Axa Building (1 Viewer)

Macca

Absolutely hideous. Was OK with the nice gold windows now looks like a 1970:s housing block. Roll on Friargate. When your city centre landmarks are that, premier inn, ikea and a car park you're in trouble

wingy

Oh they've trashed It
Yeah I thought the gold/ bronzedlook worked
What Is required are real long-term aspirations on how we want a City to look
I don't think we have those visionaries available to us, but our best hope IMO Is the Impetus Coventry Uni has brought us
Not everyone's cup of tea but It floats my boat

Otis

Oh they've trashed It
Yeah I thought the gold/ bronzedlook worked
What Is required are real long-term aspirations on how we want a City to look
I don't think we have those visionaries available to us, but our best hope IMO Is the Impetus Coventry Uni has brought us
Not everyone's cup of tea but It floats my boat

And so would have 'The Venice of the Midlands' too.

Marty

It's vile. The city centre is dire and has been for years. The place is dead at night.

I've had a thought that something needs to be done with cathedral lanes especially, I'd get rid of all the shops in their, replace with restaurants, bars etc for the day time/early evening. Replace the roof with a retractable roof above the central part of it and make the middle an open air nightclub.

wingy

And so would have 'The Venice of the Midlands' too.

Indeed Otis
Not In total jest but there Is discussion of bringing back Into focus the River Sherbourne, although not too grand , water none the less
An Idea floated by one family who do seem to have vision In our City and are behind the regeneration of Far Gosford St. The Harrabins

Otis

It's vile. The city centre is dire and has been for years. The place is dead at night.

I've had a thought that something needs to be done with cathedral lanes especially, I'd get rid of all the shops in their, replace with restaurants, bars etc for the day time/early evening. Replace the roof with a retractable roof above the central part of it and make the middle an open air nightclub.
Cathedral Lanes IS going to be restaurants and bars. Already signed up is Las Iguanas, Latin American restaurant and Wagonmama. They are putting glass fronts in so you will have a nice view across Broadgate and putting in balconies too.

Marty

Oh, sounds nice Otis, I didn't know they were doing this. Perfect world it would be knocked down and the whole square opened up, but that's not going to happen.

dancers lance

Cov Uni run this City, if they had wanted to dangle a 50ft cock and balls over that building with a sign saying "Fuck You Coventry" the council would find an argument to say it was justified.

But just you try and build a small extension on your house......................

Otis

Cov Uni run this City, if they had wanted to dangle a 50ft cock and balls over that building with a sign saying "Fuck You Coventry" the council would find an argument to say it was justified.

But just you try and build a small extension on your house......................

50ft cock? Small extension?

You got penis envy or something?

Covkid1968#

I work at the Uni and I have no idea why people feel the Uni runs the City. Its brought nothing but good (top modern uni in the UK) to our great City

dancers lance

I work at the Uni and I have no idea why people feel the Uni runs the City. Its brought nothing but good (top modern uni in the UK) to our great City
When you say "It's brought nothing but good" what do you mean? are you talking economic good?

RedSalmon

Of course the Luftwaffe bare the greatest responsibility for the City we live In now

What ever damage the Luftwaffe did to the city of Coventry, it is nowhere near the damage Coventry City Council has done to the buildings and history of the city since those air raids.

chiefdave

Cathedral Lanes IS going to be restaurants and bars. Already signed up is Las Iguanas, Latin American restaurant and Wagonmama. They are putting glass fronts in so you will have a nice view across Broadgate and putting in balconies too.

It shows how far behind Coventry is when the like of Las Iguanas and Wagamama coming to the city is being held up as an example of how well the city is doing. How many other cities don't have at least one branch of those chain restaurants?

I'm sure the Uni has done good but the problem is its location, it has no overtaken pretty much the whole city centre and everything done is with students in mind. The city caters for a hugely transient population with little for those who have lived here for many years.

Covstu

I was gutted when i seen the AXA building, looks vile!

The city centre does need to cater for the more other than students, having said that there is a complete lack of good boozers across the city full stop.

Otis

I was gutted when i seen the AXA building, looks vile!

The city centre does need to cater for the more other than students, having said that there is a complete lack of good boozers across the city full stop.

I think it looks okay myself, but they have merely painted the windows black, so god knows what it's going to look like when the paint starts peeling.

Macca

Otis I for once am forced to disagree with you. In a grey city we had 2 buildings with a bit of sparkle, that and the one by the station. Now one is painted a dull northern tower block!
Some of the other uni buildings are all quirky but see them looking bloody awful in a few years. I bet the sports centre seemed like a good idea at the time

Otis

Otis I for once am forced to disagree with you. In a grey city we had 2 buildings with a bit of sparkle, that and the one by the station. Now one is painted a dull northern tower block!
Some of the other uni buildings are all quirky but see them looking bloody awful in a few years. I bet the sports centre seemed like a good idea at the time

No, don't get me wrong, Macca, I much preferred the gold that was there previously. I just don't think what they have done now looks too bad.

It will as it becomes weathered and worn though.

pusbccfc

Doesn't look too bad.

In terms of that stabbing on Saturday night, the main suspects are from Birmingham. Very sad, no one deserves to die that early. Put an awful lot of negative press on Coventry.

ajsccfc

I think in general places are a lot safer, so when something horrible like this happens it stands out even more.

Users who are viewing this thread