Are you a fast eater (1 Viewer)

Evo1883

So as part of my diet I've decided that eating slowly will benefit me in terms of how much I eat and digestive issues .

I've always eaten like it would be my last ever meal and basically inhaled my food... and have always suffered as a Consequence .

I just read slow eaters are 42% less likely to be obese

That being said trying to make yourself eat slow after a lifetime of not doing so is harder than it looks 🤣

But figured it will help in the long term and then naturally become second nature

pastythegreat

So as part of my diet I've decided that eating slowly will benefit me in terms of how much I eat and digestive issues .

I've always eaten like it would be my last ever meal and basically inhaled my food... and have always suffered as a Consequence .

That being said trying to make yourself eat slow after a lifetime of not doing so is harder than it looks
Im a very fast eater. Probably (like with you) stems back to phase 1 training where you'd be sent in to the scoff house and given 20mins for the whole platoon to get in and fed and back out again! You learn to eat lots and quickly and back out again
I do tend to eat overly pmbigbportiins now, and its probably mainly down to the speed that I eat it because 20mons after dinner I feel really uncomfortable. Eat slower, eat less, lose weight and feel more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Evo1883

Im a very fast eater. Probably (like with you) stems back to phase 1 training where you'd be sent in to the scoff house and given 20mins for the whole platoon to get in and fed and back out again! You learn to eat lots and quickly and back out again
I do tend to eat overly pmbigbportiins now, and its probably mainly down to the speed that I eat it because 20mons after dinner I feel really uncomfortable. Eat slower, eat less, lose weight and feel more comfortable.

I think phase 1 training played a part yes 😆

Evo1883

giphy.gif

pastythegreat

Haha my younger brother was like this ,no chewing .
Anything malleable sucked straight down.
I chew, when I hit the bones, id choke on them otherwise anything else pretty much gets inhaled like you say.

wingy

...same....plus my brother was a fucking gannet who'd nick stuff off my plate.....jammed a fork in his hand when I was 11.....hes still got the scar.....as have I from the retaliation that followed.....
Hahaha.
Just a carving knife sticking into the sideboard in our house after whizzing passed my side.lol

bringbackrattles

When my son lived with me at my old address a few years back I couldn't believe how fast he ate his meals. I never noticed when he was younger, but this is a bloke in his early 30's eating food as if he hadn't eaten in days ! He could devour a plate of food in a couple of minutes, whatever it was hot and spicy,or a plate of sandwiches, it was gone in a flash. And at 37 he is still the same, so doubt if he'll slow up now. 🤔

jimmyhillsfanclub

When my son lived with me at my old address a few years back I couldn't believe how fast he ate his meals. I never noticed when he was younger, but this is a bloke in his early 30's eating food as if he hadn't eaten in days ! He could devour a plate of food in a couple of minutes, whatever it was hot and spicy,or a plate of sandwiches, it was gone in a flash. And at 37 he is still the same, so doubt if he'll slow up now. 🤔

Apologies if incorrect BBR, but your son enjoyed a smoke didn't he?......them munchies can do that to a man!

bringbackrattles

Apologies if incorrect BBR, but your son enjoyed a smoke didn't he?......them munchies can do that to a man!
Unfortunately he still does ! He's tried to stop it but keeps going back on it. I say unfortunately because a lot of his money goes on baccy and weed, then it's down to me to financially help him out. But he is a grafter and works hard when he's employed, and hes a grown man, so what can you do. When he lived with me he couldn't work out how I can drink in pubs and enjoy a few ciggies, but just stop and not bother for weeks.

skyblue1991

I used to make huge evening meals after the gym a few times a week thinking I was hungry (circa 1500 calories) but its because I was eating too quickly

Your body needs about 15 mins to react to the food you have swallowed and to react to how much more hungry you are. What I was doing was eating too quickly so by the time my body had processed it I would say half was all I needed but by that point I ate it all so my body stored it as fat.

As someone who is relatively slim build, I put on 2 stone in about a year!

So yes it makes a big difference. I now eat slower and only consume enough to satisfy the hunger.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk

Terry_dactyl

Yeah I’m a rapid eater. I watched some dieting programme on the telly a few years back. They Split people into teams and tried different ways of losing weight. The only thing I can remember is that one of the teams in it used a Victorian diet where they chewed each mouthful of food 30 times...that’s all. They didn’t change their diet particularly I don’t think. Anyway, I think that team lost the most weight.
Try chewing your food 30 times! Impossible.

pastythegreat

I eat really fast.

How do you teach yourself to eat slow? No time to mess about
This.... I've got far too much other shit going on to sit at the dinner table for 30mins when I can be done in 10.

shmmeee

I’ve always eaten fast. Finish my plate before others are half way through.

never got anything to work, but was always told chew your food 100 times before swallowing. Seems ridiculous but I’ve got a friend that eats like a tortoise on ket and he’s not got an ounce of fat on him despite never eating vegetables so maybe there’s something in it.

bringbackrattles

On the window round today I've drank mugs of tea quick, and biscuits and cake eaten fast too. So I can get on with cleaning the windows in case the rain comes again. But at home I take my time more when drinking and eating, but when younger looking back I'd be quick and be out and about in no time.

Malaka

This is interesting. Paul McKenna (TV Hypnotist) advocated this for his weight loss patients. Apparently us fast scoffers are inclined to put on weight because we eat more than we need because our brain does not have enough time to tell you that you have eaten enough. Slowing down the eating process allows you stomach to compute to your brain that you are full. (I still eat fast and I am a fat bastard)

wingy

I eat fast. Really dislike eating food that isn't hot.
Yes definitely a consideration ,mind that scalded palate/gullet !
Mine has invariably become tepid at the end, don't really have a problem with this but it does spoil for me a big roast/Christmas etc.
Although a Sunday roast is so so rare these days, shame really!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I eat hot meals fast because, well, I want them while they're hot!

Starting to slow down now and trying to eat junk like crisps, chocolate and biscuits one at a time rather than say ram a handful of crisps in in one go or just put the whole biscuit in in one go.

Kneeza

Like others, I like my hot food ( and drinks) hot, so tend to wolf it.
I'm sure, though, that it hasn't helped my waistline over the years, and have often tried, and failed, to eat slowly.
A very good friend of mine always ate frustratingly slowly, and we were always twiddling our thumbs waiting for him to finish a course so we could get onto the next, but he was about eight-stone wet-through, so perhaps it works?
I say 'ate' as he passed a couple of years ago - too many fags, so perhaps the stuff they say about that is also true?

Users who are viewing this thread