Back Three (1 Viewer)

JonesBob

MR prefers a back 3 and the playing style we have shows that, but what do you think we should do? Rose and Hyam are improving as we go through the leagues and they have even more room for improvement. On his day Fadz is possibly our best back 3 player but age is slightly against him. I don't know much as I thought Harres and Drysdale would come good over the last few years, but they didn't progress. JS, in my opinion wasn't as good as everyone was making him out to be. Prior to coming to us he was at the Blues for 2 years and didn't do anything. Some players, because of the style we play, are made to look good, like Walsh, and we will never know what the young Man City lad will be. It seems if you are 20+ and beenthrough the academies of a premier league club people drool over you, when in fact many have the wrong attitude.

For me personally, i can't make up my mind which would be the best, 1) a foreign lad no one has heard of, but has the right name, and been playing in France or Holland and looks fast and confident. 2) picking up an expremier league lad 3) getting someone who is late 20s early 30 with championship experience. What do you think?

Whay do you guys think?

shmmeee

Don’t care where they come from, but I wouldn’t be signing more late 20s journeymen. Next season Fadz and Rose are likely to be let go, we need the next lot coming through and to continue our strategy to grow and sell players.

Esoterica

It's a difficult balance but we can't keep filling the squad up with players like Todd Kane, Bidwell, and Waghorn. High wages, long contracts, 0 resale value and, as we're seeing, difficult to get out of the club if it doesn't quite work out. Currently only 1 out of those 3 is even getting in the starting line up.

If the aim is comfortable mid table, I'd much rather we spent 500k on potential to develop from leagues below on 7k a week than say 15k a week on a 30 year old squad player.

Speedies_Chips

MR prefers a back 3 and the playing style we have shows that, but what do you think we should do? Rose and Hyam are improving as we go through the leagues and they have even more room for improvement. On his day Fadz is possibly our best back 3 player but age is slightly against him. I don't know much as I thought Harres and Drysdale would come good over the last few years, but they didn't progress. JS, in my opinion wasn't as good as everyone was making him out to be. Prior to coming to us he was at the Blues for 2 years and didn't do anything. Some players, because of the style we play, are made to look good, like Walsh, and we will never know what the young Man City lad will be. It seems if you are 20+ and beenthrough the academies of a premier league club people drool over you, when in fact many have the wrong attitude.

For me personally, i can't make up my mind which would be the best, 1) a foreign lad no one has heard of, but has the right name, and been playing in France or Holland and looks fast and confident. 2) picking up an expremier league lad 3) getting someone who is late 20s early 30 with championship experience. What do you think?

Whay do you guys think?
What does "has the right name mean"? One we can spell or write a song about?

CDK

Difficult and can see both sides,ideally we would be bringing them through from academy,but Drysdale dispensed with.
Then we are back to signing youngsters from the premier lg.
The biggest risk is getting them from abroad.

SheafIsGod

Personally feel as though we should try a back 4. We played 4 at the back once last season for a half against Bristol City and scored 3 goals with 10 men. I don’t understand Robins’ insistence on playing a back 3.

exiled_to_Leeds

I feel we would get horribly narrow with a back 4. The squad is built around wing backs at the moment (though we only really have Dabo who is a true first team wing back currently). O'Hare would be free from as much responsibility to get back guess, but that is a large facet of his game. We need a first choice left centre back and wing back. Assuming none of the 'big 3' go then this would represent a reasonable, if unexciting transfer window.

blunted

Disagree with the JCS observation. That is why he was our first choice to sign at LCB and why Sheff Utd were interested and QPR bought him. Class, left footed footballer but may experience injury problems. We will have a list of wants and it will be down to cost and availability. That is why it could be any of the options on the list. All things being equal, I think we will go for a young Premier League centre back on loan but if a much better player is available irrespective of age or where they come from we will opt for them.

SlowerThanPlatt

Whay do you guys think?
4) Reda Johnson on a pay as you play deal

Users who are viewing this thread