Baker to Orient 150k (3 Viewers)

skyblusam

I don't do facebook but I know there's a few on here that do. So why don't someone just message him and find out if this rumour has any truth. Simples

Noggin

Have faith. For a start o'brien and tudguy were playing a league higher. Look at bakers record in the championship!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

In the last 25 years I don't think Coventry City have ever outperformed my expectations over an entire season and I think thats the case with most of us, as a whole we've always been more optimistic than was deserved. With that in mind it's hard to believe we feel to negative now and that the team that didn't have anywhere near the strength in depth to do well over a season by the end of the year now does.

LJC_CCFC

If Baker does leave, 55 of the 74 goals we scored last season were done so by players no longer at the club. Given we've lost perhaps the league's best keeper, and how close to relegation we were; I'm astonished how many people keep on heralding departing key players as 'good business'. On their own, each deal may make sense; but the collective narrative is very, very worrying - especially given the quality of replacements thus far.

To date, and I understand this may change; the relationship between quality out and quality in, is not a happy one

As I've said before the likes of McGoldrick, Clarke and Moussa had pretty average records before joining us. Now they are seen as gods having left us. Christie and Wilson were always going to leave and rightly so. Baker is only going to get worse (probably wouldn't play either) so in all reality letting him go now would be shrewd from Elvis, rather than keep him on the wage bill for another year. Murphy is a big loss imo as we knew his capabilities and that you could rely on him, Allsop and Burge's qualities are unknown to us as it stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shy_tall_knight

Of those players that have left, none were an SP signing, his record on signings especially strikers is very poor. Now many were loan signings but I don't think he has good judgement or the club is unable to attract reasonable players. We are losing quality proven players who are being replaced by crocks and players who can't demand a regular place in their previous team. Its a lot of gambles IMO and how deluded to think that baker will lead to his wages being used for 4 players. This season like last season there will be lots of loans, the cheapest possible and free like Chuba - this is SISU please all wake up.

Noggin

As I've said before the likes of McGoldrick, Clarke and Moussa had pretty average records before joining us. Now they are seen as gods having left us. Christie and Wilson were always going to leave and rightly so. Baker is only going to get worse (probably wouldn't play either) so in all reality letting him go now would be shrewd from Elvis, rather than keep him on the wage bill for another year. Murphy is a big loss imo as we knew his capabilities and that you could rely on him, Allsop and Burge's qualities are unknown to us as it stands.

sure and there is every reason to believe a few of the signings will be great for us, unfortunately we've lost multiple great players so we need multiple of the new guys to be great also just to remain at the quality we were at (which nearly got us relegated), A couple of the signings have been better than the quality I expected us to be able to attract so thats a big positive but the squad is currently still way way to light and while there is every reason to believe each new signing can be great there is big risk they won't be or they will be out injured for long periods.

Steve.B50

I understand Baker is our highest paid player but its £3.5k per week, not 8k.
Always liked him, gave his best even if not the greatest we have ever had.
Outspoken and made it very clear how he feels about being at City.
If he goes I am sorry to see him leave.

stupot07

In fairness Stu; faith is all we can have, as an analysis based on facts is alarming. Clarke, Wilson, Moussa gone. Throw in Murphy, Christie and now Baker and that migration of talent doesn't appear to be being matched by that coming in. And post-Christmas, we were showing relegation form with those players at our disposal

But who's to say O'Brien playing a league lower and Swanson playing week in week out won't get goals to replace baker and moussa's? Last season was by far moussa's best goal scoring season, his form after Clarke left was average (2 in 15 I think?). Yes our form post Xmas was poor but SP has said he's changing the way we're gonna play. You could argue that Johnson and Pugh has strengthened the back four. Tudguy will be an excellent signing. The window doesn't close for another 5-6 weeks. We will have made another 4-5 signings by then and have a better idea of whether we need to panic. We don't need to replace 55 goals if we can concede 25-30 less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

woody11462

To be fair to Pressley I don't think he wanted any of the players that performed well from last season to leave. His budget has been reduced even more this year and he is doing what he can with the shite hand he has been dealt. He's done well getting some of the players we have in a sensible wage structure. You can get out of this league on a small budget, Yeovil is an example if that.

Grendel

Grendel

Offensive post

Not at all I'm sure he does. I mean from previous posts he knows Stuart Linnel, Richard Keys, Steve Waggot, he's had a source in the past in the football league, countless players from the 60's era upwards some of whom he entertains with Sunday dinner.

WestEndAgro

Yes of course you do.

Not at all I'm sure he does. I mean from previous posts he knows Stuart Linnel, Richard Keys, Steve Waggot, he's had a source in the past in the football league, countless players from the 60's era upwards some of whom he entertains with Sunday dinner.

Blimey, I'm guessing he's on a six figure salary with the friends mentioned !

SlowerThanPlatt

We won't be getting a fee for Baker and certainly not 150k. He's 31, on Championship wages and is frankly quite an average player at this level.

ccfc1234

O'Brien, Swanson, Miller, Tudgay and Coulibaly should step up to the plate just fine. Plus an additional two forwards and centre mid

I do have my doubts over some of the quality in vs the quality that has departed.
My main concern is goals from midfield and the forward line: Swanson got 2 in 35 appearances for Peterborough last season and Jim o'brian 7 goals in 123 apps for Barnsley this is nothing to get excited about when you think Moussa got 12 goals in 39 last season alone! Coupled by the lack of real quality up front now as our two best forwards and definitely our most productive partnership in a while in Clarke and Wilson have both now left. Tudgay 5 years ago was a 1 goal in 4 player for Sheff Weds but look at his stats for forest 1 in 6 with a very slightly better return than that while on loan at Barnsley where he played only a handful of games. As for Miller his stats again are poor 4 in 28 in league 1. He did show potential as a younger player at Crew but in the last 4 years he has gone firmly backwards as a player. I am not saying either or of these 2 will not get 10-15 goals but when you look at the goals from last season they need to replace I hope you can see my fears in the "goals for" column esp with the midfield goals we now are without.

As for Johnson - "still wanted by Wednesday fans" I have a good friend who is a ST holder and he said ok for L1 but clumsy and a player they could replace. He has been watching them for 30+ years so I kind of believe him on that and if he was so good and in demand how did we become his best option?

As for Pugh I am delighted and he will be an upgrade, but our defence is so slow we will concede a worrying amount of goals again this season and may not win games 3-2 this year due to the lack of offensive guile and pace.

In summery I feel sorry for SP who will have to get players playing above themselves to ensure we are mid table and frankly for CCFC we deserve far better than a League 1 mid table. With 3 weeks to go am still hopeful we actually will spend 500k on a proven or high goals to games ratio player from L2 or a foreign league but I am not getting my hopes up too high.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I do have my doubts over some of the quality in vs the quality that has departed.
My main concern is goals from midfield and the forward line: Swanson got 2 in 35 appearances for Peterborough last season and Jim o'brian 7 goals in 123 apps for Barnsley this is nothing to get excited about when you think Moussa got 12 goals in 39 last season alone! Coupled by the lack of real quality up front now as our two best forwards and definitely our most productive partnership in a while in Clarke and Wilson have both now left. Tudgay 5 years ago was a 1 goal in 4 player for Sheff Weds but look at his stats for forest 1 in 6 with a very slightly better return than that while on loan at Barnsley where he played only a handful of games. As for Miller his stats again are poor 4 in 28 in league 1. He did show potential as a younger player at Crew but in the last 4 years he has gone firmly backwards as a player. I am not saying either or of these 2 will not get 10-15 goals but when you look at the goals from last season they need to replace I hope you can see my fears in the "goals for" column esp with the midfield goals we now are without.

As for Johnson - "still wanted by Wednesday fans" I have a good friend who is a ST holder and he said ok for L1 but clumsy and a player they could replace. He has been watching them for 30+ years so I kind of believe him on that and if he was so good and in demand how did we become his best option?

As for Pugh I am delighted and he will be an upgrade, but our defence is so slow we will concede a worrying amount of goals again this season and may not win games 3-2 this year due to the lack of offensive guile and pace.

In summery I feel sorry for SP who will have to get players playing above themselves to ensure we are mid table and frankly for CCFC we deserve far better than a League 1 mid table. With 3 weeks to go am still hopeful we actually will spend 500k on a proven or high goals to games ratio player from L2 or a foreign league but I am not getting my hopes up too high.

I get you have concerns about the players coming in but how they have performed in the past is not a full proof indicator as to how they will perform for us.

Moussa had scored about 9 goals over 7 seasons when he joined us
Clarkes championship record was much worse than Tudgays when he joined, same for Mcgoldrick when he joined us on loan
Callum Wilson was a nobody this time last season, some of the more intelligent posters on here took every opportunity to tell us how poor he would be for us and how we would struggle to score goals last season

The last time we spent money on a high goals to game ratio player from L2 was when we bought Cody Mcdonald, the time before that when we spent money on a 'proven' striker Freddy Eastwood. Other notable players who we have spent transfer fees on in recent seasons, Chris Dunn and Adam Barton.

LJC_CCFC

I get you have concerns about the players coming in but how they have performed in the past is not a full proof indicator as to how they will perform for us.

Clarkes championship record was much worse than Tudgays when he joined, same for Mcgoldrick when he joined us on loan
Callum Wilson was a nobody this time last season, some of the more intelligent posters on here took every opportunity to tell us how poor he would be for us and how we would struggle to score goals last season

The last time we spent money on a high goals to game ratio player from L2 was when we bought Cody Mcdonald, the time before that when we spent money on a 'proven' striker Freddy Eastwood. Other notable players who we have spent transfer fees on in recent seasons, Chris Dunn and Adam Barton.

My thoughts exactly

woody11462

I know we have lost a lot of goals from
last season but can we put that in perspective? Moussa prior to joining us had a strike rate of about 1 in 10. McGoldrick was known as 'McGoaldrought' at Forrest and some fans were laughing at us for taking him on. Clarke was bang in form prior to joining us to be fair but Wilson wasnt a scorer either so it's not as black and white as is made out. It's bout getting the best from what we have in our squad.

What I was trying to say is this post has some structure to it. We need to give the squad, and the incoming players some time to gel and adapt to Pressley's style of play and then see where we stand.

Last edited:

fernandopartridge

Baker's record for us in the championship was dreadful (rarely scored) yet the new blokes are written off for similar or better records.

Noggin

Baker's record for us in the championship was dreadful (rarely scored) yet the new blokes are written off for similar or better records.

no one has written them off,

but we have lost multiple people who we knew were good enough for people who might be good enough, even if they are all good enough though we are still going to be in trouble unless we make another 3 or 4+ good signings because the squad at the end of the season was not good enough and it was not big or deep enough.

While its very possible they are good enough there is the fact that the people we have lost for the most part been wanted by championship clubs (and in some cases even been willing to pay significant amounts for) and the people we've signed haven't been. So unless Pressley is a much better judge of a player than the average championship manager then there is reason to be concerned.

LJC_CCFC

no one has written them off,

but we have lost multiple people who we knew were good enough for people who might be good enough, even if they are all good enough though we are still going to be in trouble unless we make another 3 or 4+ good signings because the squad at the end of the season was not good enough and it was not big or deep enough.

While its very possible they are good enough there is the fact that the people we have for the most part been wanted by championship clubs (and in some cases even been willing to pay significant amounts for) and the people we've signed haven't been. So unless Pressley is a much better judge of a player than the average championship manager then there is reason to be concerned.

Many average championship players have absolutely pissed it in league one, which for the third season on the trot is off a poor poor quality. A Play-off challenge should be on the cards at the very least

Noggin

Many average championship players have absolutely pissed it in league one, which for the third season on the trot is off a poor poor quality. A Play-off challenge should be on the cards at the very least

but again as it stands we need the new players to be as good as the ones we lost just to be at the same level as the team who over the second half of last season would have finished bottom of the league if you only took that half into account (even without a 10 point deduction), the squad is way to light as it stands, some of the new guys have had major injury layoffs in their carers and unless we sign a good few more people once injurys, suspensions, winter with the shitty sixfields pitch set in we will fall apart like we did this year.

I hope your optimism is correct, I'd love to be wrong here.

SkyBlue_Bear83

While its very possible they are good enough there is the fact that the people we have lost for the most part been wanted by championship clubs (and in some cases even been willing to pay significant amounts for) and the people we've signed haven't been. So unless Pressley is a much better judge of a player than the average championship manager then there is reason to be concerned.

Moussa, Clarke and Mcgoldrick were all pretty much binned off and not wanted by championship clubs when they came here and now they are all back in the championship. Doesn't make the managers who let them go were bad judges of a player, it's just for whatever reason it didn't work out for them at their previous clubs before they joined us.

It's not really about if Pressley is a better judge of player than championship managers, some players just don't fit in at certain clubs because of a number of factors such as formation, style of play, competition for places, management style etc.

SkyBlue_Bear83

but again as it stands we need the new players to be as good as the ones we lost just to be at the same level as the team who over the second half of last season would have finished bottom of the league if you only took that half into account (even without a 10 point deduction), the squad is way to light as it stands, some of the new guys have had major injury layoffs in their carers and unless we sign a good few more people once injurys, suspensions, winter with the shitty sixfields pitch set in we will fall apart like we did this year.

I hope your optimism is correct, I'd love to be wrong here.

You have a valid point on injuries, it does concern me that we have signed many players who seem to be injury prone.

I agree the current squad would dip as the season goes on as we don't have the depth to cope with it (Although if we went into the season with the current players + Tudgay I don't think it would be relegation candidates, more midtable between 11-15th), but the current squad won't be the same as the squad at the beginning of September. We will add more players I'm convinced of it, 3/4 more competent players and we should be pushing for top 8/play offs.

Users who are viewing this thread