Back then he wasn't brilliant , but in this current team ......... (1 Viewer)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

steve sedgley

The Philosopher

Cobi Jones, Roger Van Gool, Dougie McGuire, Paul Culpin and Alan Green?

Dougie McGuire, I remember watching him in the reserves on a regular basis.

John Sillett's reserve team back then would have mopped the floor with our entire 1st team now.

Dean Keily, Keith Thompson (so unlucky that we had Phillips, Gallacher and Smith (he was soooo good in his breakthrough year)) Dougie McGuire, Garry Bannister, Livingstone, etc.

Anyway, the reserves back in about 1990 would have done okay in the top flight in their own right.

Sick Boy

Andy Morrell

For the poster above who said Stern John; John was a quality player who was never apprecited by the fans.

Like a lot of other players, he was labelled as lazy by the mornic section of our support.

KersleyDigs

Andy Morrell

For the poster above who said Stern John; John was a quality player who was never apprecited by the fans.

Like a lot of other players, he was labelled as lazy by the mornic section of our support.
I know, that's why I mentioned him...

W

westcountry_skyblue

Keith O'neill anyone?Probably the worst player ever to pull a Skyblue shirt on !!!

shy_tall_knight

I was glad to see the back of Michael Doyle but he would knock spots off our current midfield tackles runs box to box and scores goals. we haven't got one midfielder currently capable of doing that with the exception of an 18 year old novice

Rusty Trombone

I was glad to see the back of Michael Doyle but he would knock spots off our current midfield tackles runs box to box and scores goals. we haven't got one midfielder currently capable of doing that with the exception of an 18 year old novice

3 goals a season in his last 3 full seasons, none this year, not sure I saw him make a tackle in his last season with us. However he does run a lot, and I do think he's better than Thomas and Barton.

dongonzalos

...........Dimi.........

JC...McPake..Wood....BA

............Doyle...........

Moussa..........Burchill

............Baker........

..........Cody......Leon.....

Last edited:

SkyBlueSid

Yes I know; I was thinking more of a chant. Was he not the keeper who was called from the stand when the first choice keeper was injured in the warm-up?

That wasn't Suckling. It was Steve Murcott who replaced Jim Blyth who got injured in the warm-up against Norwich. He had played for the Youth team at Ryton in the morning. He kept a clean sheet in a 2-0 win but never played again for us. Went off the rails, I seem to recall.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Just out of interest what happened to Donovan Simmonds?

Captain_Slackbladder

Peter Ndlovu (actually forget him, he was rubbish!). How about Steve Morgan and Terry Fleming). tbh all players mentioned would piss their way into this league. Even Drinkell and his best part of a million transfer fee would look like Pele

Sterling Archer

Stern John was a very good footballer but seemed to get stick for appearing lazy AKA not wasting his energy chasing lost causes that went out for a goal kick.

My answer to this question is Michael Mifsud. Loads of pace that this division couldn't have handled. Always felt he was wasted on the wing and far more effective up front in a forward two alongside a target man.

Sky Blue Kid

Stern John was a very good footballer but seemed to get stick for appearing lazy AKA not wasting his energy chasing lost causes that went out for a goal kick. My answer to this question is Michael Mifsud. Loads of pace that this division couldn't have handled. Always felt he was wasted on the wing and far more effective up front in a forward two alongside a target man.
I know he scored a hatful of goals but once he was "Sussed out" became a less than average player to me. He couldn't trap a "Cement bag" The times he was put through on the wing but had to control the ball, we all knew he wasn't good enough to. Still I see your point and would agree to a certain extent ;)

lordsummerisle

I know he scored a hatful of goals but once he was "Sussed out" became a less than average player to me. He couldn't trap a "Cement bag" The times he was put through on the wing but had to control the ball, we all knew he wasn't good enough to. Still I see your point and would agree to a certain extent ;)

He wasn't "sussed out" as such, just that Chris Coleman didn't know what to do with attacking players with pace, totally against his philosophy.

bringbackrattles

Anybody remember Tommy English ? He was reputed to have the hardest shot in football at the time harder than Lorimer of Leeds. the only snag being it was hardly ever on target !

LB87ccfc

John 'useless' Eustace

Would still do a better job in our midfield than any of them , Someone mentioned Cody McDonald would score goals... yes he would but goals are not allowed under the SISU remit as this brings extra financial strain on the club staying in league one or higher meaning bonuses would need to be paid.

gouldberg

Dimi Konstantopoulos
Isaac Osbourne -- James McPake -- Leon Barnett -- Herman Hreidarsson
David Bell -- Guillaume Beuzelin -- Carlton Palmer -- Michael McIndoe
Cody McDonald -- Freddy Eastwood

Subs - Chris Dunn, Arjan De Zeeuw, Jean-Guy Wallemme, Ellery Cairo, Gavin Strachan, Bjarni Gudjonsson*, Roy O'Donovan**

Those guys together, woah...promotion surely?

* - Ok, Gudjonsson certainly wasn't bad, just wasn't given the run of games he needed.
** - The lads actually won trophies since he left us. Yes, they're only in Singapore...but still, more silverware than our lot.

Chipfat

Palmer, Hignett , Chris Marsden, and Colin Healy all players overlooked by others that would stroll in today.. Also players like Shepstone, Stevenson, Blake, and Costello that were stand out as 2nd team players that never got near the first team would be our better players today. I can imagine many more names can be found that would put this current crop apart from a few to shame.. Sad state the club is in and more worrying ion where it is going

rob9872

They would all be just as crap. We would coach it out of them. It's the Coventry City syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread