Armistice Day (1 Viewer)

SkyBlueDom26

Wonderfully moving video..

“They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them.”

Astute

My family is in France. The whole country comes to a standstill. The schools and most businesses are closed today. It is a full day of remembrance and then celebration. It makes our Sunday look low key. Even most villages have their own service.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

My family is in France. The whole country comes to a standstill. The schools and most businesses are closed today. It is a full day of remembrance and then celebration. It makes our Sunday look low key. Even most villages have their own service.

France lost almost an entire generation in WWI. Commonly believed the reason they surrendered in WWII was because they had so few people to fight. Our losses were huge. For the French they were almost catastrophic. Which considering the entire thing was effectively a family argument between the heads of the Russian, German and British royal families seems a bit unfair.

Grendel

We are spending Armistice Day by berating a potential Prime Minister for wanting to be cautious about going to war or committing genocide for revenge.

We’ve already forgotten.

What a complete arsehole you are. Trying to make a political point out of a point of poignancy - seriously go fuck your self

shmmeee

Jesus Christ.

He’d also be berated, yes.

My grandad wrote a book about his time fighting in WW2 for my and my sister. I did not get the impression that the lesson he wanted us to learn was “fuck up some foreigners”. The jingoistic nature of modern remembrance is a disgrace to the memory of people like him. Bunch of small idiots wearing his generations achievements as their own to push an ideal they’ve never have agreed with.

Sky Blue Pete

It’s true we don’t have to go very far back at all. Look at the fall of Tito and the Bosnian war. We may do it by proxy but we do forget. Was talking to my 12 year old on Sunday when walking a dog. I’ve often wondered why we don’t remember wars before ww1 and we started talking about the Boer War. We probably wouldn’t come out of that with the same sense of glory I suppose. We were also talking about peace not just being the absence of war but far far harder than that. It may be I’m losing my mind but I can’t square poignant remembrance with selling arms to Saudi Arabia to bomb Yemen to hell

Grendel

He’d also be berated, yes.

My grandad wrote a book about his time fighting in WW2 for my and my sister. I did not get the impression that the lesson he wanted us to learn was “fuck up some foreigners”. The jingoistic nature of modern remembrance is a disgrace to the memory of people like him. Bunch of small idiots wearing his generations achievements as their own to push an ideal they’ve never have agreed with.

You really have crossed a line and in all seriousness I’d ban you - it’s beyond disgusting

Grendel

It’s true we don’t have to go very far back at all. Look at the fall of Tito and the Bosnian war. We may do it by proxy but we do forget. Was talking to my 12 year old on Sunday when walking a dog. I’ve often wondered why we don’t remember wars before ww1 and we started talking about the Boer War. We probably wouldn’t come out of that with the same sense of glory I suppose. We were also talking about peace not just being the absence of war but far far harder than that. It may be I’m losing my mind but I can’t square poignant remembrance with selling arms to Saudi Arabia to bomb Yemen to hell

here we go

shmmeee

It’s funny how hard it is for us to grasp what peace actually means isn’t it?

We all want to remember the dead and wear a poppy, far fewer want to act towards a world where there’s fewer dead to remember in the future. In which case, what are we remembering for exactly? The fact the idea of actually being peaceful gets such a reaction tells you all you need to know about how many lessons we’ve learned.​

Grendel

It’s funny how hard it is for us to grasp what peace actually means isn’t it?

We all want to remember the dead and wear a poppy, far fewer want to act towards a world where there’s fewer dead to remember in the future. In which case, what are we remembering for exactly? The fact the idea of actually being peaceful gets such a reaction tells you all you need to know about how many lessons we’ve learned.​

Yeah so let’s applaud a potential prime minister and his deputy who openly declared war on British citizens and cared not a jot how many died and who openly has supported anti Israel terrorist organisations purely as his ideology is hating the US who ensured we live as we now do. Only you could start an idiotic debate on an innocent thread of commemoration - you really are a spiteful nasty idiot

Grendel

Here we go the old our brave soldiers fought for freedom but I’ll decide what you can use that freedom for!

he used it as an argument for Jeremy Corbyn and you started blabbing on about Saudi Arabia its extraordinary

Sky Blue Pete

he used it as an argument for Jeremy Corbyn and you started blabbing on about Saudi Arabia its extraordinary
Blabbing. It’s called discussion Grendel. I can no longer square it. Good for you that you can. I admire the double standards I really do.

NorthernWisdom

I agree it should be apolitical on this board, as much as anything can be.

In defence, in previous years loads of people have made it political by using it as an opportunity to jump on various well-known people and their decisions, even if those decisions turned out not to be as represented. tbf, that hasn't happened this year (yet!) so I would have considered that progress myself, and just left it be unless and until that cropped up.

Ah well.

Grendel

Blabbing. It’s called discussion Grendel. I can no longer square it. Good for you that you can. I admire the double standards I really do.

Again the post that discussed this was supporting a potential prime minister who along with his shadow chancellor made a speech that bombs and bullets which killed UK citizens were prices worth paying - nothing to do with selling arms to the Saudis which by the way every country in Europe does

NorthernWisdom

As an aside, the consequences went beyond WW1 itself. Sometimes people suffered for years after and, because they died after the time limit, they weren't memorialised. Here's one example, father of a famous boxer

Lionel Fitzherbert Turpin

It's good that there's redress in the modern age, and the heroes who were forgotten by chance can be remembered, too.

Sky Blue Pete

As an aside, the consequences went beyond WW1 itself. Sometimes people suffered for years after and, because they died after the time limit, they weren't memorialised. Here's one example, father of a famous boxer

Lionel Fitzherbert Turpin

It's good that there's redress in the modern age, and the heroes who were forgotten by chance can be remembered, too.
Was reading about how the unknown soldier was decided so no one would know who it was and it could be any one of say 600000 people that had died in the war to end all wars. I’ll try and find it it was really interesting!

thanks for this really interesting

NorthernWisdom

Was reading about how the unknown soldier was decided so no one would know who it was and it could be any one of say 600000 people that had died in the war to end all wars. I’ll try and find it it was really interesting!

thanks for this really interesting
My Great(?) Grandfather was gassed. My Dad doesn't speak much about his family, but remembers going to see him, the struggles he had breathing, years after the event in the 1950s, and how he was bed ridden half the time before dying early himself.

To me, I can mark the bravery of people who put themselves in positions we can only pray we do not have to. The politics can be irrelevant to the people, it's not them who made decisions, whether you view those decisions as good or bad, right or wrong.

Sky Blue Pete

Librarian of Auschwitz is next on my list. Any good? Trying to get a trip sorted to the Auschwitz/Birkenau tour.
Very powerful. They all are. Friends worked in Mostar after the war and we went for 2 weeks doing some kids work. If it can happen there on our doorstep it can happen anywhere. Sobbed a bit throughout

Tommo1993

Very powerful. They all are. Friends worked in Mostar after the war and we went for 2 weeks doing some kids work. If it can happen there on our doorstep it can happen anywhere. Sobbed a bit throughout

I’m desperate to go (sounds awfully weird). Keep going to do a last(ish) minute thing - flights to Krakow etc. But every time we do, something goes wrong with money. £600 on my car this month, bloody hell. But definitely next year.

Sky Blue Pete

I’m desperate to go (sounds awfully weird). Keep going to do a last(ish) minute thing - flights to Krakow etc. But every time we do, something goes wrong with money. £600 on my car this month, bloody hell. But definitely next year.
I genuinely don’t think I’d cope. My brain couldn’t compartmentalise the experience. Just read in one of the books that in a Serbian nazi camp the guards would compete each day to see who could kill the most prisoners for prizes. What happens to us?

Astute

We are spending Armistice Day by berating a potential Prime Minister for wanting to be cautious about going to war or committing genocide for revenge.

We’ve already forgotten.
You are a nasty piece of work. What a stupid comment to make just so you can big up someone who you admit isn't fit to be prime minister.

Family were glad they went. Even the younger children learned a lot. Afterwards it was back to the Mairie's place for wine, stories and speeches. It won't be forgotten in a hurry. It was the same all over France.

Let's not forget? Not a chance. My Grandad saved a lot of people. Won't go into it too much. But he joined the navy at 15 saying he was 18. Then the war started. He was on 3 ships that got sunk. He was on the Ark Royal when it went down. He saved several people that day. Ended up getting pulled out of the water exhausted. Found it out from someone else. He had hundreds of photo's all marked secret not to be shown. I pay my respect to him and others each year.

Forget? Never. This is near where my wife and younger kids live.

An Irishman’s Diary on the Oradour-sur-Glane massacre

Users who are viewing this thread