Back then he wasn't brilliant , but in this current team ......... (1 Viewer)

Nonleagueherewecome

3 goals a season in his last 3 full seasons, none this year, not sure I saw him make a tackle in his last season with us. However he does run a lot, and I do think he's better than Thomas and Barton.

No disrespect, but you can't have been watching very closely! He departure in January was a major reason why the wheels fell off under Boothroyd. He'd brought him back into the fold as his style of play was suited to that managers style. He definitely tackled, a lot. And then we paid up his contract to get him off the wage bill and didn't replace him, just as Carsley got injured. It was pretty much the start of our disintegration that has yet to stop...

Anyhoo, back to the OP. I was actually thinking of starting this very thread myself last week. Whenever you watch old footage of us, players that used to be the biggest donkey on the park now look like Pele. 'Cos compared to our current dross, they were! So, a team of players that have impressed me on video or TV in the past few years, who I thought "wow, he used to be shocking for us, now he'd be our star player..."

GK-Dimi. Has made some great stops this season, lights up The FLS every week. With us, he lit it up with comedy errors. Honourable mention: Jonathan Gould. He was RB really, wasn't he? Had a few good games inbetween being a travesty of a selection and even he would be better than what we have now.

RB-Ally Pickering. Who else?!? With the blessings of Bugsy and Roland, we don't have many to choose from in this position. Thought he was diabolical at the time. Watching some old highlights the other year, I ended up freeze-framing to work out who had sent over a stunning ball from the right, assuming it must have been someone like Gallacher. But no, it was Ally. Of course it was probably just a hoof that got lucky, but I'd take him now-then we could move Pennington and Willis to CB! :) Honourable mention: Terry Fleming. Looked exciting at first, then got found out. Had a very good lower league career and is managing in non-league oop north somewhere now, I believe. Very versatile. Craig Pead-got into the L2 Team Of The Season at RB when promoted with Walsall. Regi Genaux (RIP): if he thought that Wee Gordon was biased towards Scots, what would he make of Pressley?!? :D

LB-Greg Downs. Was something of a joke in the 80's, but footage of the 87 cup run suggests that he actually had a wand of a left foot.Couldn't defend, but who can in L1? Would totally sort out the dressing room spirit with his wig japery! Honorable mentions: Paul Edwards (got a 9 against Liverpool in Match Magazine!) and Steve Morgan (had a good game early on, then fell to pieces).

CB's: David Rennie and Andy Pearce. Rennie is a bit of a legend. We all knew he was shocking when he signed, but he did have a really good run of form in the top flight with us! Would be a good reader of the game next to Big Andy (NOT Webster!). Pearce was a raw signing from Halesowen, and it showed. But as a big brute, he was what you needed at the back in English football back then. Gains points for earning us loads of money from Forest. Would be a massive improvement over our current incumbents. Honourable mentions: David Busst (see Pearce only with Moor Green at the start and heartbreaking injury instead of a big money move as the end of his story), Tony Dobson (versatile, could cover DM and LB, and wasn't that goal against Banik Ostrava an absolute screamer!), Alex Evutschoch(sp?)-not a guy I can remember much about aside from him looking utterly shocked by British football, but he had a load of caps for Ukraine, didn't he? Yeah, that would probably be good enough for League 1 I reckon...

RM-Paul Telfer. Loathed as Strachan's pet, couldn't pass, ran all day. Would probably be our captain now. Honourable mentions: John Williams. I think he had his best games for us on the wing where he could utilise his pace. Derided by many as a one-trick-pony, but another who pops up surprisingly regularly in highlights of our great victories of the time (EG the Liverpool/Villa dicking Christmas). Goal against Spurs was a vintage Callum Wilson Sixfields counter-attack. Loved the game, is probably still playing parks football now. Smashing bloke. Laurent Delorge: Never thought he was that bad when we had him, which is backed up by his decent subsequent career. Got 4 goals in just over 20 games in a season at the level above us, so would certainly improve goals from midfield. Paul Hall: very good Championship-level RW most of his career, never close to Premier League class. Would tear L1 to pieces.

LM-John Salako. Anyone remember that bloke who whenever John got the ball on the left would subject him to a constant barrage of abuse, telling him "you're shit, Salako!" he was "finished" and "never takes his man on!" (often followed by him doing just that). Another who features prominently in highlights some of our best victories of his era. "He's got a dead man's tendon, in his leg..." Honourable mention: David Smith. Was a really exciting prospect in his first season but went backwards. Another who suffered terribly at the hand of idiotically counter-productive boo boys-"crossssss ittttt!!!!!" being the usual cry as he meandered up and down in front of his RB 3 or 4 times before he would do. Another who Youtube has been kind to. Cobi Jones: you'd like to think that USA's record cap-winner could do a job in L1, dreadlocks or not. As my mate at the time said, "he looks like an ugly girl". Neil Wood (nah, only joking, he was amazingly inept).

CM's: Julian Darby and Kevin Thornton. Darby was such a terrible footballer, but he certainly scored goals from midfield-including a brace against then-mighty Blackburn. Probably got the goals he did as opposition managers said "he's shit, don't bother tracking his runs" :claping hands: Thornton had loads of ability but wasted it because he was a tit, but he provided some of the best entertainment I've seen since relegation from the top-flight. Adams mismanged him, Harry Redknapp would have built a side around him. Loved his interplay with Tabb in particular. Then suddenly, it was gone-he looked about as fit as a 45 year old who'd been on the booze and fags all week. Honourable mentions: Jose Perdomo (basically Fleck but fatter, slower and with better technique), Barry Quinn (utility ruined his career but it would be handy now. Cleared the ball off the line against Liverpool once. Had a tidy lower/non-league career, always being a bargain signing on Football Manager), Kevin Richardson (ex-Villa Ron-placeman was loathed, but he'd practically purr around our midfield at this level), Mike Marsh (I always rated him but he was largely hated at the time), John Eustace (you remember all those dicks on the phone in with their "useless Eustace" comments...he's been a lot less useless than us for most of his career! Shoulda kept him).

CF's: Simon Haworth and Nii Lamptey. Haworth might actually score in L1! As for Lamptey, yeah I know he got that goal against Villa but wasn't ever close to the goal and a "10" rating per game mega-star of Championship Manager 94 fame!: http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2601...dible-story-of-nii-lamptey-from-pele-endorsed

Honourable mentions: Kevin Drinkell (see Haworth), Jairo Martinez (rubbish but got a few goals at above this level) and the big donkeys, Clive Platt, John Gayle and Trevor Benjamin: they were dreadful, but they might be handy at this level. That said, if Pressley had all three of them, he'd still persist in gently passing it around just outside our own area...

That was fantastic fun to write.

It is of course worth acknowledging that many of those players above would never have got close to the top flight in the modern era-those spaces are now all taken up by signings from overseas, which were still pretty rare.

Last edited:

Nonleagueherewecome

Time to pop my SBT cherry...., Steven O Halloran. Anyone remember him?

Aye, but he couldn't do a job in nonleague even when it came to it, let alone L1. He was only any good before his big injury at Villa.

Nonleagueherewecome

Yeah I had a think about what I posted then had a word with myself. I take back what I said! How's about Leigh jenkinson?

Video technology would be his undoing even at L1 level. Stepover-exposed! He scored a few goals from out wide whilst at Hull though before us and yeah, we really could do with some pace, so he'd probably be better than the Swanson/Haynes/Nouble LW condundrum that we're currently wrestling with!

Nonleagueherewecome

Peter Ndlovu (actually forget him, he was rubbish!). How about Steve Morgan and Terry Fleming). tbh all players mentioned would piss their way into this league. Even Drinkell and his best part of a million transfer fee would look like Pele

Nice one! I had such high hopes for those two when they first featured, the optimism of youth, sigh...

Nonleagueherewecome

Richard Shaw has to get a mention in the R5 show about The Cantona Kick, doesn't he? Yup, there it is-he was under orders to mark him tight and wind him up and really up for the job according to the gaffer!

Grendel

The obvious answer to fit the bill is Craig Bellamy

Gosford Green

Circa 1986: The Styvechale Arms was the place to be and Brian `Killer` Kilcline walked in with Dean Emerson one Friday(!) night.

''Who we got tomorrow Killer?'' We knew but just wanted to chat. ''Fuck knows son'' followed by a glance over at Deano who mouthed ''WIMBLEDON''.
He went on to explain hes been carrying a bit of a knock and was doubtful, but as it was ''that lot'' there would not be a lot of running about and he might be OK and could do with a win bonus. Before long a carriage arrived and Emerson, Killer and his perm were off, we assumed to Park lane.

Next afternoon there he was and pretty much had Fashanu in his pocket all game. It was said Wimbledon won a lot of games in the tunnel bullying the opposition but Killer was probably not taken in by such matters and if remember we won 2-0.

We thought Killer as the unsophisticated foil for the cultured Trevor Peake, great for penalties and lifting FA cups but not in the league of the legend that partnered him in the center of defence and should have won many England caps.

Transport Killer in a time machine to the grim CCFC present and even with a combination of Park lane induced hangovers and injuries he would put to shame the current wankers in our squad who masquerade as both professional footballers and defenders.

Best thread in ages.

Nonleagueherewecome

Agreed, best thread in ages. And Kilcline was a legend, the perfect dirty-work foil for Peake. He gave Swindon a real kick up the arse when he joined them near the end of his career too, my mate at Uni was a Swindon fan and loved him.

I might have to boot up my emulator based City save on CM93/94 soon at this rate, I love old football :) Listening to the Cantona Kick documentary too means it's a real nostalgia-fest tonight. Amiga's are where computer technology reached perfection anyway, right?

Johnnythespider

Nobody's mentioned Sean Flynn yet have they. Average player in the top league but would piss this league with his work ethic. Always gave everything.

Video technology would be his undoing even at L1 level. Stepover-exposed! He scored a few goals from out wide whilst at Hull though before us and yeah, we really could do with some pace, so he'd probably be better than the Swanson/Haynes/Nouble LW condundrum that we're currently wrestling with!

We've all tried it that step over, used to work for me!
I wonder if Cobi Jones can do the jenkinson shuffle, didn't rate him in the top flight but he could quote possibly be our top scorer in this league with a 7 goal haul for the season

tbh444

I'd quite like to see the return of Isaias - and was there also a carlos batista or something who came from portugal with much promise around then

Terry Gibson's perm

Circa 1986: The Styvechale Arms was the place to be and Brian `Killer` Kilcline walked in with Dean Emerson one Friday(!) night.

''Who we got tomorrow Killer?'' We knew but just wanted to chat. ''Fuck knows son'' followed by a glance over at Deano who mouthed ''WIMBLEDON''.
He went on to explain hes been carrying a bit of a knock and was doubtful, but as it was ''that lot'' there would not be a lot of running about and he might be OK and could do with a win bonus. Before long a carriage arrived and Emerson, Killer and his perm were off, we assumed to Park lane.

Next afternoon there he was and pretty much had Fashanu in his pocket all game. It was said Wimbledon won a lot of games in the tunnel bullying the opposition but Killer was probably not taken in by such matters and if remember we won 2-0.

We thought Killer as the unsophisticated foil for the cultured Trevor Peake, great for penalties and lifting FA cups but not in the league of the legend that partnered him in the center of defence and should have won many England caps.

Transport Killer in a time machine to the grim CCFC present and even with a combination of Park lane induced hangovers and injuries he would put to shame the current wankers in our squad who masquerade as both professional footballers and defenders.

Best thread in ages.

The current manager would never pick Killer imagine the colour of his piss:eek:

Nonleagueherewecome

Dare I say Chris Dunn?!? He's had a bit of a blinder against Man U tonight.

Nonleagueherewecome

how did we get afee for him?

Ditto Gary Borrowdale. EDIT: he now plays for Greenwich Borough at the age of 29.

Grendel

Terry Gibson's perm

Maybe we need to look at it a different way are there any players in the past who wouldn't improve this side?

Raffaele Nuzzo.

Although maybe not a bad player as I don't think I ever saw him play but a real name from the past Antonio Caruso just popped up on Wiki when I looked up the legend above!

Last edited:

wingy

Willie Boland ,willo Flood Jim Hagan,but what we really need Is a micheal Doyle " The water carrier".

stupot07

Willie Boland ,willo Flood Jim Hagan,but what we really need Is a micheal Doyle " The water carrier".

I always liked Boland, thought he was a good little footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

wingy

I always liked Boland, thought he was a good little footballer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

true Stu he was .

wasa little Injury prone and never quite got extended runs to prove It .

Where did he Go ? Cardiff City when they were lower down the pyramid ??

Nonleagueherewecome

Chris Dunn keeping a clean sheet against Man U and Dimi playing out of his skin in the Championship...what's the opposite of schadenfreude?

Users who are viewing this thread