freezing cold and ice age football to match."

Spot on. Only thing I would add is Barnsley were very poor. What that says about us is self-evident.

Should also say massive credit to the lads who kept the singing going - the fans were the only thing last night that was a credit to CCFC. (What was up with the stewards in the second half?)

The stewards are always a bunch of wankers up in Yorkshire, looked abit of nothing and bully boy antics coming out to be honest.

steveecov

I thought you were a threat first half, Tudgay hit the post, but we bossed possession in difficult conditions and always looked the more likely second half. The wind played its part throughout, but I think we dominated mainly due to our midfield three. It wasn't a great display from us, it's not been great all season to be honest. But we're now grinding out wins and see ourselves on the brink of the playoffs. Crazy division.

You lack a cutting edge, on tonight's evidence. I feel able to discuss the merits of Tudgay, Nouble, Proschwitz and JOB having seen plenty of them in a red shirt the last few years, Jim especially. What I saw tonight was standard JOB. He grafts, but often with little thought to it. He has no positional awareness and had Lalkovic been anything like decent tonight we could have taken advantage there. However, he's well liked here is Jim, and I certainly think he's better than a 3/10 as given further up this thread. But L1 is definitely his level. We knew that for 4 years... Off the field, and in terms of graft, he's Premier League.

Nouble is quite easily up there as one of the worst forwards I've seen play for us. Like Kayode Odejayi, he has the tools for the job, but uses them in the wrong order. He looked dangerous tonight to be fair, but he's never going to score many goals. Tudgay I like, but I think his best years are behind him. And ze German is pants. Give him a chance inside the box, he can look quite lethal. But after that there's nothing there. Useless hold up play, can't (or won't) head the ball, no pace, no technique. Bang average. Bizarre signing for you.

I do see Mowbray as a great appointment though, and hopefully next season he'll make his mark. But this season? Forget the lovely football etc, you're in a dogfight and points are all that matter.

Final point - Barton. Why?
Awful footballer.

Hope you stay up, good luck in doing so.

Whitey

Excellent post. A great, informative and above all HONEST view. Thank you.

The Lurker

What worried me about last night was the fact it was a SP style performance. Which makes me believe it's the players and not the manager. Saturday apart from the opening 15 mins was the same. Hopefully mowbary can work his magic but worryingly for me. He said he watched matches and praised Barton and fleck. If he continues to play these two then I can't see us moving up the table.

On a side note, stokes impressed me again. Didn't look out of place.

LB87ccfc

What worried me about last night was the fact it was a SP style performance. Which makes me believe it's the players and not the manager. Saturday apart from the opening 15 mins was the same. Hopefully mowbary can work his magic but worryingly for me. He said he watched matches and praised Barton and fleck. If he continues to play these two then I can't see us moving up the table.

Really really love to know what game you was watching, Stokes was dreadful and was beaten at will by their full back and right winger when they felt like it, constantly gave possession away, and never offered anything.

Dreadful performance and certainly not league one level.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Not going to change overnight, Mcfarlane hasn't made any changes to the system so not surprised it was still the same rubbish. It's gonna take time for Mowbray to turn us around in terms of our style and system but we have to get results as well in the short term

Houdi

Totally agree,Saturday's result great and welcome though it was, masked a poor performance particularly in the 2nd half where we were totally outplayed, and we struggled to string even 2 passes together. It seems last night was pretty similar, and the harsh reality is that Pressley has assembled generally a very poor set of players.
Journalists like Alan Poole and Clive Eakin have allowed their personal positive view of Presssley as a genuinely nice man, to cloud their professional judgement of him as poor football manager.Hopefully the change of manager can save us, and it wasn't made too late.

The Lurker

I wouldn't say stokes was outstanding by any meaning but I could name at least 6-7 players in city shirt who were worse then stokes last night. He had a solid game and I was one of the moaners about signing him but he did alright. Problem lies in midfield for me but concerned that mowbary was impressed with fleck and Barton in previous games hopefully that opinion changed last night for him

Users who are viewing this thread