Baker, the creative midfielder we've always lacked? (1 Viewer)

Having listened to the forums last night i heard a lot of callers/texters/tweeters claiming that baker's performance must have been based on a confidence boost from messers Shaw and Carsley. Personally i think it was due to a revitalised formation which gave Baker a free role to roam, run at players and generally be that creative aspect we've dearly missed since sheffers adopted that role before his move to brum.

Many were questioning as to what the formation was and some were disgruntled that shaw had 'stuck with the diamond'. Couldn't be further from the truth. With 2 strikers who are prepared to run the ball down for 90 minutes like cody and elliot it's far less imperative to have a midfield that press high up the pitch and a clear 4-3-1-2 was evident.

In jennings i think we have a midfielder who has the midfield clout required to release players like baker to be creative and worry less about defensive duties. Jennings has the tenacity of Michael Doyle but can actually play a bit and with the experience of kilbane alongside him despite his ageing legs i think that in sheffers, baker, cody and elliot we could be quite an attacking threat this year

PUSB!

Otis

Baker, the creative midfielder we've always lacked?

Baker the creative midfielder we've always had.

Otis

We've always had him while he's been here haven't we?

How can you disagree with that! Didn't say we'd played him in that role did I.

well as i clearly stated i'm not disagreeing that he's always been here jst that in the past he wasn't creative thus could not be described as a creative midfielder that we've always had as he was a midfielder who lacked creativity before his role last night and potentially a couple of anomalous performances in the past

absolute bollocks

Nothing like a traditional diamond formation, no yawning gap in the middle which a diamond creates, no boring short passes leading nowhere, no wing backs pushing forward with no cover behind. What we did have was four midfield players coming forward when able and all defending for there lives. when the full backs pushed on one of the midfielders filled in, when we went forward we had runs from all angles rather than the normal rigid formation, we played the ball into space not to feet, we played the ball into corners dragging the Brum defence all over the shop. Curtis Davies had an absolute mare, run ragged by Elliot and Mcdonald.

The formation gave all the protection needed for the defence to be comfortable, Edge had the Women Beater in his pocket, Brown was excellent as well.

As for Baker one of the best performances by a Coventry player since our glory days. Passion, vision and skill.

Diamond formation in your dreams (or nightmares).

Midfield as a whole looked far more organised last night, looked as though they were playing with free minds and finding all the right positions without thinking.

Work rate and positioning without the ball appeared to be better too.. few options for Birmingham coming forward.

Baker was full of confidence pulling out the flare we've seen glimpses of, and showing some passion with some great tackles which get the crowd going... but it's already been said we need to see 3 or 4 performances like last night in a row before we start getting excited about this group of players ! PUSB

Otis

well as i clearly stated i'm not disagreeing that he's always been here jst that in the past he wasn't creative thus could not be described as a creative midfielder that we've always had as he was a midfielder who lacked creativity before his role last night and potentially a couple of anomalous performances in the past

Then I think you completely misread what I said.

I was just trying to make the point that we'd always had him but that we maybe haven't utilised him properly.

slyblue57

Nothing like a traditional diamond formation, no yawning gap in the middle which a diamond creates, no boring short passes leading nowhere, no wing backs pushing forward with no cover behind. What we did have was four midfield players coming forward when able and all defending for there lives. when the full backs pushed on one of the midfielders filled in, when we went forward we had runs from all angles rather than the normal rigid formation, we played the ball into space not to feet, we played the ball into corners dragging the Brum defence all over the shop. Curtis Davies had an absolute mare, run ragged by Elliot and Mcdonald.

The formation gave all the protection needed for the defence to be comfortable, Edge had the Women Beater in his pocket, Brown was excellent as well.

As for Baker one of the best performances by a Coventry player since our glory days. Passion, vision and skill.

Diamond formation in your dreams (or nightmares).

Lol Baker one of the best performances since the glory days !!!
Baker had one of his better. if not best game last night. He had passion, tackled and made some good runs.
He also gave the ball away as always, committed silly fouls and blazed the ball over the bar out of play.
Cmon Im far convinced he s our saviour , one good game after a season and half of crap. I look forward to our
new superstar at crewe

slyblue57

Well i was at crewe , baker answer to our midfield woes lol he was awful as per usual. Cmon lets hear all you great baker fans out there. I was right one gud game back to crap. Pusb

junglej13

I desperately want Baker to do well for us as he seems a good bloke. He was dreadful today though and simply isn't the answer. We need Fleck and Thomas back ASAP!

Marty

All we played today was long hoof ball!

No we didn't..... In the second half we did play more long balls but it was just 'hoof ball' as you put it. He was poor but no worse then any other on the pitch, hes an idiot though, threw away the ball and picked up a needless booking when we're chasing the game. he never learns......

pusbccfc

He made a few great passes today tbf, couldn't do anything else.

slyblue57

Hey i want all our players to be sucessful but baker is just plain awful. He s light weight no vision thinks he s george best and just poor.

skybluesteve76

No we didn't..... In the second half we did play more long balls but it was just 'hoof ball' as you put it. He was poor but no worse then any other on the pitch, hes an idiot though, threw away the ball and picked up a needless booking when we're chasing the game. he never learns......

I'd say more long balls than short passes!
To be honest I don't know what we were trying to do really!

Users who are viewing this thread