As I see it (1 Viewer)

PVA

Completely agree with the OP.

The amount of people on here who seem outraged when we lose a game, call Robins shit, call half the squad shit. Its ridiculous. We're going to lose games, quite a few in fact, get used to it.

skybluetony176

Agree with the OP. It’s pretty clear that a small percentage of our fan base need to wake up and take stock of our situation from when MR arrived to where we are now. For the first time in a decade we’re seeing progress on the field and of the field in regards to the football club. He’s doing a great job and if our front line can start finding the back of the net on a more regular basis then sneaking in the playoffs is still a possibility. As it is we’re looking comfortably a top ten team compared to being relegation guaranteed when MR arrived. We’ve been to Wembley twice winning on both occasions, had a very good FA cup run last season knocking out a premier league team on that journey, first top six finish in I’ve forgotten how many decades, far better squad than we had when he arrived and on the whole plenty of reasons to be positive, at least about the things MR is in control of. We haven’t had it this good for generations. Yes it would be good if we had some senior players signed (I’m talking late 20’s and experienced/proven at this level not has been journey men chasing one last payday) but we’re simply not in the position to do so, TM tried that one in his last transfer window with us and we were out of our depth with no support from the owners and we all know how that season panned out. People should put that at the forefront before they start thinking that they’re being clever calling him a taxi.

Captain Dart

When you have crap owners (sometimes even when you don't) you need a bit of luck as well as a handy bit of investment to have everything fit into place.

If I look at Cov from the outside looking in, I see a decent young manager for this level with a bit of pedigree.

A solid enough team when fit, just missing a bit of x factor. If we had a goalscorer we'd be pushing for the title.

He isn't young, he is 50 next year and he has been in management for 12 years with only 1 promotion.
Having said that maybe he has finally got the hang of the job and may still deliver this season or next.

Wiseoldfool

For me you have to look at the bigger picture.MR has laid foundations for the future by establishing a proper scouting system.Recruiting not just for the first team,but the development squad and the academy.Sure I find his tactics strange and question his substitutions at times but as a club we are far stronger as a club than before he came.Having said that its first team results that he'll be judged on.

ccfcway

He isn't young, he is 50 next year and he has been in management for 12 years with only 1 promotion.

and that was the only promotion i have seen in my lifetime as a CCFC fan. Add that to the only cup win i have seen in my adult lifetime as a CCFC and he has a fair bit of grace from me to do the job and occasionally get some things wrong

Winny the Bish

I'm delighted with where we are considering the shitstorm Slade left us in BUT...I wish we had a bit more identity and positivity to our play.

Robins sets us out every game to spend the 1st 45 mins on the defensive, no matter if we're playing bottom of the league at home, and then try to nick the game in the 2nd half. We will NEVER get promoted from L1 while this is our mentality. We need some midfielders who can control possession for us and not just lump it into the channels (cough Doyle cough). I sincerely hope MR just wanted to use this season to stay up, and then build from here in the summer and bring in the players who can play better football.

Fans are allowed to be happy with where we are, but also want more.

better days

OP spot on
In an ideal world we'd all want another promotion this season but maybe a year of consolidation would help Robins set up a sustainable squad that has a chance of staying in the Championship when we do get there
Others have mentioned the example of Portsmouth who have followed a similar strategy
They've previously made all the classic mistakes of taking on huge liabilities to chase success which worked in the short term but ultimately almost destroyed them

Rory83

I'm delighted with where we are considering the shitstorm Slade left us in BUT...I wish we had a bit more identity and positivity to our play.

Robins sets us out every game to spend the 1st 45 mins on the defensive, no matter if we're playing bottom of the league at home, and then try to nick the game in the 2nd half. We will NEVER get promoted from L1 while this is our mentality. We need some midfielders who can control possession for us and not just lump it into the channels (cough Doyle cough). I sincerely hope MR just wanted to use this season to stay up, and then build from here in the summer and bring in the players who can play better football.

Fans are allowed to be happy with where we are, but also want more.

Totally agree with that and it is a valid criticism of MR's tactics. Being so defensive is great when you are playing genuinely good opposition but our approach to the first half yesterday made Scunthorpe look far better than they are. We looked fearful and rushed when we did have the ball, we were continually on the back foot.

What baffled me was his post match comments about us needing to play without fear and just go for it from the off. Maybe he should tell the players. If we can change our approach and be more positive and aggressive then I really think we could make a late surge into the playoffs, absolutely.

Users who are viewing this thread