Ashes (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

That's true and awful collapse.

It's not a knee jerk about Finn, I have thought it since he broke through, reminds me of Jimmy when he broke through into the test team, and time playing county cricket helped him get more consistent.

Fair point. It's perhaps a little biased of me but it would be nice to see Woakes and/or Wright get a look-in for an Ashes test either in this series or in a few months' time. Woakes especially is nifty with the bat.

Grendel

Fair point. It's perhaps a little biased of me but it would be nice to see Woakes and/or Wright get a look-in for an Ashes test either in this series or in a few months' time. Woakes especially is nifty with the bat.

Once the series is wrapped up they may try 1 or 2 new players to see how they do. It's a poor Australian batting team. Worst since the mid 80's it will be over after test 3 or 4. There's no test at Headingly is there? That's a chance for them thy have a bowling attack that's good enough and could work on a fast surface. Man for man though they are very much second best.

If root struggles again at lords I suspect crompton in for bairstow.

skybluelee

Finn has to be dropped, it was more than a bad day at the office. His confidence is low. Australia will target him if he plays and we'll just end up over-bowling Jimmy again. Bresnan should play. He can reverse it (although the lush outfield at Lord's may reduce the impact of this) and he obviously bolsters the lower order which is the only area we are inferior to Australia..

skybluelee

He's not really a #11 more a #6 or #7.

300+ will be some total for the Aussies to reach.

Maybe in the future, certainly not now. He caught everybody by surprise with that knock and played with care free abandon. Don't get me wrong it was a wonderful knock (although he should have been given out owhen on 6). Won't happen again in this series. He looked like a lost little boy during most of his 2nd innings when he realised the pressure of the situation he was in. Pattinson is a better bat at the moment. he should be at 8 and Agar at 10 in front of Siddle.

skybluelee

Cook is a fine batsman but looks a poor captain. Plenty of great players (botham, gower, boycott) made bad captains. England should have won this game by 100+ runs. They have looked complacent and poor. Anderson I think may still get them out of jail but its been desperate to watch.

England won the game despite only Anderson and Bell playing better than ok. We have to take heart from that. Australia were excellent by their standards but I don't think there's much more they can offer. Also, had Agar been given out when he had 6 we'd have had an 80-odd run lead and would have won the match at an absolute canter.

England will win this series by at least 2 clear Test's.

Cook isn't a poor captain. He's just a bit too cautious at the moment but over time that will improve. He's still learning the art.

skybluelee

Good lord, please don't tell me you are referring to Luke Wright? You can't be, there must be another one. Although you are from Brighton, so I fear the worse.

Luke Wright? Get a grip, man!

stupot07

Oh I see.

His first class record is absolutely nothing to write home about. So, yes definitely rose-tinted specs on that one.

Michael Vaughan's record first class wasn't particularly special when he was first called up to the England squad... In fact even now it's only a mere 36.95....

Brighton Sky Blue

Good lord, please don't tell me you are referring to Luke Wright? You can't be, there must be another one. Although you are from Brighton, so I fear the worse.

Luke Wright? Get a grip, man!

As pointed out I meant Chris Wright and with his recent back injury this is of course irrelevant anyway. I'm not from Brighton either...

Brighton Sky Blue

Oh I see.

His first class record is absolutely nothing to write home about. So, yes definitely rose-tinted specs on that one.

I didn't mean throw him in for the next Test. I did mean that if the series is sewn up come the 4th or 5th match it might be worth throwing a few outsiders in and seeing how they get on. Wright has been in decent form, as has Woakes-no need for you to get so uppity.

skybluelee

I didn't mean throw him in for the next Test. I did mean that if the series is sewn up come the 4th or 5th match it might be worth throwing a few outsiders in and seeing how they get on. Wright has been in decent form, as has Woakes-no need for you to get so uppity.

Apologies. Didn't mean to come across as uppity!

skybluelee

Michael Vaughan's record first class wasn't particularly special when he was first called up to the England squad... In fact even now it's only a mere 36.95....

Yeah, fair point. Lost my common sense today after scaring myself with the thought of Luke Wright playing test cricket!

Covstu

what away to retain, you would be pissed off if your an aussie or a paying customer today!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread