Barca ! (2 Viewers)

covcity4life

The commentator on last night’s game was Steve Mcmanaman. Whenever Barcelona are on he’s always on at messi saying he’s not involved and was doing the same last night. He even called PSG’s front three ‘average’ when he did their game. Just because people think messi is class and get excited when he does something special doesn’t mean they are sheep. I appreciate you don’t enjoy it but you surely you can understand why people want to celebrate the greatest player on Earth?
yeah for every messi nuthugger there is opposite who says something like neymar is crap.

ccfchoi87

There's a difference between noticing he does something good (his free kick) and then jumping around like their team had just won a trophy though.

I can understand Barca fans losing their mind when they score, I can understand people saying "that was a great free kick, look at the curve" etc.

The only people I’ve seen jumping around were Ferdinand and Lineker? One played for Barca and one played for Liverpool’s biggest rivals. They were both there, caught up in the atmosphere and playing to the cameras. No one was jumping around in the pub I was in but they were ‘hyped’ about seeing that goal.

ccfchoi87

the reason people rave is that messi does this every week. you cant compare 1 off fks from chaplin or shipley. connsistency is huge and messi delivered for decade now

as for play acting i agree it was poor but i must say it seemed very out of character,ive not seen him do it much in his career

To be fair to him and gets targeted off the ball all the time and got what he deserved when he eventually got the free kick. Neymar was the same when I watched him live. Got booted up in the air every time he got the ball. It’s no wonder they play act.

covcity4life

To be fair to him and gets targeted off the ball all the time and got what he deserved when he eventually got the free kick. Neymar was the same when I watched him live. Got booted up in the air every time he got the ball. It’s no wonder they play act.
yeah neymar gets awful treatment and no protection yet ppl call him crybaby

yet when he does a trick and defender fouls out of embarsement they blame him for doing the trick too lmao

Nick

Administrator
The only people I’ve seen jumping around were Ferdinand and Lineker? One played for Barca and one played for Liverpool’s biggest rivals. They were both there, caught up in the atmosphere and playing to the cameras. No one was jumping around in the pub I was in but they were ‘hyped’ about seeing that goal.

Hyped in what way? It was a decent free kick, I can appreciate that but don't get all of the "hype" around it.

I'd rather save myself to go mental when Hiwula taps in at a boggy league 1 ground!

ccfchoi87

Hyped in what way? It was a decent free kick, I can appreciate that but don't get all of the "hype" around it.

Raving about it, tweeting about it, saying how unbelievable it was etc. Probably what you would say is ‘wanking over it’. If I was in the crowd, I’d probably have jumped up as well.

I’ve seen Messi play live but not Ronaldo. Am I an armchair fan because I was in awe of I his overhead kick against Juve? I go to the city every week, can I call someone an armchair fan for watching on Ifollow?

Nick

Administrator
Raving about it, tweeting about it, saying how unbelievable it was etc. Probably what you would say is ‘wanking over it’. If I was in the crowd, I’d probably have jumped up as well.

I’ve seen Messi play live but not Ronaldo. Am I an armchair fan because I was in awe of I his overhead kick against Juve? I go to the city every week, can I call someone an armchair fan for watching on Ifollow?

Where have I said you are an armchair fan? Obviously not if you have seen them play live and actually go to football matches ;)

ccfchoi87

Where have I said you are an armchair fan? Obviously not if you have seen them play live and actually go to football matches ;)

I didn’t say you did. I don’t like ‘glory supporters’ either but I can appreciate Messi and Ronaldo. I will happily ‘cream’ over them and there’s nout wrong with that. There’s also nothing wrong with enjoying lower league football more and I would much rather watch us than a champions league game.

covcity4life

you said i was a tv fan when i go watch cov regulary!

also you keep saying that people are celebrating messi fk more than they do cov goals, not sure how you get that. its just an amazing free kick. yes you may see similar in lower league but facts are they wont be in semi finals of huge competion,they wont be vs one of best keepers in world and most importantly they tend to be one offs whereas messi does this week in week out. its literally been 3 weeks since his majestic chipped freekick for crying out loud

we are lucky to have watched his career, just like many got to see mohammed ali in prime or bradman in cricket etc. admiring the best does not mean you prefer them to your own club scoring goals.

Nick

Administrator
I didn’t say you did. I don’t like ‘glory supporters’ either but I can appreciate Messi and Ronaldo. I will happily ‘cream’ over them and there’s nout wrong with that. There’s also nothing wrong with enjoying lower league football more and I would much rather watch us than a champions league game.

My point was more the people (which are sadly the majority) who will only have ever seen a football match on a TV screen at home or in the pub. They are the target market for it, the same as deadline day and all of that shite.

Of course Messi and Ronaldo can be appreciated but the majority of the people getting worked up about it probably won't have experienced actual passion for football apart from the fake stuff facing a TV.

Some of my mates are like it, the last match some of them probably went to was a Cov Match but will watch Man Utd on the TV every week and jump about if they score. Yes, words are had about it! ;)

covcity4life

going to the actual games doesnt improve you as a fan really,its just great to see your team live and let passionc arry you away for few hours,or take in the spectacle of a big game as a neutral like when i have seen barcelona or holland play live. It wont make you more intelligent however.

regardless hopefully you now understand why many in this thread waxing lyrical about messi and we can bookend this.

Evo1883

Maradona was better , Messi whilst great doesn’t play against top top defenders anymore .
10/15 years ago you had the likes of maldini , nesta , Cafu , Carlos , cannavaro , Stam , Ferdinand ,terry carvalho , Zanetti .....top top defenders all over Europe and the world , these days in an age where defenders are preferred if they can pass it’s no wonder somebody of Messi ability can freely score and run through people the way he does .

Garbage defenders , garbage holding midfielders .

I mean Jerome boateng is classed as a world class defender these Days and he’s bilge

He couldn’t score against Chelsea for years and as soon as makalele terry and carvalho moved on he scores against them , his record against English teams and Italian teams was horrendous until all the great defenders retired .

Too much protection , not enough great defenders or physically great midfielders = easy mode

Brazilian ronaldo would score 40-60 goals a year playing upfront in the Barca team of the last several years .
He scored 48 in a much weaker Barca team

There isn’t a single defender today that would get into a world 11 of the last 20 years , not one

And midfielders are pretty much the same

Last edited:

CCFC88

Not really that bothered about people who have only seen football grounds on the TV pulling their cocks obsessively over him.

He scored a tap in from 5 yards and the commentators were nearly creaming about it, yeah he scored a great free kick but you will get them every week in lower leagues in one game or another with hardly a mention.
A great free kick against one of the best keepers in the world, I think that's the difference, yes free kicks get scored in the lower leagues but against keepers worse than Lee Burge and Liam O'Brien.

I actually thought it was a great game, it hinged on big moments of which there were many, Barca/Messi took theirs Salah/Mane/Lpool didn't.

Tie is not over by any stretch, especially with Barca's form in away knockout ties over the past 2/3 years, mix that in with Liverpool's at Anfield over the past few years, an early Liverpool goal and its anyones guess.

covcity4life

carlos and cafu not really renowned for their defending. dani alves is easily in that company.
A great free kick against one of the best keepers in the world, I think that's the difference, yes free kicks get scored in the lower leagues but against keepers worse than Lee Burge and Liam O'Brien.

I actually thought it was a great game, it hinged on big moments of which there were many, Barca/Messi took theirs Salah/Mane/Lpool didn't.

Tie is not over by any stretch, especially with Barca's form in away knockout ties over the past 2/3 years, mix that in with Liverpool's at Anfield over the past few years, an early Liverpool goal and its anyones guess.
if you didnt post about nfl you would be 1 of my fav posters!

ccfc92

Probably, because I make my own mind up rather than just repeating what whichever pundit on the TV says.

That game wasn't really that entertaining yet if you listen to the radio / TV they need some wet wipes when discussing it.

Look at the state of this

That's all for show that. Rio fair enough, assume he hates Liverpool because of the Man U connection, but Lineker is just being his usual self.

Shay Given's reaction was much better to Salah's goal :'D

Evo1883

carlos and cafu not really renowned for their defending. dani alves is easily in that company.

if you didnt post about nfl you would be 1 of my fav posters!
Alves is nowhere near the level of Carlos or Cafu

Cafu often regarded as the greatest right back of all time and Carlos the greatest left back , never hear anybody mention alves

Zanetti , Thuram ,Ashley Cole better players than alves too

covcity4life

Alves is nowhere near the level of Carlos or Cafu

Cafu often regarded as the greatest right back of all time and Carlos the greatest left back , never hear anybody mention alves
Alves won more trophies than any player ever. He would be up there in same tier is all i mean

I understand your point and i hsve great memories of everyone you mentioned but your in a bit of a nostalgia bubble.

Evo1883

Alves won more trophies than any player ever. He would be up there in same tier is all i mean

I understand your point and i hsve great memories of everyone you mentioned but your in a bit of a nostalgia bubble.

I can’t go along with winning more trophies equals ability , take gerrard as that example, alves for me is / was good but there have been far better full backs /LR Backs over the last 15 years

Evo1883

Not really nostalgia , name me a defender from today who would get into a world 11 of the last 20 years

In fact name me a midfielder too , maybe argue xavi iniesta but they are the last of the old guard of the 10-15 years ago I’m arguing for

Evo1883

In short , there are far less world class players around today ,look at the national teams to gauge what I’m saying and you will fully understand my point

You have to ask yourself why it’s so easy for players to score 40-60 goals a season now in all competitions , from Harry Kane to Lionel Messi players are doing it all over Europe and there is a reason

covcity4life

Its easy to say they wouldnt get in but you judt csnt say. Todays world 11 migjt beat them might not

Messi neymar ronaldo aguero kroos modric vvd pique oblak godin etc difference is you dont remember them fondly as diff point in your life and a time where football not all consumed vy money and social media fans

Also mesis up vs super athletes every week. Footballs changed alot since maeadonna days

You can flip pros and cons back and foeth for who had it easier between the 2 argentinians

Evo1883

Its easy to say they wouldnt get in but you judt csnt say. Todays world 11 migjt beat them might not

Messi neymar ronaldo aguero kroos modric vvd pique oblak godin etc difference is you dont remember them fondly as diff point in your life and a time where football not all consumed vy money and social media fans

Also mesis up vs super athletes every week. Footballs changed alot since maeadonna days

You can flip pros and cons back and foeth for who had it easier between the 2 argentinians

You would also argue maradona would be fitter today , have more space and protection to do what messi does today , he was doing it back then when the game was much more physical , on worse pitches against better back lines .

Football today isn’t better imo , the premier league was at its very best in the early to mid 2000s

PS , the answer to my question is NONE ;) not a single one

covcity4life

Messi Ronaldo would. Behave

And reason ppl.score more is cos the sport is becoming more lopsided in leagues btw. Best players play for best teams so competition not as high

Alao more teams in europe than ever so more games. Less upsets in cups so more games for players in big teama

Evo1883

Messi Ronaldo would. Behave

And reason ppl.score more is cos the sport is becoming more lopsided in leagues btw. Best players play for best teams so competition not as high

My question was about midfield and back line , Messi and ronaldo are forwards

I disagree about the reasoning you’ve given btw , that’s football I guess all opinions

covcity4life

Xavi? Iniesta?

As for defenders godin vvd ramos pique be in contention

Check out koulibaly and skiriniar too. The later especially will go down as a cb legend frim what i have seen

Evo1883

Would messi have scored 600 goals playing in Italy during the 90s early 2000s is kind of what I’m getting at , I very very very much doubt it

You only have to look at ronaldos goal return in Italy compared to his goal return in Spain for starters , and serie a was better in the 90s/2000s

Evo1883

Xavi? Iniesta?

As for defenders godin vvd ramos pique be in contention

Check out koulibaly and skiriniar too. The later especially will go down as a cb legend frim what i have seen
Come on mate , koulibaly is good on the ball driving forward , he’s no Ronald koeman , and skrinier il just ignore that comment

Only Ramos would imo and he’d still be struggling to make the bench

covcity4life

Would messi have scored 600 goals playing in Italy during the 90s early 2000s is kind of what I’m getting at , I very very very much doubt it

You only have to look at ronaldos goal return in Italy compared to his goal return in Spain for starters , and serie a was better in the 90s/2000s

I have said there are more games to be had now. But sure games evolved to be more attacking too

Serie a is still better defensively than other leagues so not radical change

Evo1883

I have said there are more games to be had now. But sure games evolved to be more attacking too

Serie a is still better defensively than other leagues so not radical change

I don’t know mate , arsenal are dire and managed to bang 3 past the second best team in Italy , which included koulibaly

covcity4life

Come on mate , koulibaly is good on the ball driving forward , he’s no Ronald koeman , and skrinier il just ignore that comment
I said wait and see with skrinniar. That one we have to let play out. But ive seen enough to know he is special

Lapprte could go on to be a koeman

You are rubbishing anything new and dreaming of good ol days

I get it but its not really worth debsting if you truly see it so black and white

Evo1883

I said wait and see with skrinniar. That one we have to let play out. But ive seen enough to know he is special

Lapprte could go on to be a koeman

You are rubbishing anything new and dreaming of good ol days

I get it but its not really worth debsting if you truly see it so black and white

I’m not rubbishing the modern game , well in a sense I am I suppose .
I just see the game over the last 35 years and make a judgment that Infact football isn’t as good anymore and there are less world class players

You are more than welcome to disagree with my opinions but you haven’t really

Evo1883

Hes just 1 man still

I mean I don’t think it’s the best defensive league anymore , Ajax arsenal and atletico scored freely against the 2 best teams

Serie a has taken a nosedive this year imo , the premier league is improving again

covcity4life

I’m not rubbishing the modern game , well in a sense I am I suppose .
I just see the game over the last 35 years and make a judgment that Infact football isn’t as good anymore and there are less world class players

You are more than welcome to disagree with my opinions but you haven’t really
I wont disagree ckmpletly as i agree somewhat. Seems to be less stars. But i would say i believe alot of that is down to statw of game and my age rarher than talent

Users who are viewing this thread