Attack & Defence Effectiveness (1 Viewer)

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Saw these graphs on how we fair compared to the rest of the league, and thought they were interesting.

I know we have made a lot of defensive mistakes recently, so that probably occupies people's minds, but I have been saying for ages that we have a problem taking chances in attack. These graphs do go some way to supporting that view. I've posted the two main ones, but you can find a more detailed report and explanation here: Scatter graphics: Championship, 11 Jan 2023

Attack:

1673630952540.png

Defence:

1673630901062.png

slowpoke

I tend to agree we rely too much on Vik, at the moment we have to and not just his goals but the style and way he plays, we need an alternative, could be a fully fit Godden but ideally another plus him to give us options and opposing teams a bloody headache.

hill83

Out of the two options I've given myself for no reason. I'd take wasting chances over not creating them.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

You missed off this one which paints a good picture for us

View attachment 28087

It's a 50,000ft view, whereas the other one is a bit more focussed. Our attack might be busy, which often it is, but it is also branded 'energetically wasteful', which is the deeper and more accurate description of us. Their actual definition of that is: teams that shoot more often than average but are below average at converting them.

We can have a pop at our defence, but concerns over wasting chances are legitimate.

SBAndy

I think the “energetically wasteful” tab is about right. We don’t really create many clear-cut chances and, at times, I do wonder whether we do any work on attacking movement. It’s why I quite like Palmer, as he’s keen to move the ball quickly in the final third whereas a lot of the time we overplay and, before you know it, the opposition defence has had chance to organise.

ceetee

I think where we lack against the better teams is, with the odd exception,
our transition from defence to attack is too ponderous

Hobo

Our results are better when we play one upfront. We concede far less with the extra man in midfield. The trade off is we dont score shed loads of goals.

However if you dont concede you dont lose.... its a good starting point.

Calista

Interesting charts, and I like the terminology. It seems Rotherham are languidly clinical, and competent but busy pushovers.

Esoterica

I should think Gyokeres contributes significantly to the energetically wasteful stat all by himself. Carried the team at time this season but could also have easily scored 20 goals already.

Users who are viewing this thread