Ask otis? (1 Viewer)

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Think it's about time we had a post on queries about train tickets and the best options.Who better to ask than the"Simon Calder" of SBT?Can I kick this off with mine.We 3 generations(4 total).What type of tickets should I get?(Trainline will want to charge the earth) Travelling down no bother youngest grandson leaves work grab carriers with the cans in head for station. Coming back is where it get tricky me rounding up 3 piss artists heading back to Euston don't know what time we'll get there if there's extra time and even the dreaded can't judge.What is our best option ?Thanks in advance.
By the way if you see us there a some wartering hole or other come up and speak love to put a face to the name.Should be able to pick me out i'll be the old geezer with 3 giants.
WARNING wrong information and might play you a visit in June down Kent for friends birthday

Travs

You can still currently get an Off-Peak anytime day return for saturday for £69. Cov-Euston

I doubt anything is going to be better value than that, given the likely chaos at Cov station i wouldn't be wanting to bank on getting a cheaper ticket for a specific train.

Otis

I would say definitely get a Railcard if you can. You only need to make a couple of trips or so a year to get your money back.

If there's a few if you and kids, try the family and friends railcard perhaps. You can save quite a bit.

Otis

And you can use Tesco vouchers to get a Railcard too.

My Railcard was £30, but I got it for £8 by using Clubcard points

I booked mine on Friday. Live in Sutton Coldfield, so getting on a new street. Have reserved seats, but they don’t show as a reservation just states sit in any unreserved seat. Going to be a fun day for any train managers

Otis

I booked mine on Friday. Live in Sutton Coldfield, so getting on a new street. Have reserved seats, but they don’t show as a reservation just states sit in any unreserved seat. Going to be a fun day for any train managers
Yeah, so many train operators now don't do reserved seats. Avanti West do, but I also use Chiltern, Thameslink, South Eastern and West Midlands/London Northwestern and they don't.

I think most don't, so it's every man for himself and women too.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Was only joking Otis the website is telling me that for £102.80 all 4 of us can travel on off peak not fast trains that includes the bus and tube on an off peak travelcard.Hope thats right .

Otis

Was only joking Otis the website is telling me that for £102.80 all 4 of us can travel on off peak not fast trains that includes the bus and tube on an off peak travelcard.Hope thats right .
Yeah. Still sounds a bit steep, but the prices keep going up the closer you get to the travel date.

Good luck.

🤞👍

Otis

Are there any train ticket websites that offer cheaper prices than trainline?
I use TrainPal.

Can be cheaper sometimes and they do show alternative routes that Trainline don't show. I.e. TrainPal will Coventry to London, via Leamington

I always check both and they are pretty aligned, but TrainPal don't charge a booking fee and Trainline do

ovduk78

@Otis, as our resident rail expert should we consider re-nationalising the railways and sort out a more reasonable pricing structure like in most other european countries?

San Francisco

I use TrainPal.

Can be cheaper sometimes and they do show alternative routes that Trainline don't show. I.e. TrainPal will Coventry to London, via Leamington

I always check both and they are pretty aligned, but TrainPal don't charge a booking fee and Trainline do

Got Coventry to New Southgate for £37. Saved me a tenner, you're a legend mate! Much appreciated.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Yeah. Still sounds a bit steep, but the prices keep going up the closer you get to the travel date.

Good luck.

🤞👍
Under £27 each and sit on the floor if we find space.Remember the Check a trade went from Rugby, Cov train come the doors opened and staff had to push some fans back into the carriages to shut the doors.Our train come in from north Leeds I think walked straight on sat in our reserved seats with a table to put the beer on .Heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread