Are we the worst team to support in England? (1 Viewer)

So after mulling over why coventry had chosen me to be one of their loyal supporters I was wondering, are we the hardest team to support in England - dare I say it, the world?

No top 6 finish in 43 years
No promotion in 46 years
One Major trophy.

Other contenders...
Premier league - well none because they're in the premier league.

Championship - Teams in here either have come down from Prem or been promoted in recent years.

League 1 -
Portsmouth. Financial trouble seen then drop from prem to league 2 (it would seem) yet fans are still quality. They did have a sustained period in prem, won the FA cup and got into Europe.

Oldham - been in this league since 1997, although have been in 2 play off finals since then.

League 2

Barnet - bounced between conference and league 2, only in recent years consistently just avoiding the drop.

Any other suggestions?

Sorry for such a depressing thread! PUSB

SBS

The only team who consistently disappoint like Cov is the national team. Stuck with both!

LastGarrison

Although it feels like it sometimes you have to say no.

We have won the biggest trophy in English football, we also spent an awful long time in the top flight playing the countrys best week in, week out and were fortunate enough to see some very good players play in Sky Blue over the years.

I'm sure a lot of teams would take that over a top 6 finish in the third division (for example).

jimmyhillsfanclub

Don't be so self-indulgent....

...There are plently of English league teams that have never won anything & never even graced the top flight....EVER!

skybluegod

We have won the biggest trophy in English football, we also spent an awful long time in the top flight playing the countrys best week in, week out and were fortunate enough to see some very good players play in Sky Blue over the years.

I'm sure a lot of teams would take that over a top 6 finish in the third division (for example).

No we haven't won the biggest trophy in English football? We haven't won the prem? Unless you mean domestic trophy?

ajsccfc

No top 6 finish in the top two divisions for nearly 50 years beats pretty much anything in the third and fourth divisions.

Joy Division

There can't be many other teams other than Cov that have not had a big 'day out' in over 20 years. And by that I mean a trip to Wembley for any competition or a promotion of some kind.

People talk of our time in the Premier league with affection and sure, there were some good times but generally we were turned over most weeks. Competing in the Premiership and doing well is great, being there and barely surviving isn't so good in my eyes.

CJparker

After Monday, I think it must be as depressing as hell to be a Walsall fan!

Sheffield Wednesday are a similar case to us -years of mediocrity with no obvious sign of improvement

Middlesbrough because, well, you'd have to go to Middlesbrough

Has always struck me that being a Bristol Rovers fan must be a miserable existence - awful ground, a shadow of their former selves (even their 'good old days' weren't very good!) and overshadowed by local rivals - Bristol City...imagine being overshadowed by Bristol fucking City!!

Hartlepool, though a nice place, have zero prospect of every doing any better than where they are now

So in short, we're not on our own!

Houdi

After Monday, I think it must be as depressing as hell to be a Walsall fan!

Sheffield Wednesday are a similar case to us -years of mediocrity with no obvious sign of improvement

Middlesbrough because, well, you'd have to go to Middlesbrough

Has always struck me that being a Bristol Rovers fan must be a miserable existence - awful ground, a shadow of their former selves (even their 'good old days' weren't very good!) and overshadowed by local rivals - Bristol City...imagine being overshadowed by Bristol fucking City!!

Hartlepool, though a nice place, have zero prospect of every doing any better than where they are now

So in short, we're not on our own!
Well a friend who is a Coventry fan living in Bristol,has repeatedly told me that,Bristol f....ing Rovers have been to Wembley or the Millenium Stadium four times since we won the FA Cup in 1987.For sustained mediocrity no other club comes close to matching our 'success' of non achievment.Hence the 31000 fans who turned up for the JPT match versus Crewe,where funningly I don't remember hearing a single SISU out chant.;)

Last edited:

torchomatic

The thing is you support the team you support. We all want success, but like many things in life there's no guarantee. You either keep supporting your team or you don't.

Gint11

No the premier League is the biggest. Teams like Wimbledon before reforming, Luton town, Oxford United and Stockport County have had it bad in recent years and been down at the conference etc.

skybluesam66

as i enjoyed the mark robins period - winning in any league is better than losing in any league

so as an outsider - no we are not, but as a fan, then yes we are

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Last edited:

LastGarrison

No the premier League is the biggest. Teams like Wimbledon before reforming, Luton town, Oxford United and Stockport County have had it bad in recent years and been down at the conference etc.

I see both your and SkyBlueGods point about the league but for me the FA Cup is still the pinnacle English trophy.

And before we get into the whole debate I know it has been devalued by certain teams over the years but as a kid, and still now, the FA Cup was the one thing I always wanted us to win. For years the 3rd round draw was the thing I looked forward to the most each season.

As I'm only 18 the only memory of the premiership I have is getting relegated, followed by 11 years of mediocrity, then relegation. Now it looks as if another period of being lower / mid table is on the way... But I wouldn't change it for the world.

ajsccfc

To suggest we somehow have it the worst just suggests a shocking lack of awareness of the plight of the vast majority of fans. It's all a bit 'woe is me', especially when people claim we're the laughing stock of English football. As if English football cares enough.

Last edited:

Baginton

Rochdale are surley contenders, Rochdale played 36 consecutive seasons in the Football League's bottom division from 1974 to 2010

no promotion / no relegation :sleep::sleep:

SkyBlueHomer

But have the most loyal hardcore set of supporters in the country maybe?

How many clubs would be getting support we get if they had been through the same for the past 15 or so years?
1st time I went to Old Trafford there was less than 30k there, we won 1-0 Gary Bannister scoring, around 1989 I think

Joy Division

Being competitive and doing well in your division for me is a good indication to success. Some people seem to think just being in the premier league means you are more successful than any other team. So if Arsenal finish say 14th next season in the Premier league and Barnet finish 3rd in League 2 it still means Arsenal have had a better season because of the gap in divisions? No chance, fans have different expectations relative to their club. Someone mentioned Stockport, they are currently only one league below that of where they have spent the majority of their time.

play_in_skyblue_stripes

Yes Coventry fans have had a lot to put up with but to be honest we should still be getting more fans than we do. Even in slightly better times our gates were disappointing.

I too was at that 1989 game only 29K I remember. My first and last top flight away game was at Old Trafford, 1970 (only 7 then) and 2001. It was only in relatively recent times that Man United achieved a better win record over us. For a long time we had a very good record against them. That changed dramatically from around 1994 onwards with constant drubbings after that.

davebart

To suggest we somehow have it the worst just suggests a shocking lack of awareness of the plight of the vast majority of fans. It's all a bit 'woe is me', especially when people claim we're the laughing stock of English football. As if English football cares enough.

I always used to feel sorry for supporters of clubs like Rochdale but the things that have gone on over the last 13 years for us have made me less smug. Even when we have a season when we win more than we lose there is all the other shit going on which sucks the pleasure out of it.

If only we hadn't made a hash of that first leg of the JPT semi final.

Last edited:

Covstar

Rochdale are surley contenders, Rochdale played 36 consecutive seasons in the Football League's bottom division from 1974 to 2010

no promotion / no relegation :sleep::sleep:

One of my mate is a Rochdale fan and he's told me that league 2 is basically called the Rochdale Division. In their 106 year history, they have only managed 2 promotions and they were both from the 4th tier. Their 2nd ever promotion came in 2010 and their highest ever league finish is 9th in league one.

So to answer the question of this thread, no. We are not the worst team to support in England. There are also other teams that are much more worse off than us. Saying that we are is just showing ignorance and a lack of awareness towards other fans.

Brighton Sky Blue

Worst in the whole of England? No. Worst in the FL? Possibly, if you're looking at it purely on statistics. The last 13 years which some of us have only to go on, have been especially uninspiring.

skybluesam66

i am nearly 50 (41 years of going to matches regularly)

number of times we have finished among the top 30% of the league we are in in that time 0

ie we have never been very competitive in the league we have been in , in half a lifetime

on a saturday night - i dont get happy because we are in a certain division, i get happy if we win

RoboCCFC90

No way! Statistics may say we have not been great over 30 years, but surely supporting the scum is supporting the worst team in England.. Knowing that your hated by every other Football fan, have no aspirations and being generally crap must be suicidal..

covcity4life

yes we are one of the worst teams to support

can debate if we are THE worst,but there is no doubting we are on of the worst to support and have been for a while now

play_in_skyblue_stripes

I certainly believe that for population and expections Coventry are the most disappointing team in the whole of England.

Its sad but true. I love the Sky Blues which will never go away.

This may annoy some of you but I think the fans ourselves are partly to blame for accepting mediocrity for so long.

SBS

I got my first season ticket when we finished 11th in the PL under Strachan. Robbie Keane season aside, its been pretty awful. I feel lucky to have seen us in the top flight and I think our supporters who didn't can argue that they've supported the worst team in England. We've done nothing apart from beat a weakened Man Utd team since 2000. This season's been the most entertaining for years, even though it's all gone tits up now.

NottsCov

My dad's a Pools fan so I've been to many games with him. Since we went down in 2001 they've had 2 automatic promotions, 3 playoff semi finals, a playoff final and 2 (1 pending) relegations. Never a dull moment!

@richh87

If you like winning football games, then yes, we are undoubtedly the worst team to support in English professional football.

Users who are viewing this thread