automatic promotion out of reach? (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

the way i work it out we can afford round about 2 draws and 2 losses till end of season if we want to win league

can see us losing bournemouth and notts county perhaps...draws vs sheff utd and brentford.

will be a magnificent achievement if we did win it.

wingy

the way i work it out we can afford round about 2 draws and 2 losses till end of season if we want to win league

can see us losing bournemouth and notts county perhaps...draws vs sheff utd and brentford.

will be a magnificent achievement if we did win it.

And really they are the ones we need to win for the 6 point effect.:thinking about:

covcity4life

And really they are the ones we need to win for the 6 point effect.:thinking about:

well i did the bbc predicitor with those matches going the way i just mused and here is the top 6

1. cov!!!! 90pts
2.donny 88
===
3.sheff u 88
4. bournmouth 87
5.brentford 86
6.mk dons 85

bear in mind bournmouth and donny have game in hand not counted though

still it is possible!

Dan Griffin

Remind me how many years since a top 6 finished, so for that reason.. Am out!! I highly doubt we will get autos but we WILL get in the playoffs this season:D

Faz

Wern't Reading rooted near the bottom of the championship last season for the first month or two?

Of course it's possible to hit automatic promotion. Saying we have not been near the top 6 in ages is hardly a good reason to say it's not possible. This is a different league afterall.

Personally, i think we will finish top half of the table. Anything can happen in football though.. everyone above us could hit a 'blip' at some point. I don't really see any teams in the league that could be run-away winners this season, it's pretty open IMO

Hello all, long time reader on here, but first time poster.

A slow day at work waiting for new year party so thought I'd join in the automatic promotion debate.

Based on points gained so far, current form (over last 10 games) and the continuation of current form until the end of the season, the top 6 would look like this at the end of the season.

Bournemouth 98
Brentford 98
Doncaster 92
Cov 85
MK Dons 81
Tranmere 81

(After the first 8 games I think everyone on here would have taken that !! )

So, for us to get auto promotion means we need to continue current form (2.3 points per match) and hope that Bournemouth, Brentford and Doncaster all slip up (including ideally in the games against us)

In the last 10 years 85 points would have meant automatic promotion 3 times, (and the title once), so based on current form we have a 30% chance of auto promotion.

For the gamblers out there the bookies have us ranging from 3/1 to 6/1 for promotion (either via automatic place or playoff), which represents good value. (A 30% chance is around 23/10)

However, this is all based on form over 10 games and if it was done over 5 games or 15 games things could/would look different, and obviously form over the next 20 odd games will fluctuate for most teams, so don't go betting your house on this!

So, is automatic promotion out of reach? Probably yes, but if form continues playoffs are nailed on and we'll go up that way instead ;)

rupert_bear

Catching back 10 points with half the season still to come is well within reach infact i think we will be in the play-off spots tomorrow night and back us to stay there.There will be unexpected points dropped but over all. I fully expect us to consolidate our position. We are a very different side to that of the early part of the season.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I'd be happy with a top six finish if only to put to sleep that bloody awful record we hold of never finishing in the top six of ANY division for 42 years!!!

Astute

We WILL finish 1st or 2nd.

We don't rely on just 1 or 2 players. Most never had faith we could climb this high.....and that was for the whole season. The players believe they can do it. So should we. Our only defeat in last 13 games was because of a good player. What does MR do? He signs him up for us :D

Paxman II

"Our only defeat in last 13 games was because of a good player. What does MR do? He signs him up for us" :D

Love that!

deanocity3

Sorry to bring up Jimmy Hill again,
But he knew when to buy and when to sell.Bought players in to do a temporary job.
We had Terry Bly 1962-63 season top scorer and scoring for fun,he was sold never to be seen again,in came George Kirby a hat trick on his debut and regular goalscorer,then George Hudson,he became a legend.The fans were in up roar when he was sold to Northampton in 1966,in came a ex england forward in Ray Pointer. With each new forward Hill brought in we made another step forward.
I believe in Mark Robins we have the same,where he knows who he wants to get us to another level and who are past their sell by date.There is always another player waiting to be given the chance to shine,it's a shame that we don't have any young kids in the youth team who would hold there own in the first team.McSheffery was the last youngster to be a regular and it's nearly over 12 years since his debut.

skybluelee

Catching back 10 points with half the season still to come is well within reach infact i think we will be in the play-off spots tomorrow night and back us to stay there.There will be unexpected points dropped but over all. I fully expect us to consolidate our position. We are a very different side to that of the early part of the season.

You reckon pompey will win at swindon then?

Users who are viewing this thread