Aresnal fans supporting Coventry! (1 Viewer)

Fluffsta

I thought I would copy and paste something from a football forum on Facebook I just read.

This Friday, we play Coventry City in the FA Cup, in front of a TV audience. Many of you will know that Coventry are experiencing a range of off the field issues at the moment - which mean they are playing their ‘home’ games in Northampton (35 miles away from Coventry). There is disagreement even among City fans about who exactly is to blame - but as is too often the case, the fans are the ones who suffer most. A good (and, as we understand, fairly balanced) article on the topic is here.

Understandably, Coventry City fans groups want to use the exposure of our game to draw attention to their plight – and REDaction have been working behind the scenes with the main Coventry fan groups to help with their preparations. We have used our contacts at Arsenal to help get approval for their banners to be brought into the stadium; and we wanted to also take the opportunity to line as many Arsenal fans as possible up in support of the Coventry fans.

After 35 minutes of the game, Coventry fans plan to sing a song asking “why” they are playing ‘home’ games away from home. And after 61 minutes, they will sing a song asking “when” they will return to Coventry. At both of these points, we are calling on all Arsenal fans to stand and applaud our visitors, to show support for their campaign.

Ultimately, some issues are bigger than “my club, your club”, and the situation facing Coventry at the moment is one that should be of concern to all football fans. We are proud to support our fellow fans in their campaign to bring Coventry home.

REDaction

Fantastic. When all fans stick together with a unified aim, we can make a difference. This will help our profile.

As a sub text, we Sky Blues fans whether NOPM or a Sixfielder , should all remember that we will all need to have that common aim. City back in Coventry!! If that could be made clear when we play in Northampton and at every away match, we might start to have more influence.

BurbageSkyBlues

Have you got a link to the Facebook forum, so that we can share it to the world?

This could spread rapidly on Facebook....

Cheers flufsta

The CableGuy

Respect!

Classy fans, Classy club. Hope they go on to win the league (IMO only Man City's firepower can prevent that).

Hobo

Arsenal fans that would be fantastic

mindgames

Great stuff. Unfortunately, if you follow the link through to the actual forum it's posted on, the first response is:

I would prefer to respond to them with:

"Shall we buy a ground for you"
"Northampton, and you know you are"
"s*** club, no ground"

skybluelee

Great stuff. Unfortunately, if you follow the link through to the actual forum it's posted on, the first response is:

I would prefer to respond to them with:

"Shall we buy a ground for you"
"Northampton, and you know you are"
"s*** club, no ground"

To be fair that is almost certainly from a pimply 14 year old so I wouldn't read much into it.

RPHunt

***Forget it, just seen that it has already been linked to.

There are a lot of Arsenal fan forums. I have just been sent this link to one of the more popular ones:

http://www.onlinearsenal.com/content.php?300-Arsenal-vs-Coventry-More-than-a-game-for-Sky-Blues

Here is the first bit and it is worth following the link for the rest.

This week sees the first ever Friday night game at the Emirates and the visit of the Sky Blues sees a repeat of last season's Capital One Cup 3rd Round tie which in Arsenal came out 6-1 victors. With The Gunners focussing solely on victory and a passage into the next round, Coventry fans will have off-pitch matters on their mind.

Some readers may have seen the plight of our next opponents in the media over recent times, most notably this season as the club have been forced to play their home games at Northampton's Sixfields stadium, 35 miles away from the Ricoh Arena.

Many parties are involved in this and it's fair to say, they don't all get along. The main 'baddie' in the story being Coventry City's current owners - Sisu, a hedge fund using money from anonymous investors and who seem determined to get their own way.

As such, the Coventry fans are planning to make their voices heard on Friday night, before and during the game with a series of protests against their current situation. With the game being shown LIVE on BTSport, they should have a good platform to shout from.

Last edited:

ricohroar

Instead of standing to applaud, maybe someone could request they join in with a few SISU OUT chants??

spwaverley4916

To be fair that is almost certainly from a pimply 14 year old so I wouldn't read much into it.

we can all chant back - south of the river you should be south of the river - however if he is only 14 he would not know what was meant.

shall we buy a ground for you - yes please if you have the cash.
Northampton and you know you are - Tottenham and you know you are
s*** club, no ground - new ground, no plans, new ground no plans

wingy

we can all chant back - south of the river you should be south of the river - however if he is only 14 he would not know what was meant.

shall we buy a ground for you - yes please if you have the cash.
Northampton and you know you are - Tottenham and you know you are
s*** club, no ground - new ground, no plans, new ground no plans

Not forgetting ,

Never got Promoted
But were Planted.

RPHunt

Was also sent this snippet from an Arsenal forum discussing the Coventry game.

1st Gooner: "Destroy them, burn their homes".
2nd Gooner: "We'll have to settle for destroying as they don't have a home to burn"

Fluffsta

For anybody asking for the link to the post it is a private Facebook group called Shoot the Defense. They also do a live Thursday night podcast and have always backed our cause with NOPM and KCIC.
They could do with a few more Coventry fans in their Facebook group! They talk world football and have some great mature debates. They are even looking for Cov fans to phone in tomorrow ahead of the Arsenal game.

Join Shoot the Defense below and ill get a admin to add everybody to the group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/324476380976395/

RoboCCFC90

They have my total respect for that, fantastic from RedAction.

NO! "SISU out" is an entirely different issue to KCIK & to NOPM.

PUSB

thought it was a good suggestion myself, a massive majority want them out, so why not ask arsenal fans if theyll join in?

also as permission has been sorted for banners how about a couple of big sisu out, nopm or kcic ones

Sterling Archer

Just so we're clear, if we score in either the 35th or 61st minute I am going to celebrate the goal like a mentalist. Please don't think this in any way is a sign of me condoning the move to Northampton.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Anyone know if there'll be a "live stream"?

dadgad

That's brilliant and a sensible and measured tone too. Always had a soft spot for the Arse, fair play.

Monners

We can expect pletny of this tomorrow by the sounds of it (from the Goonersworld forum):

"Supposedly, the Northampton fans are going to be protesting at 35 and 61 minutes in. REDaction called for use to applaud them, I'd prefer to mock them with "shall we buy a ground for you" or "Northampton, and you know you are"."

Users who are viewing this thread