Article about the first game at the Ricoh and Doyle kicking off! (1 Viewer)

I was eleven in 87

I remember thinking that the teams coming out was slightly delayed and that something must have gone on and I said to me Dad at the time.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I’m sure they were kicking off as they came out the tunnel, I’m sure even the qpr mascot (furry type not child) was involved!?

SuperFred

I think we were 2-0 up and there was some trouble in the stands so the game stopped and Ian Holloway, the QPR manager, got hold of the microphone and was trying to calm things down but it didn’t help that the security people were battering our fans around the head with batons."

I have no recollection of this at all, was anyone there?

Nick

Administrator
I think we were 2-0 up and there was some trouble in the stands so the game stopped and Ian Holloway, the QPR manager, got hold of the microphone and was trying to calm things down but it didn’t help that the security people were battering our fans around the head with batons."

I have no recollection of this at all, was anyone there?

Sounds like that was in Ibiza rather than the Ricoh/

Adge

Good insight from Claus. Interestingly as mentioned, he is now involved at Tamworth and was speaking to him after a game I was involved in where he was coaching their academy. Asked him about that goal(first goal at the Ricoh) and what was the celebration all about!?
He laughed about it and said at the time he didn’t know what to do but said “I made a bit of an Idiot of myself with that one!”:D

colin101

I was there. Something like 750 pissed up QPR fans arrived that day for the the final of the Ibiza Cup in 2005. As the Stadium only had a stand on one side of the ground all the fans were together. We were 2-0 up when it all kicked off at half time and Riot Police came into the ground with batons raised. As Fred said Holloway went onto the pitch and gave a speech asking for the fans to calm down,
The match then restarted QPR got the score back to 2-2 and it appeared some deal had been done so that the match would be a draw and then QPR scored a third goal and won the tournament.
Have to say we got out of the ground double quick as the atmosphere was toxic

Cov kid 55

I remember it all kicking off at the pre season game in Ibiza. Can't remember any problems at the first Ricoh game.
There was a problem at the first Ricoh game. It was a full house and the two sets of fans were goading each other the whole time as a result of the trouble in Ibiza. About halfway through the second half, a hundred or so fans from each side got up and left the stands to settle their differences on the concourse outside.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

There was a problem at the first Ricoh game. It was a full house and the two sets of fans were goading each other the whole time as a result of the trouble in Ibiza. About halfway through the second half, a hundred or so fans from each side got up and left the stands to settle their differences on the concourse outside.

That was it!

Wasn’t the crowd restricted to about 21/23k!?

Remember going up to a training evening at the ground the week before where they wanted as many fans as possible so they could practise safety drills etc and the evening ended with us all having to do an emergency evacuation!

Cov kid 55

That was it!

Wasn’t the crowd restricted to about 21/23k!?

Remember going up to a training evening at the ground the week before where they wanted as many fans as possible so they could practise safety drills etc and the evening ended with us all having to do an emergency evacuation!
Yes you’re right, the ground only had a partial safety certificate, so the capacity was restricted for that game. Would that we could regularly get 20k plus now, eh?

chiefdave

Yes you’re right, the ground only had a partial safety certificate, so the capacity was restricted for that game. Would that we could regularly get 20k plus now, eh?
Was down the stadium being completed late wasn't it. Meant no pre-season games as test events so the capacity got restricted.

Cov kid 55

Was down the stadium being completed late wasn't it. Meant no pre-season games as test events so the capacity got restricted.
That’s right, and reading I.S.S.S’s post, it looks like there was a panic to get the season started at the Ricoh.

Tommo72

First crowd was 23,000.

Yeh Ibiza, was trouble for the whole stay and they fancied trying to have a go at City cos they outnumbered us. Was lots of lads out there for the crack....Never liked QPR tbh, some proper kick offs with them in the 80’s and 90’s.

Nick

Administrator
You would have thought alarm bells would have gone off as soon as someone suggested a pre-season trip to Ibiza.

You mean they didn't think this?

vengaboys-o.gif

rondog1973

I was there. Something like 750 pissed up QPR fans arrived that day for the the final of the Ibiza Cup in 2005. As the Stadium only had a stand on one side of the ground all the fans were together. We were 2-0 up when it all kicked off at half time and Riot Police came into the ground with batons raised. As Fred said Holloway went onto the pitch and gave a speech asking for the fans to calm down,
The match then restarted QPR got the score back to 2-2 and it appeared some deal had been done so that the match would be a draw and then QPR scored a third goal and won the tournament.
Have to say we got out of the ground double quick as the atmosphere was toxic
Good account but if you remember Colin, McSheffrey scored a perfectly legit goal at 2-1 that was disallowed with 80 odd minutes gone. This fuelled the rumours that the game was hastily 'arranged' to satisfy QPR's greater numbers.

Cov numbers were swelled for the fixture at Loftus Rd as I recall, some looking to exact revenge.

Think we did the double over them for the following 3 seasons.

Skyblueweeman

Can someone copy and paste the article from the CET? I got a few lines down and then a pop up came up and wanted to me watch a video for at least 6 seconds to read the rest of the article.

What a truly awful, un-user friendly site that is.

colin101

Good account but if you remember Colin, McSheffrey scored a perfectly legit goal at 2-1 that was disallowed with 80 odd minutes gone. This fuelled the rumours that the game was hastily 'arranged' to satisfy QPR's greater numbers.

Cov numbers were swelled for the fixture at Loftus Rd as I recall, some looking to exact revenge.

Think we did the double over them for the following 3 seasons.
Really strange day with lots of QPR fans turning up during the day intent on drinking anything and then the night and the match culminating in the Riot Police. We arrived on the Sunday and got on well with the Huddersfield supporters around San Antonio and didn't see any trouble until the QPR match. As I said the feeling was a deal was done to quieten down the QPR fans by letting them score a couple of goals however someone didn't follow the script. And if memory serves as you say McSheffrey's goal was a good one. Needless to say We kept well away from the West End that night.
My other thought that night was don't mess with the Spanish Police cos they didn't care who they hit

Users who are viewing this thread