Away Support at Brighton (1 Viewer)

superskyblue

This is my first post on this forum. I felt I had to post about the away support at Brighton on Saturday. The majority of the fans were superb, backing the team. In my opinion they put in 100% effort which is really all you can ask for and I think the supporters appreciated their commitment.

As well as the defeat, my day was tarnished by the behaviour of about 15/20 lads sat a few rows in front of me. They were between 16-22 and were behaving like absolute prats. Firstly, they set off a smoke bomb and then when the stewards came to see what it was and check it was safe, they broke into a fight with them where punches were thrown. After this the atmosphere soured, and there were lads kicking chairs and generally behaving like first class idiots. There were about 4/5 young kids sat near me with their parents, who must have been intimidated by their behaviour.

I think it is the single worst thing I have seen from Sky Blues supporters and I have to say that I was humiliated in front of my non-Coventry supporting friends.

Just wondering if this sort of behaviour is common on away days and whether or not the club are likely to be notified of their behaviour by the powers that be at Brighton? I personally would like to see them banned from matches in future, because for me their should be no place in football for behaviour like this.

pusbccfc

Its common at most clubs and most games across the country, sadly every team will have 'yobs' just football and the way people have been brought up in life.

Covstu

no suprise really, there are always lads who are after so trouble, it should not tarnish the good support that we had on saturday.

bamalamafizzfazz

Superskyblue, I agree with your opinion. I don't believe this is common at all games and the way they behaved was disgusting. Of course the stewards were going to come and do something about a smoke bomb/ flair as soon as it's recognised and the reaction from those louts was outrageous. I almost felt the urge to assist the stewards.

I am sorry that your first away experience was tarnished in this way. Please keep with it because in my opinion the away support of the club are the true support. I only manage to get to about 4 away games per season but each and everyone is more special than nearly all home games.

Apart from the game I had a fantastic time on the coast. I love the new ground, the homemade pies were so good I had two! The only issue we encountered was trying to get into places on Saturday night as the news after the trouble at the football travelled through to the city where bouncers were quite wary of the potential trouble from Coventry fans.

skybluesteve76

This is my first post on this forum. I felt I had to post about the away support at Brighton on Saturday. The majority of the fans were superb, backing the team. In my opinion they put in 100% effort which is really all you can ask for and I think the supporters appreciated their commitment.

As well as the defeat, my day was tarnished by the behaviour of about 15/20 lads sat a few rows in front of me. They were between 16-22 and were behaving like absolute prats. Firstly, they set off a smoke bomb and then when the stewards came to see what it was and check it was safe, they broke into a fight with them where punches were thrown. After this the atmosphere soured, and there were lads kicking chairs and generally behaving like first class idiots. There were about 4/5 young kids sat near me with their parents, who must have been intimidated by their behaviour.

I think it is the single worst thing I have seen from Sky Blues supporters and I have to say that I was humiliated in front of my non-Coventry supporting friends.

Just wondering if this sort of behaviour is common on away days and whether or not the club are likely to be notified of their behaviour by the powers that be at Brighton? I personally would like to see them banned from matches in future, because for me their should be no place in football for behaviour like this.

Was this your first away game/football match? It's just lads messing about, it's always happened and always will. I'm not saying that makes it right by the way.

We didn't stay over, but there were many people there that I had not seen before, and I think many were there as it was a day/night out...

I suspect you'll be back to the regulars this Saturday...

bamalamafizzfazz

We didn't stay over, but there were many people there that I had not seen before, and I think many were there as it was a day/night out...

I suspect you'll be back to the regulars this Saturday...

Yeah it was shame really because I didn't get to experience the place as I would have liked. Maybe we should have gone to the places with the rainbow flags above the doors, I am sure they welcome men in large groups :p

superskyblue

No it's by no means my first away experience. I had a season ticket for about 10 years but can't now due to other commitments. I was at Palace earlier this year and there was no trouble like that. In all the city games I've been to, this was the worst I've seen the fans behaving, so from my experience this isn't common. There are always yobs I agree, however, I've never seen them behaving this badly. And agree with your comments RE night out in Brighton, I live in Brighton and it's a cracking night out.

TheBoss

Brighton was a jolly for most, loads of lads were heading down there just for the night out and didnt even attend the match. I imagine these yobs at the match were there for the night too and were prob lashing the beers down early doors. i wouldn't worry about it, football is followed my idiots all over the world and lets face it Coventry has more than its fair share .

WillenhallSkyBlues

Think you'll find the whole trouble with the stewards kicked off as about 6 of em attempted to drag a young lad out who was no taller then 5ft5 and no older then 18,

Smoke bombs have been seen at a few games in the past year, can you blame them to try and get the crowd buzzing,

I supose you have your season ticket in the lloyds stand where you get kicked out if you open a can of pop

rickyCCFC

No need for the stewards to wade in as they did, it was only a smoke bomb. And to say this section of our support should be banned is stupid as in the second half they were the only supporters trying to get behind the team.

WillenhallSkyBlues

Stewards wade in at the ricoh, fans cause a scene its a good thing

Stewards wade in at brighton, fans cause a scene, and they should be banned?

How does that work out?

superskyblue

I would never say it's a good thing at the Ricoh either. I don't understand this Us vs Them battle with the stewards, their main concern is safety and enjoyment for the 99% who aren't complete yobs. The lads weren't getting behind the team at all, they weren't even watching the game. And although it only turned out to be a smoke bomb, the stewards weren't to know that; it could have been anything. Don't think CCFC needs fans like this.

rickyCCFC

Werent getting behind the team?! They were the only ones trying to get an atmosphere going. The rest of the fans on the right hand side didnt want to know, day trippers most probably

steve72

Think you'll find the whole trouble with the stewards kicked off as about 6 of em attempted to drag a young lad out who was no taller then 5ft5 and no older then 18,

Smoke bombs have been seen at a few games in the past year, can you blame them to try and get the crowd buzzing,

I supose you have your season ticket in the lloyds stand where you get kicked out if you open a can of pop
You need smoke bombs to get the crowd buzzing ?

spwaverley4916

I am not supporting any sort of 'kicking off' by supporters or stewards. Some of you on here may not remember the fire at Bradford which killed many supporters. Therefore the stewards have to investigate anything that could cause danger to life they are doing their job - which is mainly making sure people go home at the end of the game.

D

Deleted member 2477

I think you will find its an offence to take any sort of smoke bomb or flare into a football ground.
Im all for trying to get an atmosphere going home or away but not at the expense of jeopardising peoples safety or breaking the law.
It seems that we have a few idiots who are only there to wind up the stewards for a knock and spend most of the game not even watching the team but taunting other fans instead

Big fella

Was not to far away from the trouble, it was much to do about nothing really. A very small number of people, prob been drinking and didn't want their mate thrown out (not that I agree with it).
I agree that the volume of the noise compared to the volume of people we took was not great but to be honest we haven't had much to cheer about recently.
I don’t think we will take that many fans to another away game this year. Also thought it was a nice touch that the stadium announcer announced the number of traveling fans.

skybluesteve76

Was not to far away from the trouble, it was much to do about nothing really. A very small number of people, prob been drinking and didn't want their mate thrown out (not that I agree with it).
I agree that the volume of the noise compared to the volume of people we took was not great but to be honest we haven't had much to cheer about recently.
I don’t think we will take that many fans to another away game this year. Also thought it was a nice touch that the stadium announcer announced the number of traveling fans.

How many were there?

ccfctommy

Went down on the same minubus with these lads in question. They did nothing wrong and the stewards completely over-reacted.

All they did really was let off a smoke bomb, hardly acting like 'yobs'.

Also the lad in question coulden't get in hardly anywhere in Brighton afterwards.

pusbccfc

There was many part timers at the game saturday, I didn't see much of the trouble as I was in the middle.
Once again we take more than a thousand and the atmosphere is abysmal.
At the leeds game, 300 cov fans turned up, that was 10 times louder than on saturday.
Also
WHY OH WHY is there a PUSB every 5minutes.

There was many part timers at the game saturday, I didn't see much of the trouble as I was in the middle.
Once again we take more than a thousand and the atmosphere is abysmal.
At the leeds game, 300 cov fans turned up, that was 10 times louder than on saturday.
Also
WHY OH WHY is there a PUSB every 5minutes.

I could hardly hear them from the brighton stand facing their right.

Last edited:

Bisto

Thought these experiences affected your experience of the Saturday's game there is an 'up-side' As a BHA fan from the North Stand I can say that, though your were not the biggest number of away supporters we have had, you were loud enough to be clearly heard at the far end of the ground and the passion was clearly seen.

Nice to witness.

neilyboy67

still getting my voice back from saturday we had a top night out thumpin head sunday! at half time was avin a beer and another flare was let off as the stewards legged it into our support get on u tube and see the belgrade derby flares everywhere amazing

pusbccfc

Thought these experiences affected your experience of the Saturday's game there is an 'up-side' As a BHA fan from the North Stand I can say that, though your were not the biggest number of away supporters we have had, you were loud enough to be clearly heard at the far end of the ground and the passion was clearly seen.

Nice to witness.

Other than leeds didn't we have the biggest turn out north of london so far?

Users who are viewing this thread