Autism Test for Adults (1 Viewer)

mechaishida

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...e-test-youre-one-rising-number-condition.html

Since learning that my youngest daughter is likely on the mild end of the spectrum, I've done some research and this test cropped up.

Surprisingly, I scored medium to high, which makes me borderline to mildly Autistic...it makes sense, since I've always had odd obsessions with dates, times, car number plates, symmetry and other things associated with it.

It's reassuring that most adults have adapted their lives to the Autism and some don't even realise they're on the spectrum.

Nick

Administrator
I think the tests now are much better than years ago, I scored average though although I do love a routine!

mechaishida

Yeah, the questions are a tad self defeating, but they're very careful to ensure you don't go away thinking you're Autistic 100%. Like I said, the spectrum is wide and varied, I myself am probably borderline due to my certain obsessive traits. Plus, my old man and uncle both have it mild clinically.

Apparently, a vegan-esque diet but with added meats can, in some cases, ease or cure Autism.

ajsccfc

The average score for the original control group of this test was 16.4 and your score is roughly in line with this, making it highly unlikely that you are suffering from an autistic spectrum disorder

Balls, I was hoping to wangle a few days off work.

wingy

Its common among football managers
They're always trying to get their ducks in a row. :-o

chiefdave

I got 'A higher than average score that is above the clinical threshold'. Do I get time off work for that?

Rory83

I have Asperger's syndrome, which is a high functioning form of Autism. I was pretty full on Autistic as a young child, things have got easier as I've got older but I'm still ruled by my obsessions and ritualistic behaviours. Funnily enough my whole reason for supporting Coventry came about through my Autism. I became seriously obsessive about the club, players and city itself when I was 10 and it has stuck with me ever since. I'm from the East End of London with no connections to Cov whatsoever but the name, the badge, the kits (especially the pony home kit of 94-96) and the random players who've graced the pitch at Highfield Road in particular. I can go on and on about it, but I'll only bore the knickers off you. My obsession with Cov is so intense that having been first diagnosed Autistic when at Junior school, I made a point of seeing a psychiatrist in Coventry for a second opinion/diagnosis in my twenties!

Just got back from Coventry with my Fiance and baby. Yes, I actually holiday in Coventry! Man, this ain't no joke!

mechaishida

I have Asperger's syndrome, which is a high functioning form of Autism. I was pretty full on Autistic as a young child, things have got easier as I've got older but I'm still ruled by my obsessions and ritualistic behaviours. Funnily enough my whole reason for supporting Coventry came about through my Autism. I became seriously obsessive about the club, players and city itself when I was 10 and it has stuck with me ever since. I'm from the East End of London with no connections to Cov whatsoever but the name, the badge, the kits (especially the pony home kit of 94-96) and the random players who've graced the pitch at Highfield Road in particular. I can go on and on about it, but I'll only bore the knickers off you. My obsession with Cov is so intense that having been first diagnosed Autistic when at Junior school, I made a point of seeing a psychiatrist in Coventry for a second opinion/diagnosis in my twenties!

Just got back from Coventry with my Fiance and baby. Yes, I actually holiday in Coventry! Man, this ain't no joke!

Just to satisfy my curiosity, mate, since my youngest is showing signs of mild Autism, did you change your diet at all at any stage? A lot is being thrust on reducing gluten, cacein, wheat and dairy products to ease Autistic's symptoms.

Rory83

I'm fairly rigid where food is concerned, don't get me wrong I eat plenty of healthy food. Definitely look into diet for your kid, because regardless of the autism it'll do them good in the longer term. People on the spectrum often have gut troubles, so gluten free and avoiding overly rich foods can be beneficial on that score alone. Speaking for people at the milder end of the spectrum, I think alot of the difficulties we face we can improve on over time through experience and mentoring. Try and seek a diagnosis when you can, this can take a while but keep at it. If a child is autistic it is paramount that the school are aware and provide all they can to support that child...never let up, harass the life out of them to make sure they don't let your kid go under the radar. All the best.

mechaishida

I'm fairly rigid where food is concerned, don't get me wrong I eat plenty of healthy food. Definitely look into diet for your kid, because regardless of the autism it'll do them good in the longer term. People on the spectrum often have gut troubles, so gluten free and avoiding overly rich foods can be beneficial on that score alone. Speaking for people at the milder end of the spectrum, I think alot of the difficulties we face we can improve on over time through experience and mentoring. Try and seek a diagnosis when you can, this can take a while but keep at it. If a child is autistic it is paramount that the school are aware and provide all they can to support that child...never let up, harass the life out of them to make sure they don't let your kid go under the radar. All the best.

Thanks for that, mate. Much appreciated. :D

blitzer109

mechaishida, my eldest son (nearly 15) is autistic and I would echo what Rory83 has said in that you need a diagnosis as that will open the door to all sorts of help that is just not available otherwise. Get the school involved, ask them to open a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) and then they can invite all kinds of professionals and departments to get involved.

What I don't agree with is the food statement, we are all somewhere on the autistic spectrum and I mean everybody, and diet is not going to help or hinder this. Yes by all means eat healthily for the obvious benefits that this brings but don't be fooled into fad diets. If your daughter is lactose intolerant then by all means introduce a gluten free diet button't do it just because someone wrote on the internet it's good idea.

stupot07

mechaishida, my eldest son (nearly 15) is autistic and I would echo what Rory83 has said in that you need a diagnosis as that will open the door to all sorts of help that is just not available otherwise. Get the school involved, ask them to open a CAF (Common Assessment Framework) and then they can invite all kinds of professionals and departments to get involved.

What I don't agree with is the food statement, we are all somewhere on the autistic spectrum and I mean everybody, and diet is not going to help or hinder this. Yes by all means eat healthily for the obvious benefits that this brings but don't be fooled into fad diets. If your daughter is lactose intolerant then by all means introduce a gluten free diet button't do it just because someone wrote on the internet it's good idea.

Echo both this and what Rory said - diagnosis is key as it helps school and you to identity the right strategies and support. A CAF would be good but you will also need to go to the GP to get a referral to CAMHS, who will do the diagnosis, probably in partnership with a speech and language therapist. Expect quite a bit of a wait. School should put an IEP (Individual Education Plan) outlining the 2-3 strategies they will need to use with your daughter, this will probably have input from an education psychologist. Eventually your child might need an Education, Health and Care Plan (new education statement). it will be a long and frustrating process, but you'll get there in the end.

re: Food, personally I think that's a load of bollocks, autism is about how the brain is wired not what they eat.

good luck

mechaishida

Thanks again for all your input and advice, lads, it's more than appreciated. It's nice to get the perspectives of those who have experience and knowledge on Autism, I'm basically just absorbing as much as I physically can at the moment.

Again, many thanks. All the best. :D

Users who are viewing this thread