Article in today's Observer (1 Viewer)

Super Graham Withey

A good piece today in The Observer, written by Daniel Taylor, Sports Journalust of the Year. Its title is 'SISU elephant still in the room at Coventry'. He concludes (rightly) that SISU's tenure has been a shambles and given that SISU do not seem concerned about finding a way out he wonders what the next 10 years might bring for a once-proud club. Our demise does not go unnoticed on a national level, I think we forget that sometimes.

Gazolba

How about a link to the article, or is it paid subscription only?

oucho

Les Reid would choke before writing any such thing.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
This is the article by Daniel Taylor in the Observer / Guardian

José Mourinho is having to tackle his biggest challenge as a manager | Daniel Taylor

Sisu elephant still in room at Coventry

The latest update from Newcastle United about Mike Ashley’s proposed sale of the club sounds like encouraging news for all of us who have wondered over the years how long it might be before a sense of normality breaks out at one of our great old clubs.

Yet Newcastle are not the only club who could desperately do with a change and let’s not forget poor old Coventry City down in League Two and the continuing damage inflicted by the Sisu regime dragging them through a hedge fund backwards.

The last week has seen Sisu chalk up its 10th anniversary at the club but nobody in Coventry was celebrating the milestone. Just as a small example of the expertise brought to the club, these were the bright sparks, remember, who wanted to bring in a “text-a‑substitute” option for supporters to make the manager’s decisions during matches.

Coventry were a fine club when I was growing up and a fixture in England’s top division. The last decade has been spent rubbernecking in their direction and can probably be epitomised by the time one of Sisu’s representatives, Onye Igwe, interrupted a board meeting when they were supposed to be discussing the club’s perilous finances to complain that Sky Blue Sam, the mascot, was too fat and not setting a good example to children. “Onye, it’s a fucking elephant” – the response of the former chairman, Ray Ranson – would be a fine title for any book of the Sisu years.

The more important detail is that Sisu’s watch includes the indignity of Coventry making a 68-mile round trip to Sixfields, Northampton Town’s ground, to play “home” matches for just over a season and the relegations that mean “Play up, Sky Blues” is now heard in the fourth tier of English football. It has been, put bluntly, a shambles and the most jarring part is that, unlike Newcastle, the people at the top do not seem to be that concerned about finding a way out. Until that changes, you have wonder what the next 10 years might bring for a once‑proud club.

There are of course other articles about CCFC on that website

Last edited:

letsallsingtogether

Bet it took all of his journatlisic skills and experience to work that out!
Must off, Les is still searching for it and he is an award winning jerno.

He still thinks they are the best thing to have happened to this Club.

mechaishida

"Onye, it's a fucking elephant"

Put yourself in that board meeting...where could they go after that announcement?

I bet Ranson did a day-long facepalm, though.

Captain Dart

"Onye, it's a fucking elephant"

Put yourself in that board meeting...where could they go after that announcement?

I bet Ranson did a day-long facepalm, though.

Offer some buns round the table.

Nick

Administrator
Onye and orange Ken could easily have slotted into phonejacker.

Text a sub wouldn't have been a bad idea based on some of our managers. I'd have been skint through the thorn era.

Users who are viewing this thread